Please sign in to post.

Mona Winks

Do you publish this book anymore? I'm having trouble finding it and I find it very helpful! The tips on access to museums and the best time/way to view a popular piece of art (the Mona Lisa is a great example!) is invaluable. Please tell me how I can find Mona Winks again or where the information is located. Thank you.

Posted by
4412 posts

"Mona Winks" is available used at Amazon, starting at about $4.50 and up ($0.52 + 3.99 S&H, 5th ed). It's been out-of-print for years. Do be aware that art is moved around in museums all of the time, so any printed 'tour' is likely to be out-of-order. IF you have the guidebook for a particular city where a museum you'd like to visit is located, the pertinent chapter that was in "Mona Winks" is now included in the 'regular' guidebooks now! Also, if you can use this, RS's "Audio Europe" tour app is great! Walking tours (city, museums, tourist sites), maps, etc., are included, along with many podcasts from his radio show. Here's the link: http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

Posted by
9369 posts

I'm pretty sure it is out of print, but you could probably find used copies on eBay or somewhere. I'm not sure how much use old information on the best times to view museums would be - you would think that might change over time. Still, if you are trying to ask the RS office if it is still available, you could use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to send them an email. This helpline is only "staffed" by volunteers, not office staff.

Posted by
5790 posts

Much of the info that was in "Mona Winks" is now in the relevant city guidebooks. For example, in the "Rick Steves Paris" Guidebook there is a Louvre Tour, Orsay Tour, Orangerie Tour, Rodin Museum Tour, Marmottan Tour, Cluny Tour, etc.

Posted by
989 posts

Yes, Mona Winks is out of print, but since the permanent collections of these museums are usually pretty stable,and since museums don't rearrange their rooms on a frequent basis, you will find most of the info and self-tour routes are still relevant. Yes, most of the information from Mona Winks was transferred to the various city guides but that would be seven separate city guides. Personally I like having all the great museums in one resource. Especially since I bought my copy of the 4th edition on Amazon a couple of years ago for less $4.00, that included shipping. It was in pristine condition, I don't think the prvious owner had even opened the book once. There are currently 34 copies of the 5th edition available on Amazon, starting at $0.57.
Another good purchase is Rick's Europe 101, it's like a refresher of Western Civ 101 and Art History 101 - if you've forgotten those classes from college. Nice colour pics on nice paper, (not sure if it's still in print) also available from Amazon starting at 1 penny. Like most of the RS books, they are both easy and entertaining reading.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your replies. I suspected this information had moved to the individual city books, but haven't purchased one recently. Good to know the info is still available. I do however really enjoy the information in one place.

Posted by
11507 posts

Second hand book stores rock,, goodness who wants to pay for new when you can get if for 4 bucks like I did! Just spend a bit of time perusing the used travel book sections! PS Best entrance for Louvre is underground Caroseul Mall entrance, and most guide books will tell you that! Still the book is interesting so get shopping!

Posted by
2601 posts

Recently I've seen several copies of Mona Winks at local Goodwill stores, so check the thrift stores in your area (you never know!). I agree it's a fun read alone, but as others have said most of the info is now included in the guidebooks.