Please sign in to post.

Messenger Bags for Men

I'm still looking for a decent messenger bag. I have the RS Civita Shoulder Bag but I don't like the new fabric. I have the old style Pacsafe Metrosafe 200 but the zipper locks were poorly designed. (The newer models have a better design.) I also have a Veloce which I use for day trips but is too big for my European travel.

So, I'm looking for something about the size of the above mentioned bags. Any suggestions?

Posted by
951 posts

North Face has a nice messenger bag (I believe it is the Shifty model)that even has a waist belt for extra stabilization of the pack. It does not come with a plethora of compartments that will send you on a hunt for a wallet that you keep meaning to put in the same place, but you just don't. My boyfriend uses it for our travels. I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag. I love it. It has the strongest Velcro closure know to man that makes the most obnoxious sound upon opening, so if someone tried to get in, you would know and have time to karate chop. In addition to the Velcro closure, it also clips. It has a waste belt as well and 2 compartments so once again you won't have 12 compartments to look thru when you search for the wallet you can't seem to put in the same place. Both fabrics are waterproof, I believe the fabric is Ballistics, PVC tarpaulin. The timbuk2 bag has nice reflectors for nighttime.
If you Google shop these 2 bags, you could find them pretty cheap. But if you buy a Timbuk2 messenger back new, they are not cheap. I picked up mine at a Marshall's for $25. Brand new on line, they can run over a $100.

Posted by
85 posts

I got a nice one at REI. They have a great selection - lots of different sizes and styles.

Posted by
1201 posts

You might want to take a look at the Tom Bihn Cafe bags. three sizes and sort of the vertical orientation of the ones you mentioned.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/CTGY/200

Timbuk2 has some smaller bags in the traditional horizontal orientation. Small and extra small would be in the size range.

Sierra Trading Post has a pretty good selection right now and there is a 25% off dealflyer coupon good till 5/13.

Take a look at the Timbuk2 classic in small or xsmall and the Eula.

Posted by
223 posts

I have taken the Patagonia half mass bag on a couple trips and been pretty happy with it.

Posted by
1266 posts

Frank II - I use a Osprey Elroy for both work and travel.

Posted by
2193 posts

Frank II: I’ll second Timbuk2 messenger bags. I use their Metro Messenger model as a daybag...tough bag!