Please sign in to post.

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all the Helpline readers and contributors. May you all experience peace of spirit, joy of companionship and anticipation of many happy travels in the year to come!!!

Now to make this 'acceptable' for the helpline...

My family has a tradition of the "Christmas Eve Gift". In my grandfather's family, the various 'cousins' would visit around. The first person to see a member of another family would yell out "Christmas Eve Gift" and the person they said this to would owe him or her an immediate gift (usually this was a homemade treat such as a popcorn ball, candy, etc.- they were certainly not a wealthy family- quite the opposite).

So- who wants to share their own Christmas tradition(s) or one they experienced on their travels?????

Posted by
32321 posts

Toni,

I'd also like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas along with a happy and healthy New Year (hopefully with many wonderful travels).

I can't think of any Christmas traditions at the moment.

Posted by
10544 posts

Merry Christmas!

My family didn't celebrate Christmas when I was growing up, so the only tradition we had was to be taunted by the neighbor kids showing off all their new things. I'm sure I overcompensated with my kids. I did get my very first Christmas stocking tonight. :-)

Posted by
33457 posts

Ho Ho Ho!!!! Meeerrrrryyy Christmas!!!

No traditions other than walking cards around to the neighbors on Christmas Eve.

Posted by
9145 posts

Merry Christmas to all of you!

The traditions have changed over the years as the kids grew up, but we do try to get downtown for the Pealing of the Bells at 17:00. Last year though we began helping out at the Christmas Eve Dinner & Breakfast for the Homeless/Less Fortunate of Frankfurt. Daughter & I helped last year at dinner, son & I helped this year at dinner, and I then headed back to help with breakfast this morning at 06:00. So, a new tradition has been born.

Posted by
10028 posts

Merry Christmas to all!

I can't think of any interesting unique traditions, but I think my favorite thing I ever did while in Europe for Christmas was the first year I was living in Paris, when my parents and brother and sister-in-law came to visit and we went to the international service at Notre Dame (we're too lazy to stay up for midnight!).

The service, with the readings and prayers etc. alternated between French, German, English, Spanish, and Italian, as I recall (maybe some additional ones as well). I've had at least a smattering of all those languages in school, and just found it magical to hear/see the so-familiar scripture from the second chapter of Luke resonate in these other European languages. Thinking about it now makes me realize I should have made the effort to go over there again last night.

Anyhooooo, Merry Christmas to the Helpliners!

Posted by
4181 posts

My most memorable Christmas ever was attending midnight mass at St. Peter's Basilica in 1977. At the hostel in Florence I ran into an Aussie I had met months earlier at the hostel in Bath. She and I decided to go to Rome for Christmas and share a room in a pensione. We got on the train and it was standing room only, but we struck up a conversation with an Italian guy who said he would help us see a bit of Rome and get tickets to the mass. No snickering out there, he was a nice person.

He did take us around a bit in his car, but he discovered that there were no tickets to be had for the seating, so he went inside St. Peter's with us and showed us what we needed to do to get the best view. It was still a couple of days before Christmas Eve, but everything was already set up.

We followed his instructions and advice and managed to get a viewing spot right at the corner of the back of the seats and the blocked off aisle. We did what he told us to do. We arrived by cram packed bus at 22:00 and worked our way through the crowd to be as close to the steps as possible. Everyone knew there would be a long wait. The crowd was happy and people spontaneously sang Christmas carols in a variety of languages. That was a special experience in and of itself.

We waited with the crowd for an hour until we were let in at 23:00. We held hands and rushed up the stairs when the doors opened. Knowing exactly where we wanted to go, we got to our spot quickly and stayed put. We waited another hour as the Basilica filled up with people who had seats. The standing room only was already full.

They carried Pope Paul VI up the aisle from the entrance on a litter. This turned out to be his last Christmas mass. He passed within a few feet of us and blessed us both. She was Catholic and I am not. I thought it would be much less of a big deal for me than for her, but I have to admit having the Pope look directly into my eyes and make the sign of the cross made a big impression on me.

The mass began at midnight and lasted at least an hour. When it was over and we finally made our way out of St. Peter's, there was no public transportation available and there were no taxis either. While we were waiting inside for the mass to begin, we met an American woman who was studying architecture in Rome. She knew exactly where we were staying and actually lived nearby, so we three walked home together. I think we got back to our room at about 03:00.

It had been a total of about 5 hours on our feet, standing and walking, but it was an experience that I will always treasure and one of the few times that I have ever truly felt the spirit of the season.

Posted by
1976 posts

Merry Christmas!

The "traditional" Christmas Day activities for many American Jews are made up of going to a movie and eating lunch or dinner in a Chinese restaurant, since those are the only 2 businesses open on Christmas Day.

I've been to a couple of Midnight Masses in St. Louis at our New Cathedral, built in the Byzantine style, complete with gold mosaics on the ceiling. It's a really cool experience for me. I love the performative aspect of Catholic mass (is that redundant?) and the full sensory experience - listening to singing, smelling incense, watching the processions up to the altar and the raising of the Host and the wine.

Posted by
9086 posts

Merry Christmas one and all.

My mother, rest her soul, was a cross between Lucy and Betty White as Sue Anne Nivens.

The Christmas tradition Mom practiced each year was to have packages with gift cards that read "To: Mary From: Santa."

How great is that?!!!

My favorite travel Christmas Eve was in London exiting St. Paul's Midnight Mass to a light snowfall as the church bells peeled.

My favorite Christmas Day also happened in London. We'd watched the annual Peter Pan Cup Race in the Serpentine and were slowly making our way back to our Bayswater lodgings. We were enjoying seeing everyone out and about with new Christmas bikes, strollers, etc.

Much to Bill's discomfort I was wearing felt reindeer antlers. After we'd fed the ducks at the Round Pound were walking along a path and an older British couple was heading towards us. They were impeccably dressed. Very refined. As they got near the woman broke into the largest smile and said, "Bloody Hell, someone who really has the Christmas Spirit. Brilliant my dear!"

We had a nice chat and parted ways.

No antlers today but I did have my Santa Hat on during my pre dawn hike on the Charlie Turner trail in Griffith Park.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Posted by
5678 posts

Merry Christmas! Our Christmas tradition is. Our Carol Sing on the Saturday before Christmas Eve. We've held this party since 1960 in three different towns and four houses. Friends come at 8PM--the "orchestra" comes a bit earlier. We sing carols, eat cheese and drink punch with three sessions. The last ends at 11:30 PM with Auld Lang Syne and then we have a supper with turkey and ham and cookies and fruitcake and interesting salads. The number of people range from 45 to 70 in my mom 3-bedroom plus den house! This year was thinner due to the weather. We always have violins and piano. This year drums and flute were added. One year we had a string base. We miss the cello when it's not here.

My dad started this with my mom and Pete Kleinfelter because they missed singing in informal groups when they moved to Illinois from the East Coast. This is the third one we've had since my dad died. We'll keep going as long as my mom wants....

I'll add a question, what's your favorite carol? Mine may be "Winds through the Olive Trees," but then again maybe "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" is it.

Pam

Posted by
10544 posts

Sarah's post made me think about the one real tradition we have established. For the last 15 years we have gone to a movie on Christmas. The only years we missed were 5 years ago when we were on a flight to Amsterdam (but we still watched movies) and last year when we went to Disneyland. We saw Saving Mr. Banks today. We usually do the Chinese food on Christmas Eve.