Please sign in to post.

medications

We are traveling from the US to Germany and then from Hungary back to the US? What are the rules for traveling with prescription meds? I usually fill my 7 day pill sorter but will that be safe going through customs or do I need to bring the meds in their original bottles?

Posted by
3428 posts

TSA does NOT require that meds be in original bottle or label. Whether or not inspectors in other countries will worry about how you have your pills organized is always a question. BUT- I've never had a problem taking meds into other countries for my personal use (and we've had more than 40 international trips and average 12 or more domestic trips a year).
It is the INFORMATION that is important- esp.in case you have a medical emergency, or need a refill (lost meds, etc...)You should have the brand name of the medication (Ambien, etc.) and the generic name, and if no generic, a "chemical" name as brand names are not always the same. You can use your pill organizer and put the labels from the pharmacy on one sheet of paper with the organizer. You can ask your pharmacist to print you an extra label (or use the one they give you that is with the 'side effects" printout). Also, the ONE exception is that liquid meds of more than 3 oz should NOT be placed in your 3-1-1 bag, but should be in their own baggie, in the original bottle. I also carry an information sheet with the above info. It also had a list of all my doctors' phone #s, pharmacy's #, and emergency contact info as well a list medical conditions, surgeries & dates. If you become ill while traveling, or need a refill because you lost meds, etc. it could be vital. Feel free to private message me if you want a sample copy of the info sheet.

Posted by
223 posts

From TSA: Your text to link here... I read somewhere that if you have a dedicated bag of medically necessary things (gauze, not Kleenex, for example), you can add that to any carryon rule. I always bring a copy of prescriptions, even those I only might need. I am lucky in that my doctor prescribes OTC for that purpose.

Posted by
4412 posts

I'm from Jacksonville, but probably not from yours... ;-) What they said, but please bring an extra few days' worth - they can go down the sink drain, roll under your bed, etc. I'm always surprised how many people bring exactly the number of pills, then their flight gets delayed and now they don't have their heart/thyroid/whatever meds and they're in a flat-out panic.