Please sign in to post.

Medications

We are traveling to flying into Rome this week. Does anyone know the medication guideline to traveling with prescriptions? ie: Bring in carry on or check baggage? Have note from doctor? etc.

Posted by
9110 posts

I take mine in week-at-a-time containers. No notes, no original jugs, no prescriptions.

Nobody has ever looked twice or said squat.

Posted by
9100 posts

Technically you're supposed to keep all medications in their original containers. But entering the EU customs is low key, so the chances your bags will be searched is very low. Your real concern is when you return to the US. If you're chosen by US Customs to have your bags searched they'll hassle you if not in compliance. It's happened to me at Newark Airport.

Posted by
2297 posts

Take them in your carry-on. If your checked-in luggage with meds gets delayed you'd be without your medication and no avenue to replace them quickly.
Unless it's a substantial amount of liquid (over 100 ml) I wouldn't worry about a prescription. I carry mine in the original packaging, never had a prescription with me.

Posted by
1357 posts

Medications are the exception to the carry-on rules. The TSA website says that labeled containers aren't required, but they may speed up the process, so I'd make sure they're in the labeled containers. I took bottles of children's Tylenol and Benedryl in my carry-on on the last trip, in the ziplock bag with other fluids, didn't have a problem.

Posted by
332 posts

Carrying your prescription medicines in your carry on luggage in the original container is the safest course of action. Pain killers and narcotics should definitely be in their original containers. Although prescription pills pose no threat to the flying public, a TSA agent may make your life miserable over them, dreaming of making a drug bust like the real cops.

Posted by
11507 posts

steph,, anything that matters, prespcription drugs or over the counter,, camera, passport ,, etc,,should always ,,always be carried in your carry on luggage,, no matter when or where in the world you travel.

Checked luggage should only be clothes really,, stuff you can live without if bag is lost or delayed.

I always carry my prescriptions in their orginal bottles( that are labelled) ,, but I have one prescription I get in a large container, so I have asked pharmicist to give me a smaller labelled jar for travel. Works great.