Please sign in to post.

May2015 Finally almost done with bookings

Working out an itinerary is fun yet stressful. I am almost done and only have two more hotels to find and decide on which Hill Town I want to overnight in on my way to Rome. Here is what we have so far....

Arrive in Amsterdam for 3 nights.
Fly to Venice for 2 nights.
Train to Florence for the day to see the David (again) have lunch and on to Siena for 3 nights.
Drive South towards Rome and stay in a yet to be decided Hill Town 2 Nights
Drive to Rome 4 nights
Fly to Paris for 6 nights

Our Flights to and from Europe were based on availability of business class tickets that we could get for miles so we ended up into Amsterdam and out of Paris.

All that is left is a Hotel in Rome and wherever we decide to stay in Tuscany. Any comments or suggestions for anything and everything are welcome. If I have no other recommendations I tend to stick with the RS guides for restaurants but I am looking for some good food while touring Tuscany from Siena and as we head South.

Posted by
923 posts

For a hotel in Rome, I recommend Hotel Smeraldo. It's in a great location (near Campo de Fiore) and reasonably priced. If you would rather be near Termini station, Hotel Diocletian is a good choice.

Posted by
16895 posts

The area around Montalcino, Pienza, and Montepulciano is a good midpoint on the way to Rome, with plenty of Tuscan ambiance and sightseeing, whether you stay in one of those towns or a more rural agriturismo (with easy parking).

In the hilltowns themselves, expect a bit of a hike from the car park to a hotel or pension with your luggage. Here's what I've recently discovered about hilltown maps (for instance, in Montalcino): If a road looks short and direct, then it is straight uphill, perhaps even stairs. The flatter routes involve long switchbacks.

Posted by
8299 posts

Have you considered spending 2 nights in Florence, and visiting Siena by bus for a one day trip from Florence. I found Siena to be very congested (down the hill), and parking very difficult to find.

You could pickup the car as you leave Florence, spend the night south of Florence in an agriturismo or small hill town.

Heading south of Tuscany, Orvieto on the motorway and it is a very popular hill town. The Hertz office is across the street from the Orvieto train station. Many drop their cars there and take the local train into Rome Termini--70 minutes.

Posted by
1825 posts

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions everyone. I think I'll make a new post in the Italy forum since that is the only part of my trip I'm wavering on.