Please sign in to post.

May be going to Europe for the first time in July 2010!

So I've been dying to go forever now (turning 37 soon) and friends of ours are getting married in Mykonos. So we figure we'd go there for 5 days or so but we would also like to see another city (or two) while out that way. I am thinking Paris for a week then off to Mykonos? Only reason I am choosing Paris is because of what others have told me saying how Paris feels like Europe. I was also considering Italy and southern France but really have no idea where to start.

It will just be my wife and myself, we are leaving our daughter back home with her sister. My wife enjoys shopping, people watching and beaches. No hanging out at beaches in Paris but there's always Mykonos. I don't like shopping as much but will look around. We wouldn't mind sightseeing a bit but we are not hardcore about it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Posted by
3313 posts

Dino, be sure to look at a map. Paris would be a great choice for your first time in Europe. From there you would likely need to fly to Athens and then to Mykonos. And then back. But if you have that extra week before the wedding, I'd recommend Paris.

Posted by
23269 posts

Of course, our usual comment is read the guidebooks, watch travel DVDs, and do your home work. In my opinion most of Europe feels like Europe and I think you would get a good feel whether it was Paris, Rome, Athens, or a number of other places. But Paris is certainly a good starting point. Consider an open jaws ticket of flying into Paris and home from Athens. Five days in Paris would be reasonable with a day trip to the countryside. Fly on to Mykonos via Athens for your wedding. Return to Athens for a couple of days and come home. Or if you have extra time, fly to Rome for a few days and come home from Rome. But you do need to spend time doing the research since only you knows what appeals to you.

Posted by
32212 posts

Dino,

Since this is your first trip, you might want to have a look at a copy of Europe Through The Back Door. That will provide you with lots of information on travelling in Europe, including Itinerary planning.

How long will your trip be in total? One thing to keep in mind is that you'll arrive in Europe the day after you departed. Paris is definitely a good place to consider, but "where to start" will probably depend on what you're most interested in seeing.

If you'll be travelling from Paris to Greece for the wedding, XL Airways France (charter) lists flights from CDG to Mykonons (JMK). You could also travel from Paris ORY to Athens via EasyJet. From Athens you might enjoy a Ferry or one of the fast boats to Mykonos. One point to mention about the "budget" airlines in Europe is that they usually have VERY restrictive baggage limits, so be sure to pack light!

July is not the best time to travel in Europe, as that's peak travel season and it will be hot and likely CROWDED! In those circumstances, I'd make sure that Hotel reservations and travel details were well planned.

For some information on Mykonos (and Greece in general), you may enjoy having a look at www.greecetravel.com as there's an enormous amount of information there (including great descriptions of the foods).

Cheers!

Posted by
11507 posts

Lucky you,, Paris and Mykonos,, life does not get better then that,, LOL.

I am a die hard Paris person,, but,, I would personally spend the other week island hopping,, Paros, Naxos , or Santorini( not all three,, maybe just two more). I just don't like to rush much.

I dislike shopping,,so for me its hard to concieve of it as a fun activity,,, but,,your wife would love Paris for that... ( bring money,,,lots and lots of money,, LOL )

Flights are long from west coast,, so I guess depending on what you find,, it might be a good idea to break trip in Paris,, and take a cheopo airline to Mykonos from there anyways..

Anyways,, no matter what you decide,, Paris and Mykonos, both VERY different, both wonderful places,, summer or not.. lucky you!