Please sign in to post.

May 5-22, 2017 London, Paris, (Venice?), Rome for the first time!

Hello All,

I have finally decided to travel outside of North America for the first time with my boyfriend! It will probably be the first and only time for a long time as we plan to settle down afterwards. I have decided these dates as I wanted to tail it with a Statutory Holiday in Canada for a little extra time off from work. The other option was Aug 18-Sept 4, 2017 but I thought it would be less expensive, crowded, and hot in May. Is this accurate and the better dates to go with?

We want to hit all the big cities and sight see during this trip and completely experience everything we can as much as we can. We would greatly appreciate all tips to help plan this trip of a lifetime.

My general itinerary so far is:

May 5, Day 1- Fly from Canada to London (Any specific airport to choose?) Stay in London for 5 days.
Would like to see Picadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath.

Am i missing anything? Is there any suggestions on where to stay?

May 11, Day 7 - Travel to Paris by EuroStar. Stay in Paris for 5 days (Is five days too long?)
Would like to see Eiffle Tower, Louvre Museum, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame Cathedal, Champ Elyse, Versaille
Am I missing any sites? Any specific place to stay?

May 16, Day 12 - Travel to Venice. Should we travel by plane or train?
Only thing i know of here is to ride a Gondola and then head out to Rome next day.
Where should we stay?

May 18, Day 15 - Travel to Rome by train?
Would like to see the Vatican, Colleseum, Panthenon, Trevi Fountain, Sistine Chapel, Capitoline, Roman Forum, Piazza di Spagna.
Anything else to see and where to stay?

May 22, Day 18 - Fly back home to Canada.

I have tried looking up guides but keep feeling so overwhelmed. Any guidance is much appreciated. Venice and Rome is interchangeable if the transportation is better. Sorry for such a long post but please let me know if any of my itinerary is too short or too long. I was thinking adding Venice might be a stretch but i would love to ride in those gondolas like at the Venetian in Las Vegas.

I would also like to know when would be the best times to start booking all the flights and trains and hotels. I was thinking airbnb.com for the hotels but we aren't very picky so long as it is safe and clean to store our stuff, shower, and sleep.

Thank you again.

Posted by
7175 posts

May 19 (not 18) = Day 15
If you left Venice very early you could make a day stop in Florence, depositing your luggage at the station (very easy), checking out the Duomo, Piazza della Signoria and Ponte Vecchio, before continuing on to Rome in the early evening. You would need to make separate train bookings however.

Overall you have a great trip planned.

ps. Fly from Paris to Venice.

Posted by
1008 posts

I think it looks great, though I may steal a day from somewhere for at least 2 nights in Venice. I loved it there so much. Mainly we just wandered around (though we had the kids in tow... would have been even better if it was just husband and me!). It was so great.

If you go to Venice, you can definitely take a gondola ride, but I would also suggest rowvenice.org. A couple of ladies take you out on a ....batello? I think? More stable than a gondola. And you learn to row and see a quieter side of Venice. You can even stand on top like a gondolier. It was super fun.

We stayed at a vrbo in Dorsoduro and liked it very much. Canareggio along the big canal was wonderful as well.

Have a great trip!

Kim

Posted by
7646 posts

Hi Jenn,

You're going to some nice highlights of Europe. I would take a day from Paris or London and give it to Venice. Venice is unlike anywhere else! With your short time in Venice, be sure to stay on the islands and not the mainland - just put the address into a web map site and see.

You can check out train transportation times & options on www.rome2rio.com which points to websites for booking trips.

Another option while you're in Rome is to walk through Ostia Antica. We planned a couple of hours and stayed several.

The Louvre Museum is open Thursday (I think that's the day) evenings, so take advantage of day-light for outdoor activities. Also, I recommend going on a boat ride one of the evenings. Paris is gorgeous from the water lit up at night. And, since that is your first trip to Paris, take a metro to the Sacre Coeur - fun to walk around the neighborhood area & see the artists in the courtyard - Place du Tertre.

Posted by
11636 posts

In Paris, try to see the Musee d'Orsay. (Much more accessible than the Louvre (although you should go there too, but you cannot see it all).

One nice way to plan your days in the cities is to use the self-guided walks in the Rick Steves' Guides. Also, look at Rick's day plans for each city. They will help you spend your time wisely and minimize the overwhelmed feeling! You can always skip something that does not interest you, but there's so much more to each location than you have listed. His plans also include some audio guides on MP3 which are very helpful. Rick also has hotel recommendations and some are much better deals than AirBNB. As you are a first time European traveler, skip apartments and stay where you can interact with someone who can give you some guidance when needed: small hotels and B&Bs.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you for the responses! I am thinking we will night train out of Paris and spend a day and night in Venice then head to Rome next morning. I will definitely look further in depth into ricks guides for sure. The other thing we were actually thinking of was how we were gonna get around to see all the sights listed either by tour or alone. My boyfriend is afraid we would waste time looking around than a tour but maybe his self walking tour books will help. Any further help is much appreciated. I know this is extremely early to plan but I am such a worry wart and get stressed when I don't know where and when I'm going somewhere. I'll try to leave some space for spontinutity though! Just a little lol

Posted by
1008 posts

I get you! I am super planner too. I have crazy spreadsheets with all hours planned out meals too. However, I don't pack in every minute, we maybe do 2 big sights per day, plan time for rest and general exploring. However, we are always open to change the plan if need be! I just like to know where we are planning to be, and eat... Because my family really starts melting down without food! Have a great trip! We did London Paris on one trip, and Rome and Venice on another. If you want my spreadsheets, just pm your email address to me!

Kim

Posted by
11636 posts

It is not too early to plan! I make reservations for lodging as far in advance as possible, often 6-9 months out, and I buy my non-refundable high-speed train tickets the day they go on sale for max discount. Read Rick's books and understand where pre-booking sites you want to see can save you time and money. Watch his shows, which are streamable on this website.

FYI, there's a lot more to Venice than a gondola ride.

Posted by
1282 posts

If the only thing drawing you to Venice is to ride a gondola, then forget it. 80 euro for a 40 minute ride, for the most cliched experience possible.

Posted by
1366 posts

Since you are a first time visitor I suggest you start at each place with a HOHO tour. It's VERY touristy so don't tell anyone - lol - but it will give you a good overview. For London look here http://www.londontoolkit.com/blog/daytrips/tours/comparing-londons-hop-on-hop-off-sightseeing-buses/

For other places search for "city name" hop on hop off.

Good luck.

Ohh - and I agree with the comment on Venice. It is a marvelous place, but a gondola tour is WAY overrated.

Posted by
3941 posts

It is generally cheaper flying into Gatwick, but from Canada you don't have much choice of airlines. We usually go with Air Canada to Heathrow as it is a direct flight from Halifax and we most often are using our air miles.

Five days is def not too long for Paris - I've had 8-9 nights over 3 visits and still want more.

Night trains aren't all they are cracked up to be - especially with cheap flights. We did a night train in 2010 from Salzburg to Venice. Not my fondest memories, and other than saving $ on accoms, it was expensive as hubby and I wanted a private compartment.

And Venice is so so much more than a gondola ride. I've been there 4 times and haven't fallen into that trap yet. Try to stay in the city of you can - there are some good deals to be found. After staying 10 nights or so over 4 trips, I still want to go back for more.

Posted by
16 posts

Hi All,

I have ordered the Europe through the backdoor guidebook and am looking forward to crushing down my itinerary. Here is what i have. This is based on i am able to fly out on friday and leave work a little early, otherwise everything backs up by a day and something is cut out.
May 5 - Overnight flight to London
May 6 - Arrive in London. Check in, eat, pass out.
May 7-10 - London. One day will be spent on a tour to Stone Henge, Windsor Castle and Bath
May 11 - Early morning Eurostar to Paris. Check in, eat, walk around a bit and pass out.
May 12-14 - Paris
May 15 - Paris then overnight train to Venice although now I am considering flying to save the hassle of a restless night then having to recover the nest day.
May 16 - Venice check in, eat, gondola (my once in a lifetime, don't judge!!), walk around all day (This is my "spontaneous" night as i don't have very much planned for Venice. More of a winging it day)
May 17 - Spend more time in Venice then Train to Rome. Check in, eat, walk around, pass out.
May 18-21 Rome
May 22 - Pack up and head home to Canada!
Anything I should edit?
If I do not leave friday afternoon due to work then i will cut out a day somewhere and bump everything up. I wonder if more time should be spent in Paris than London. I want to figure out the main cities so i could start formulating a plan for hotels.

I have printed out Points of Interests maps for each city and am slowly figuring out the outer shell. I find figuring out the in between and getting to all these sights difficult but at least i have a ballpark idea. Can't wait to get the book and am now in search of a great point and shoot camera for these memories! (I printed iphone and samsung pictures recently and was so disappointed..I know it looks great on the screen but i plan to make an album once home.)

Posted by
3941 posts

Not sure if you know about the great discounts for purchasing the Eurostar ticket in advance. I think you can purchase 4 mos ahead...but it will lock you into a time and date. If you know for sure, then get the tix at the earliest date for best savings. With our dollar so poor against the pound, you need your savings where you can get it.

Posted by
11636 posts

May 6 - Arrive in London. Check in, eat, pass out.

Best way to get over jetlag, IMO, is to not pass out too early. Arrive, check-in, shower, unpack. Then get outside, take a walk. (Do not go to a museum.) If you have arrived early, like 9:00am as many flights do, get a light lunch, no alcohol. Walk some more. If you have to, take a 90 minutes MAX nap at 4:30pm. Go out to dinner about 7:00pm, then pass out about 10:00pm. Hopefully you will sleep through to 6:00 or 7:00am, ready to seize the day! I sometimes allow myself a one hour nap the afternoon of the second day, about 4:00pm. Then I am good for the duration.

Posted by
101 posts

Check internet for London Walks & Paris Walks (different companies). We've used both last April, and enjoyed their guides--lots of choices. Tours last about 2 hrs & describe how to meet the guide. Most do not require reservation, just show up on time--make sure guide has "Walks badge" ( avoid the knock off tours) . Enjoy!

Posted by
6113 posts

Please don't cover Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath all in the same day from London. This can't be successfully squeezed into one day and you will spend far longer in transit sat on a bus than you will experiencing the sights. Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square are quick walk throughs and not attractions in their own right. Any airport will suffice, as they are all miles out of town. I prefer Gatwick as it is usually quicker to get through, although none are quick.

Having returned on Thursday from 8 days in Venice (surprisingly busy already), I suggest that you aren't allocating anywhere near enough time there to even scratch the surface. I am another that believes that gondola rides are the biggest mistake ripoff in Europe. The Doges Palace (better value than a gondola) took us over 3 hours and it will be much busier in May. This and the adjacent St Marks are the 2 essentials in Venice.

Night trains are not comfortable and I would recommend early morning flights or trains instead, as you don't have any chill days in your schedule to catch up on a poor nights sleep.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks again everyone

I didn't think of that for the jetlag. It'll be a harsh first day in london having to stay awake but we will try for sure.
Saint Marks basilica was on my to go list for venice. I think it will be worth a look see and a break from the hustle and bustle of big cities.
Postcards are a great idea I almost forgot. I'll also send some to family back home!