Please sign in to post.

March 2022 -- Beginning stages of itinerary

Hi all!
This is my very first post. I've been reading for years but thought it's time to ask away, so here goes.
I had our dream trip booked for May 2020 and of course that didn't happen. I'm in the very beginning stages of starting all over again. I've learned some things since then so I'm starting from scratch. I'm reaching out to you to see if I'm on track..

A little background: I'm 28, and will be traveling with my mom, who is a young 58. I've been to Paris, Nice, Monaco, Pisa, Florence and Rome on a high school trip about 11 years ago. We've done quite a bit of traveling around North America since then, but this will be my biggest undertaking yet. I should also note that it has been my dream to show my mom all that I got to see and experience on that trip, so this will be a mix of new cities and a few I've been to so we can explore together.

This is the current idea:

5 nights (5 days) in London (arriving from NS so jet lag is a factor)
Take Eurostar
2 nights (1.5 days) in Paris - my least favorite but there's a few bucket list items here that can't be ignored for her
Fly
3 nights (2.5 days) in Venice
Train
4 nights (3.5 days) in Florence (my favorite city from previous trip)
Train
3 nights (2.5 days) in Rome
Fly home next morning

Does it sound balanced given our preferences?
Anything I might be overlooking?

A few more things: We're not big museum buffs..we will of course hit a few but overall our goals are to see and experience the sights, have time to wander and explore, enjoy great food and make some wonderful memories.

I was planning on staying near our transfer points ie: Kings Cross in London, Santa Maria Novella in Florence and Termini Station area in Rome to make those easier. We are notorious over packers (a problem, I know) and huge shoppers so trying to make those transfers as easy as possible.

Open to thoughts/advice on this plan.

Posted by
4910 posts

Your itinerary has a logical progression, but I wonder if you are shortchanging both Paris and Rome. If you could add a few more days to your trip, splitting them between these 2 would be very worthwhile. I'm not sure you could even see all of the top attractions in the time currently allotted. Even with that, I think it would be hard to find much time to relax and enjoy.

Staying near transfer points- there are many good places to stay near those stations, and easy access to local transportation. But I wouldn't recommend staying near Gare du Nord in Paris. Take a taxi to a hotel in a less congested area- there are many recommendations if you do a search. You can take a taxi to the airport for a fixed fee if you stay in central Paris.

Posted by
205 posts

Adding more days really isn't an option both budget wise and vacation time wise. I do realize Paris in particular is tight, but our goals there are minimal:

See Notre Dame
Go up Eiffel Tower
Seine river cruise at dusk
Climb Arc de Triomphe
Explore along the banks of the Seine

As for Rome, I thought we would spend about a half day at the Vatican, a little less than that at the Colleseum and spend the rest of the time walking the streets around Piazza Navona, Trevi fountain and surrounding areas.

Posted by
11226 posts

Given your time constraints and desires, you may want to consider adding a day to Rome, offset by a one night reduction in Venice.

I have spent 4 weeks in Italy with a 21" carry on and 20 liter backpack. When I got home realized I had stuff I did not use.

Start thinking "smaller" NOW.

EDIT
The area of Rome is so much bigger than Venice, I thought an extra day in Rome would give you more time to 'wander and explore'. I neglected to factor in the 'huge shoppers' aspect, so the 3/3 allocation probably is the better choice for you.

Posted by
205 posts

What do you think we would gain with the extra day in Rome vs Venice?

I was thinking it might be nice to see Murano and Burano with the extra time. I also thought the shopping might be a bit more unique than in Rome but I definitely could be wrong.

A big part of my first trip was finding some unique souvenirs..brought home some treasures and I'd love to experience that again.

Posted by
27209 posts

I think cutting Venice to two nights isn't a good idea. It will limit how much wandering you can do away from the crowds, which to me is the best thing about Venice. Venice is known for its glass, but there's a lot of imported schlock for sale, so do a bit of research ahead of time so you know how to identify the locally-made work (which I think will not be cheap). Masks are another popular local souvenir. In general, though, I bet there's a higher percentage of junk being sold in Venice than in Rome, simply because of the tourist load.

I imagine you know that you cannot go inside Notre Dame. I'm not sure how good a look you can get at the exterior these days; perhaps that's not terribly compromised.

Posted by
205 posts

Yes we do know about Notre Dame.. What's the shopping like in Rome? Are there a couple streets that could be worked into our walking plans?

Posted by
4910 posts

If shopping is your goal, and you're looking for "unique" items, then you need to research what each city or area is known for; what it's artisans specialize in. All places you mention are major tourist centers, so most souvenir stuff will be mass produced in China. Know before you go, and be selective. You can go low end and check out the better known street or flea markets. Or you can go high end and visit galleries and boutiques. Depends on your budget. My souvenir budget hasnt shrunk much over the years. But now I might bring home one quality item instead of a suitcase full of stuff that ends up in a garage sale in a couple of years.

Posted by
10230 posts

I think you are moving around too much and shortchanging both Paris and Rome. Since Paris is your least favorite stop, you should just skip it, fly directly to Venice and add that tiny bit of time onto Rome. It's not worth the effort and money to see and do only a couple of things in Paris. You can plan to return.
Perhaps another trip, staying in a different part of Paris from where your school group stayed, you'd like the city better.

Posted by
205 posts

Not the "goal" per se, but we do enjoy wandering through markets or tiny shops so we'd like to have a bit of time for that. The "bouquinistes" I've read about in Paris are right up our alley.

Posted by
4864 posts

Regarding shopping, I like to buy art work from street artists, ones that I've watched work. Whether water colors or oil paintings, these are my favorites once I'm home. If need be, have the artist remove the wood frame, and roll the art. I do have a rather stiff/protective area in the from of my suitcase , and so far, everything has arrived in good shape. I also ask the artist to date the back, and indicate the location.
On Murano, I buy glass pieces and glass pendants from the small one-person shops. The pendants make beautiful gifts, and have the artist's unique stamp on the back. Earrings are also beautiful and reasonable in price. These smaller shops usually want cash, and watch out for the small, private-owned atm's on the smaller islands- they have big service fees.

European chocolate, even from the Coop stores, is the best ever, and makes great gifts- if it makes it home.

Regarding packing AND shopping-
I collect clothes throrughout the year that have limited wear/favor left, and set them aside by my suitcase. I then dump about a third of my clothing when I leave, giving me ample space for my shopping. This works very well for shoes, if you can bring a pair that you can dispose of at departure. Shoes take up so much space.

The Coluseum and Forum took us more than half a day, and we really found the Forum to be refreshing, especially with a tour. Note that no food or drinks are sold inside the Forum, so be prepared.

It's so special that you and your mom will have the wonderful trip- safe -and healthy- travels!

Posted by
1103 posts

I would add more days to Paris and Rome, and consider dropping one of your destinations. Rick Steves says that there are a handful of cities in Europe that are worth a one week stay: London, Paris and Rome are on that list. Full Disclosure: for many years Rome was our favorite city in Europe; more recently, Paris is number one.

Your itinerary includes a lot of moving around, and three different languages/cultures.

Have you considered reversing the order of the trip to take advantage of what is likely to be slowly improving March weather? For example, March weather in Rome is quite pleasant, London not so much.

Here are some thoughts about Rome:

From the introduction to The Smiles of Rome: A Literary Companion for Readers and Travelers (Susan Cahill, ed.)

Rome has the power to blow your mind and heart, bestowing a much larger capacity for the beauty of the world than you started out with… it’s the accumulation of pasts in Rome and one’s consciousness of those layers - in the city and in one’s self - that can make Rome a life-changing experience. Once Rome enters your consciousness, your perspective on human time may change, deepen, mellow… Everywhere, something invisible makes itself felt in the visible, making the whole city seem to pulsate with hidden presences, a register of the human psyche and of twenty-eight centuries of history striated by horror, by thrilling legends, and anonymous kindness. Getting to know Rome, we come home to ourselves…

Posted by
913 posts

First of all, what a wonderful daughter you are! I am wondering if both you and Mom have decided this itinerary together. If not, or if she says that whatever you decide is fine with her (I don't know her but I also insist that my husband and sons have done their homework and picked sites/activities they want) then make sure she's involved. Has Mom visited Europe? Does she have favorites/places she didn't see but really wants to?
It looks as though you've prioritized your travel to your liking and that the logistics are good for getting from Point A to Point B. You want to share with your mother what sounds like was a wonderful experience 11 years ago. If you can stretch your memory, were there places/things to do that you didn't get a chance to do that you could now? You might do some searches on this site for the places you're visiting just to read what others are saying and likewise for RS books, TripAdvisor, etc.

Posted by
205 posts

Lindy, I did truly have a magical time on that last trip. I fell in love with Florence completely and so that's a huge part of the trip.

I am typically the trip planner, but I do involve her when she wants to be. I'm the dreamer, and she is usually open to whatever new adventure I come up with. The way she grew up, these big ideas were never a possibility, so even the idea of Europe is a gigantic wow moment for her.

The one thing about the trip that I wished I could change was time to wander. We might not see all of the things on a list, but we're going to savour every single moment.

This is why I'm struggling with possibly nixing Paris as some have suggested because there's no guarantee we'll make it back and I've been talking about these moments for 11 years and the thought of her not getting to see those same things is tricky for me.

Posted by
6113 posts

Your trip would be too rushed for my taste, but it’s your trip not mine. I would drop a location as you are short changing most places other than Florence. Paris is the obvious as you aren’t spending long here and it’s out of the way. Paris to Venice is likely to take over 5 hours door to door.

Seeing the major sites and pottering round shops plus enjoying food and drink to me suggests that you need 4 days in each location.

I would focus on what you want to see in each city and plan accommodation accordingly, which may or may not be near to your transfer points.

Posted by
169 posts

Go for it! A taste will wow her, as you say. I understand your wish to experience the "biggest" & "best" with your Mom. Once she (& you) has the "best of" under her belt - you can decide on your next trip. Even if it is 10 years away. We did this with my mom and had so many wonderful memories. You will be moving fast - but youth is on your side (even Mom's).
On the shopping & packing... There are lots of packing videos on the Net... Set what you think you will need aside - then take away at least 1/3.. You will never see any of the people again - so they will not know that you wore it yesterday or last week. Better yet - have fun purchasing new "stuff" over there. Note: I find even casual clothes seem more expensive in Europe. Try to head over with suitcase 1/2 full (if you take a full sized one to check) and you should be able to stuff it with your new treasures. And the lighter bag is easier for transfer days.
Hotel locations: Hmmm - I understand you thought - but since the time in each city is short- you may be better served staying nearer the center of your key sites (start with trip advisor & google maps and move on from there to find "best" areas for you).. Spring for a taxi or Uber to move you and the luggage from the stations to your hotel. In the long run, you will have more time to enjoy the sights and shopping.

Posted by
2977 posts

If you aren’t going to wear or use something at least four times then don’t bring it. I do laundry when I go to Europe and there are places where you can drop it off and pick it up later which gives you more time to sight see and allows you to pack lighter. Your hotel or B&B may even have a washer and dryer.

I would also buy RS IT guidebook that came out in Jan. He recommends great self-guided walking tours that take you past the sights that you want to see.
Since you’re into shopping, consider staying in the Trastevere neighborhood which is very bohemian like that’s cluttered with picturesque boutiques and good restaurants.
One of RS self-guided walks starts at Piazza del Popolo (take a taxi) which is Rome’s oldest square and by far the most beautiful I’ve seen. From there walk south on Via del Corso. You’ll see lots of nice shops as you walk back toward Trastevere.

Posted by
2977 posts

If there’s one museum you want to see on this trip it is the Uffuzi Gallery in Florence. Buy your tickets after you make your hotel reservation because tickets sell out more than two months in advance.
If you have a rainy day in London go to the British Museum which is spectacular too. You can even enjoy a nice lunch there.

Posted by
3875 posts

What a blessed mom to have a daughter who wants to share this sort of experience with her. I'm excited about all the memories you will make together!

I'm with quilter17... I think you have a perfectly fine itinerary. It will give your mom a great taste of Europe and hopefully make her hungry for more. It sounds like she really wants to visit Paris. Don't let people who don't know you or your mom talk you out of going to a place that she really wants to see.

Posted by
7435 posts

Your open-jaw, linear progression n mg ames geographical sense; not zig-zagging, so travel is efficient. I hope your flight to Venice includes flying directly over St. Mark’s and the Grand Canal before landing, as ours did. That was a really spectacular areal pre-tour!

Paris, left bank- definitely! We’ve stayed several times at the Hotel Familia, and once at their sister hotel next door, the Hotel Minerve.

Rome if the Colosseum is among the bucket-lost sights, spring for the Underground tour, and see it from below ground level and are an flood level, in addition to up in the seating bbc area. Experience it from all angles!

It’ll be interesting if your return trip shows sights in a different light, and maybe you’ll experience a whole new set of memories, or if the places are just as you remember.

Posted by
2477 posts

One museum in Rome I would recommend is the Borghese Gallery, it is not that large and you are allowed 2 hours I think. I have been twice and the sculptures are breathtaking. You must get timed tickets online in advance. It is a highlight!

Also, in Florence, the Pitti Palace has wonderful art but to me, the view from the hilltop is so memorable. It is a fun walk to get there, you can do a lot of wandering. You do plan to see David, I hope? I reread your original post so I assume you are.

Posted by
3210 posts

I think you have an excellent taste of some of the highlights of Europe from your list. I also think it is doable, as both of you, separately or together, will go back to specific locations again if you want to do so. Your mother is young. She has 15-20 years left to travel abroad, conservatively, IMO. Adjustment wise, you have the correct order. I can't see where you are from, but for me March works in England, but I'm from New England. If you are accustomed to a warmer climate, then starting in Rome might be considered...but a harder travel adjustment, culturally. Flying, time-wise, you will have less time in the plane if you start in Rome and end in London...but for fairly new European travelers London would ease you in better. How many days in each place will never be perfect to others as we are all so different.

I agree with Judy B on both points.

For Paris, I'd suggest watching Camille Claudel before travel and then going to the Rhodin Museum. It won't take up too much time. You might find you love Paris as an adult. I do agree with you, I love Florence.

Posted by
205 posts

Wray, we're from Nova Scotia so chilly weather is nothing new! I think we're leaning towards sticking to this original plan while knowing it will be jam packed for a few of the days. We're used to that on our other trips so should be okay.

Posted by
15849 posts

Hi planningqueen -
So you're going to stick with the original plan so, at this point, thoughts about more or less time, here or there, are moot, right? As you mentioned not really being into museums + being on a budget, I might have reduced your time in London by a day. So many of that city's museums are free so are a great bargain. What do you intend to do/see there?

Yes, I am concerned about having just one full day in Paris as practically everything on your "goal" list for that city is outside. If your one full day pours rain.... Sure, with rain gear one can still sightsee but wet, cold and with weather-obscured viewing (Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe, Seine dusk cruise), you might wish you'd planned for a spare day. Granted, one can never plan around Mother Nature - you might have one dry, blue-sky day or two days or rain/fog/wind - but I've lost count of the number of times I was glad we'd built in flexibility...and needed that flexibility. It's good to be prepared for not everything going according to plan, including public/mass transit always running to schedule?

So what are your mother's interests? Other than the Paris list and shopping, what's on hers for your other locations?

Aside from London and Venice, I see you've already been to the other destinations on your list so probably don't need to tell you what the "sights" are for those. I will mention that I think you'll find that some things have changed in 11 years, specifically which attractions require advance tickets and how you go about getting them. Many tourist passes and what they do/don't cover have changed as well so you'll want to read up on that. As your trip isn't for another year, I'd hold off for awhile as procedures could change AGAIN if Europe is even more mobbed than it has been once open to most travelers.

Your 1/2 day at the Vatican: I'd definitely spend the money for an early entry small-group combo tour of museums + basilica. Hand's down, this is going to be the most efficient, least painful way to do both in that amount of time. An early entry tour will get you in and out of the Sistine before it's should-to-shoulder in there, and into St Peter's via a back passage reserved for tours, thus missing having to stand outside in the church's security queue. Most tours last 3.5 - 4 hours.

We are notorious over packers (a problem, I know) and huge shoppers so
trying to make those transfers as easy as possible.

Good that you're thinking ahead but your transfers are still going to be mighty painful if you're having to lug heavy bags through stations, in and out of trains, and up/down steep, narrow hotel stairways. Elevators are fewer rather than more in many Italian accommodations. Keep in mind as well that more stuff you have to pay attention to, the more distracted you might be to what's going on around you. As already mentioned, no one is going to know if you wear the same thing multiple days in a row so if you might wear it less than 3-4 times or so, leave it at home, and color coordinate what you do bring so that all tops go with all bottoms. Heck, in March what you're wearing will be under a coat much of the time! :O)

Shopping: good advice to keep it to a few smaller, quality items. All about lugging those bags, don'tcha know! Pictures/memories are the best souvenirs, IMHO. :O)

Florence... I loved Florence too and am an art geek so the Uffizi was a must-do. I'm guessing you've already been? Your mom, on the other hand, might not be into art enough to want to take that one on; same for the mighty Louvre and Pitti. Some smaller venues that are more easily digested might be more enjoyable for her? The excellent Borghese in Rome was mentioned before, and we enjoyed San Marco and the Bargello in Florence very much as well. There's some great art/architecture in many of the free churches in Rome, and some of the better ones in Florence as well that are either free or have economical entry fees.

Posted by
205 posts

Kathy,

I am research obsessed- I'm the spreadsheet-loving, laminated index card-carrying kinda gal so we will definitely have everything that can be pre-booked and time saving, booked. Budget also isn't as much of an issue as it sounds like you may have perceived it to be based on my post. We certainly have a budget, like most people, but my reference to that was more in regards to adding more days as additional hotel/food/transport/spending costs add up per day.
We will absolutely spend where needed, whether that's for a better location, a time-saving tour or a truly special experience that can't be passed up.
We do have plans for doing our best to limit our luggage and will probably rely on laundry services to help with that. As for the weather, should it not cooperate, it will merely be considered one of our many stories..ie: "remember that time we were on a boat in the Seine and it started pouring?". We make the most of every situation we're in so if Mother Nature is a little cranky it'll just be part of the memories.
My mom doesn't have a wishlist like I do for sights etc just yet. I'm going to get her to read some of the books I've been using so she's more involved. Really though, just the experience of walking down the street with a crepe in hand smelling beautiful French bread will be awe inspiring to her. This is a BIG deal to her.

As for London, the current wishlist doesn't include museums, but is still pretty lengthy:
Westminister Abbey
Evensong
Tower of London
St. Paul's
Borough Market
Buckingham Palace
Selfridges/Harrods/Liberty London
West End Show
High Tea..and that's just off the top of my head.

Posted by
88 posts

How exciting for you both!

Some personal thoughts after many trips to Europe and what seemed to work the best for me. First trip was a tour, the rest on my own, sometimes solo, sometimes with another person. I was in Italy in March, days are shorter, not everything was open, weather varied.

Packing: less is more. I roll my clothes, stuff things into my shoes, take ONLY comfy items that you enjoy wearing, layer and choose color coordinates. Example; black, grey, tan pants and/or skirts. Then add tops (blouses & cardigans) that go with all 3 colors. I use packing cubes and ziplock bags to group items. Cuts down on space and you don't have to dig thru a large suitcase to find something. I take mini's of all cosmetics & personal items, no full size anything. Any luggage may have to be carried up stairs and rooms are smaller in Europe. Large luggage on trains means up & down the long platforms, then train steps and storing it in a place where you can watch it. Extra cost on short flights.

Shopping: Not in tourist areas. Go off the main roads, even a few blocks and prices differ. Venice example - near St Marks & Jewish Ghetto, same item half the price. Look for items you would use in your daily life (hand made spoon rest from Cortona, gold hoop earrings from Florence). Pack a small roll of bubble wrap for trip home.

Budget friendly tips: Use passes for city transport vs 1 trip tickets. If you get tired, hop on a bus in one direction for a time, then get off, cross the street and head back. Great way to search for a restaurant also. Follow locals to a restaurant, they know where to eat. Lot's of grocery store or small shops to pick up snacks or picnic items.

Must sees: List in order of importance, also check for closed days. Plan 1 for the morning and 1 for the afternoon. Time seems to move faster on vacation! Allow down time.

Planning is such fun!

Posted by
14039 posts

I'll just mention packing since it's something I love. Have you seen The Vivienne Files website? She does wonderful capsule wardrobes, sometimes based on a painting, sometimes based on jewelry or a scarf, sometimes just out of her head from what she's seen on the streets of Chicago where she lives.

You've got a year so both can start thinking capsule wardrobes right now so you are ready to go next Spring. When I first was introduced to that concept I could not believe I could go from a 50# bag they marked "HEAVY" at the check in desk to a 22 inch rollaboard for an 8 week trip! Yes, you really only need 3 pairs of pants! Once I organized my first capsule wardrobe I actually just wore it for a couple of weeks to see if it was doable. Yes, it was! Three pairs of pants X 4 tops that go with all of them = 12 outfits. Add one or 2 cardigans or other topper pieces and you've doubled or tripled that number....more than your 2 week time frame.

https://www.theviviennefiles.com/

Her clothing suggestions are often too expensive and too dressy for me but I can work with her color suggestions and make something that works for my retired North Idaho lifestyle. Talk about spreadsheets, lol!! You'll love her outfit layouts!

Posted by
33 posts

So, I know that you're not a huge fan of Paris, but I wanted to throw out a couple things that I absolutely loved on my visits there. My sister spent a semester studying there, so I had a great guide to some slightly more off the beaten path things.

Sainte-Chappelle - I know this is a little sacrilegious, but I actually prefer it to Notre Dame. Also, you know, it didn't get melted, so it's a lot more fun to tour at the moment. It's close to Notre Dame, so it wouldn't be too far out of your way, and it doesn't require a lot of time. It was the royal chapel, and is very intimate. The upper level is stained glass all the way around - kind of like being in a jewel box.

Flea Market at Saint-Oeun (Les Puces) - some of the most fun street shopping I've ever experienced. This place has literally everything from cheap tourist junk that you can find in every tourist site in Europe to Louis XIV furniture and crystal chandeliers. And everything in between. The last time I was there I picked up some fabulous costume jewelry and art prints, and a handful of francs that had holes punched in them that I used to make jewelry. Also, one of my favorite "incidents" with my sister happened there. On the way from the Metro station to the market, there were pushy scammers that tried to corner tourists. We were walking towards a bewildered American couple that this guy was harassing, and my sister got this gleam in her eye. She veered a little to close to the guy and basically body checked him as she passed him. The tourists walked off, and the guy started swearing at her. She turned around and started swearing right back, and it was QUITE impressive! He looked surprised, then just shrugged and walked off. She was beaming for the rest of the day.

Pierre Herme - one of my favorite patisserie in the world. He does amazing things with floral flavors, and has the most gorgeous desserts you could imagine. Their macarons are an experience like no other. The only place that compares is La Duree. Again, with the memories, there was a little square outside the store, and my sister showed me a game she invented - Kick the Pigeon. It's a great way to spot the real Parisians vs the tourists. It's basically what it sounds like - you try to stalk up to a pigeon and kick it before it can fly off (much harder than it sounds). Parisians tend to think it's hilarious - tourists tend more towards horror.

Michel Cluizel - one of my favorite chocolatiers. Fortunately, they now have a branch in Manhattan, so it's easier to get a fix. Their single source chocolate bars are beyond amazing - they take beans from just one plantation, and highlight the natural notes and flavors of those particular beans. They're soy and (I think) dairy free.

Anyway, hope these are helpful. My mom always dreamed of going to Paris, but she got married instead. She sent her three daughters to France before she ever went herself, but my baby sister got to take her there for the first time a few years back. I'm hoping to visit Italy with her this winter/next spring - she's the best travel buddy! It's wonderful to know that other people are enjoying seeing the world with their favorite family members

Posted by
15601 posts

First, hard as it is to cut things out, I would really try. 2-1/2 weeks is on the speedier side. Take into account the orientation time. In London, Paris and Rome, for sure you will have to deal with figuring out local transportation (identifying a bus stop, never mind figuring out the route), you'll have two new currencies to adjust too, plus at least 2 foreign languages, even London can be a bit challenging, though perhaps less so for Canadians, but some of the accents can be less than easily understood. Streets are maze-like, it's easy to get turned around and sometimes hard to find the street signs. Not only does it take time but it is also tiring and sometimes stressful. Venice and Florence are walkable. Don't compare your tour experience to what it's like on your own - getting around, finding information, waiting in line for tickets and entries and so on. Also don't discount how long it takes to change locations. Try this, each of you make a list of preferences and see which are low on the list for both of you. Be ruthless, seeing the Eiffel Tower may be a lifelong dream, but is it worth sacrificing for? Notre Dame won't be much to see, the outside is mostly covered in scaffolding and much of the inside is closed off, even if some is open to visitors. Also keep in mind that you are both young and will have more travel opportunities. Also consider the weather, 2 days in dreary grey rainy Paris would be a real downer. You have the best chances of good weather in Italy.

Second, your impressions at 17 can be very different from those a decade later. Paris can be delightful, just walking around, people-watching at a cafe, exploring medieval neighborhoods. I find Rome the hardest city to navigate in Europe even after several visits (and I've been to a lot). Venice or Rome could be much more enticing than Florence. On the other hand, Florence may be your best place for shopping, whether it's the many high-end stylish stores or the open-air market where you can bargain and get excellent leather goods at reasonable prices - handbags, winter gloves, jackets and much more.

Where to stay: You only have to get to the train station once in London! You have a long stay in London. Find a place that's central to the sights. You don't want to have a longish journey every morning and every evening for 5 nights. Termini is easy to get to in Rome. It's a short cab ride (not expensive) to/from much of central Rome. Consider staying somewhere closer to the sights you plan to see and in a somewhat nicer area. Florence is an easy city to walk. The train station is only a few minutes, mostly on level sidewalks with little traffic from the heart of the historic center. If you end up with a longer stay, you may want to be in Otrarno, not as touristy, more real neighborhood, just across the Pontevecchio (hence otra-Arno). Venice is harder with luggage (lots of steps and small bridges) but if you stay not too far from the train station, in Canneregio, it can be easily accessible with wheeled luggage. Nothing in Venice is very far - you can walk from one end to the other in an hour . . . if you don't get lost.

Luggage: Many on the forum are light packers. I am not. I travel with a 23-25" spinner (used to have a 2-wheeler). It's a lot easier to pack/unpack or even live out of a large half-empty bag. Also, you are going to need heavier clothing in March in winter. And with a larger bag, you have room for all (or at least some :-) of the shopping. Don't obsess. While it's easier to manage a 20" 10-kilo bag, it's not difficult to manage one that's 15 kilo and 24" on trains, I've done it for years and I am older than your mother and don't have a young daughter to help. By the time you're up to 20+ kilo you should be close to the end of your trip.

Posted by
3941 posts

Few things - hello fellow Nova Scotian!

In 2014, my mom came to Italy with my husband and I - we did Amalfi Coast/Naples, Rome and Venice (hubs and I having had previous visits to Rome and Venice). I absolutely loved it - my mom is an early bird (I guess that's where I got it from) and she and I had some lovely early mornings roaming Venice and Rome and Amalfi. I had hoped to take her back this year, but we all know how that's going, so fingers crossed for next year. (She's a very active 73).

As for luggage - please travel as light as you can - one of the big annoyances was that my mom had a carry on and a larger bag - she had been visiting my sister in the UK, and is still taking her stuff to her, so she takes a bigger bag - let me tell you, as someone who only travels with a carry on and a personal size - I was ready to toss that big suitcase into the sea. On and off trains and buses, manouvering stairs and elevators and streets and vaporettos and metros - on god. Hindsight - we should have left the bag in Portsmouth and had one of the grandkids bring it to London before we flew back home. We've gone upwards of 23 nights with a carry on/personal.

I'd suggest heading to IKEA or checking Amazon and picking up a folding bag - we got a lightweight backpack that folds into itself, and it was great for bringing home purchases. We actually have two of them - and my carry on also expands out, so on the way home, I'd expand it, pack in the clothes and unbreakable stuff and check it, carrying on the lightweight backpack.

We picked up one of these on Amazon, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet... https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Duffle-Lightweight-Luggage-WANDF/dp/B07R48KCNG/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=1DD1E7HREVGZ0&dchild=1&keywords=wandf+foldable+travel+duffle+bag&qid=1617367282&sprefix=Wandf%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWkZTWkYyQ0IwNUZHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzEzNzM1MjIzTzRON0wwUzZHMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTk0MjIzNDVJMVZVUjA2OVlDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Posted by
27209 posts

Nicole's product is a lot more attractive than what I've used, and the larger duffles offered by that seller have shoulder straps, which I have often wished for. Although I'm not that much of a shopper, you never know what you're going to encounter that you just cannot live without. I also use my packable tote as a bus/train bag when I change cities. It holds my water bottle, snacks, reading material, tablet computer, jacket, and an umbrella if rain is possible. I couldn't fit all those things in my purse.

I've occasionally seen packable totes of similar fabric at The Container Store, TJMaxx and Marshalls (though I don't remember shoulder straps), so you could take a look there. You might be able to find less expensive, lighter-weight, less bulky bags as well, typically made out of very thin nylon or polyester. They can be useful, too, but the seams may not hold up very long if you are carrying heavy items. I used to use those, and I've often had to repair ripped seams in the middle of a trip. As with luggage, there's a trade-off between weight and sturdiness.

Posted by
913 posts

We usually rent flats and make certain that in the middle of our trip, the flat has a washing machine. If that is not workable for you, Under Armour, not glamorous but moisture wicking and quick drying, works well with just sponging out the night before and hanging on the towel rack. You sound well-versed in traveling, though, so I'm guessing you and your mom already know the hacks with packing.

I like to watch movies/tv programs, etc. set in the places I'll be visiting before I even make reservations for the sites. Many times they trigger an "Ah ha!" moment for me that I add to my list of sites. Old Rick Steves' programs are perfect--or new if he's able to do so when countries are no longer on lockdown and it's considered safe to travel again.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi theplanningqueen,
Just joined the Forum and didn't read all posts to your inquiry, yet. Still, a quick comment to your post. In general, I assume all your train travel is booked as overnight passages to save time in your itinerary. 1.5d in Paris might cutting yourself short of the experience. We booked all our tickets for Paris ahead and saved a lot of time (felt like cutting lines in Disney World). A few years ago, we spent two full days in Paris and did Eiffel Tower, Seine tour, Sacre-Coeur, and as a special treat L'Atelier des Lumieres, without any rush. In Rome, we had 3d in a great apartment in Trastevere (for the food!), 1.ancient Rome, 2.The Vatican, 3. for 'walking Rome'. We skipped the Vatican Museums as a whole attraction by itself. Just too much! However, you have to get tickets for the Museum (online to cut the waiting line) since The Sistine Chapel is part of the Museums. An absolute must-see. Tip: leaving the Chapel, but before leaving the Museums, you can enter the St. Peter Basilica directly without getting in line (again?) outside the Basilica. Great time saver! Safe travels!

Posted by
205 posts

Hi worldtraveler,

No, our short train trips won't be overnight..they'll be first thing in the morning. We wouldn't want to be arriving and departing in the middle of the night..just wouldn't make sense. They're only 2-3 hours at most.

Posted by
8710 posts

I’m only going to comment on London although I’ve been to all of the cities on your list.

London is a fairly compact city as to seeing “ the “ sites. Parliament Square contains Parliament, Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War rooms. From there it’s a 15 minute stroll through St James Park to Buckingham Palace. The length of time spent looking at the Abbey and War Rooms will depend on your interest. Reservations an absolute for Parliament and the War Rooms. The latter a timed reservation.

You could add a pub lunch into the mix. There’s the 2 Chairman pub on Dartmouth Street at Queens Gate. The Churchill War Rooms are a 5-7 minute walk from this pub. If not here then after snapping pics of the palace ( if the flag is up the Queen is in residence) walk to the small Grenadier pub. It’s a traditional pub not a Gastro pub. Perfect spot for bangers and mash, or bowl of soup or a pint if so inclined.

Or after seeing the Palace, stroll through the adjacent Green Park to the Green Park Underground Station and take a Jubilee line train to Bond Street. Get off there and it’s a 10 minute walk to Selfridges.
You’ll be starving after spending time there. The shoe department alone is nearly the size of a football field. Don’t bother with afternoon tea there. Too pricey.

Instead if you’ve seen Parliament Square ( be sure to check Westminster Abbey schedule to be certain it’s open to the public AND if you want to see inside Parliament book a ticket in advance) a pleasing nearby afternoon tea can be found at the small English Rose cafe on the busy Grosvenor Place road.

Be sure to set up an Oyster card for each of you. Will be a nice souvenir after you’ve used it for public transport. Honestly, I think you’d both enjoy sitting up top in the front of a double decker bus as it made its way around London streets especially if March weather is dismal. Nearly floor to ceiling windows so you can peer out at daily London life.

For ease and convenience stay at the Premiere Inn at County Hall ( adjacent to the Millennium Wheel) or keeping with your desire to stay close to a Transport hub, the Premiere Inn at Kings Cross.

Or if you want one splurge try the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel and enjoy a meal, afternoon tea or a cocktail at the gorgeous Booking Office restaurant inside St Pancras. The EuroStar departs from St Pancras.

Evensong at St Brides is lovely. Check the schedule of what’s on at the Wilton Music Hall while you are there.

A good spot for a meal in the West End is Bill’s or meander into Chinatown.

Pack light (even in March you can), go without expectations and most importantly be flexible. Planning is great but adapting and not getting frustrated is the best travel skill.

PM me for other London based excursions. Great city. Lots to see and do. Always changing, always the same.

Posted by
27209 posts

The Churchill War Rooms need a ticket purchased in advance; its ticket lines are long and it frequently sells out. It's a two-part sight: The underground rooms where the war was managed--which don't take long to see and were not of much interest to me since I'm not one who gets excited about standing where something important happened--and the Churchill Museum, which was detailed, fascinating (to me) and time-consuming. I struggled to finish up in less than 5 hours, as I recall, and the vast majority of that time was spent in the Churchill Museum. So when trying to figure out how much you can do in that part of London over the course of one day, think about your probable level of interest in the CWR. I would point out that it's quite an expensive ticket if you are only interested in seeing the war rooms.

Posted by
15849 posts

Tip: leaving the Chapel, but before leaving the Museums, you can
enter the St. Peter Basilica directly without getting in line (again?)
outside the Basilica.

Worldtraveler (Welcome to the forum!) I'm afraid that this is not a fail-safe method of accessing the basilica. That passage is technically reserved for tours - a benefit of spending the extra $$ - and the guards can be watchful for persons attempting to get through without visible tour identification, such as a tag on a lanyard and/or "whisper" headsets. There have been reports of cracking down on independent visitors and individuals being turned away.

Doesn't mean one can't try, I guess, but I wouldn't plan the day around it.