Please sign in to post.

March 2016 Europe trip question

Hi,

We are visiting Europe in mid March 2016 (3/15/16-3/30/16). We will be flying in from Seattle to Amsterdam (arrive on 3/15/16 4pm) and flying out from Amsterdam on 3/30/16 and thinking to visit the following places. I know it is a bit all over the places...can you please give some advice on what would be the best order?

Prague: 2 days
Nice: 4 days
Amsterdam/Holland: 6 days
Because Germany and Austria is nearby, we are thinking to visit one of them as well.....

Below is my original plan:
3/15/16: staying in Amsterdam near the airport on 3/15 and fly out the next morning to Prague.

3/16-17: Prague
3/18: take train to Nuremburg/Munich
3/20: somehow manage our way to Stuttgart and fly out from Stuttgart airport to Nice
3/20-3/23: Nice
3/24-3/29: Holland
3/18-19 is the part where I'm having problems. We visited Black forecast, Stuttgart, Nuremburg, and Munich end of October this year, but did not visit Königssee lake nor the Neuschwanstein Castle. Will we have time to visit these two places, if not which one should we visit?

Thanks!

Posted by
172 posts

Hi,

I checked the flights from Prague to Nice, but there is no direct flight and fare seems pricy....that's why I thought about flying from Stuttgart to Nice.....

Posted by
89 posts

Once you are in Nice, you should take an opportunity to go to Cannes and Monaco.

Posted by
172 posts

Daniel...yes, that's the plan, although we already visited Monaco for a half day trip last time :)

Posted by
8299 posts

I'm sorry Jenny, but your itinerary doesn't flow very well. You'd do best to fly open jaw into one city and out of another.

I don't know if you've checked on GoogleMaps to see where these places are, but they're not in close proximity to each other. And distances are great. And with the time you have, you'd do best to take on fewer cities.
We've taken a couple of car trips thru the years out of Amsterdam driving down to Cologne and into Bacharach to spend the night. Then we went on into Munich--about 500 miles one way total. Once we went down to Innsbruck and Venice. Once we went over to Venice. Now, we travel slower and get so much more out of our trips.

Posted by
172 posts

Hi David,

We always fly open jaw, however, we couldn't this time because we are doing an around the world trip (Europe then Asia) and it will not allow me to fly open jaw in Europe....

Yes, I checked google map....and I know those places are not close by....I thought about deleting Prague, but we have non-refundable hotel booked in Prague already....

Posted by
6928 posts

3/16-17: Prague
3/18: take train to Nuremburg/Munich
3/20: somehow manage our way to Stuttgart and fly out from Stuttgart airport to Nice

Nuremberg is in Franconia - and if you have only seen Nuremberg there, well, you're in for a treat, as there are several excellent destinations in the area (which is on your way to Stuttgart, by the way.)

Now, you say you're taking the train to Nuremberg even though you've already been. N'berg could indeed be a good travel base even though you've seen the place. From Nuremberg, day trips by train to the places below are very easy and inexpensive. Pick the ones that interest you.

BAMBERG (UNESCO World Heritage site)
IPHOFEN (see photos)
BAD WINDSHEIM - see the (FREILANDMUSEUM)
WUERZBURG

Or you could bypass Nuremberg and continue to one of these other nearby places for a night or two.

There's no "somehow" about getting to Stuttgart - it's really easy - a direct train gets you there in around 2.25 hours from Nuremberg. Same from Wuerzburg.

(Neuschwanstein isn't a real castle and is a LONG detour from your route - the same for the Königssee.)

For the trip between Prague and Nuremberg, DB's Inter-City Bus is the best way to go - comfortable, direct, and faster than by train - about 3.6 hours vs. 5 hours.

Posted by
2487 posts

Along the thinking of others: you're missing so many nice things on this itinerary, mainly by putting in Nice. A couple of pinpricks on the map, without much time to enjoy it and explore the surroundings, and a lot of wasted travelling time. I get the impression you already booked your flights to and from Amsterdam. Why not slowly work your way back from Prague to Amsterdam, put in Vienna (a city which has a lot more to offer than many people think) and Salzburg, and explore the region around Nürnberg before getting on the train to Amsterdam?
And with Russ it escapes why one should want to visit Neuschwanstein. It's a nineteenth-century fake castle, which somehow became the popular image of a German castle. There is enough real stuff around.

Posted by
544 posts

Hi Jenny,

Take a look at Brussels Airlines for your flight from Munich to Nice. It's €116 ea. with a connection in Brussels.