Please sign in to post.

Malta to Sicily by Ferry in November 2019

We’ll be in Malta for 8 days and then traveling on to Sicily. Our preference is to travel from Valletta by ferry to Sicily, but we are having difficulty finding much information about the Sicilian end. Would appreciate information about the place where the ferry docks in Sicily. Is it possible to get on public transit at that point in order to travel to Siracusa? Would we be better off renting a car? Is it even possible to rent a car in that area? Thank you for any input.

Posted by
7049 posts

Did you look into the Virtu Ferry service in Malta (http://www.virtuferries.com)? The ferry disembarks in Pozzalo at the tip of Sicily, which is not convenient to anywhere (which is why Virtu Ferries provides a bus coach service afterward). I opted to take a 40-minute Air Malta flight to Catania instead, followed by a nice bus from the airport to Siracusa. There is good bus service at Catania Airport.

Posted by
224 posts

I’m researching this trip for next year and looked at the two options, also thinking that Air Malta is the best option. They do only fly certain days of the week, I believe.

Posted by
27104 posts

When I looked into the Sicily-Malta ferry back in 2015, I was horrified at the cost, considering the relatively short distance involved. I believe flying is a better option.

Posted by
7049 posts

For fun I just glanced at the ferry cost and it's actually not too bad relative to a flight. 62 EUR for one-way fare plus 14 EUR coach bus supplement to get to the port in Catania = total 76 EUR. The entire trip takes more than 4 hours.

In 2015, I paid about 96 EUR for the Air Malta flight plus a very small amount (6 EUR or so?) for the bus from CTA to Siracusa (you would have to do this as well with the ferry + bus option). So it was more expensive via the flight after all. It took about 2.5-3 hours total, so less than the ferry pus bus option. For me, it was more about the timing and schedule that made the flight a better option.

You should price out both the flight and ferry/ coach bus options, and compare the two. If you decide to take the ferry, just get the bus supplement for you can get to Catania port. It's cheaper than a car rental. From Catania port, you'll have to take a bus to Siracusa. Here is the bus website (Aeroporto Catania to Siracusa), although you can buy a ticket easily as the bus kiosk: http://www.interbus.it

Posted by
1556 posts

In March 2017, I flew from Catania to Malta for approx. $25 on Ryanair. Didn't have to pay for the carry on and flight was on time. So, outside of airport taxes, you may be able to get cheap flights.

Posted by
1296 posts

I agree with Agnes about pricing out the options in terms of money and also time. Flying may well be easier in the end. But -

In support of the ferry, it would be a much more interesting journey. As well as avoiding the faff of airports, you pass through the Grand Harbour, then see Malta disappearing behind and Sicily coming ahead. Very roughly, you're following the route of Monty's Eighth Army as the British invaded Sicily from Malta at the start of the Italian Campaign. Whilst in Valletta, you can visit the Lascaris War Rooms where the liberation of Italy was planned by the Allies. As well as the cheap €15 coach link already mentioned to Catania, Virtu do offer direct car transfers from Pozzallo to Syracuse. The current price is a touch under €100 for up to four travellers. There may be other companies that are cheaper?

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks, everyone, for the very insightful and helpful comments. Checked out the ferry website and saw the coach add-on. Discussed with the hubby and we decided to go for the ferry. This journey will be in the middle of a two month, two continent jaunt and we are trying to avoid too many flights. So the ferry option looks good. We may drop Siracusa off the itinerary for this trip and focus on Palermo which we plan to reach by train from Catania.

Posted by
7049 posts

I think a bus will be much quicker than a train between Catania and Palermo because it cuts through the island as opposed to going the long way along the coast. Trains are not necessarily better for all trips within Sicily.

Posted by
27104 posts

There are trains through the interior that connect Catania and Palermo. Most take about 3 hours. I don't know how the bus time compares.