Please sign in to post.

Malta

We plan to spend one week in Malta, staying in the north end (Maielleha - sp?). Is it necessary to rent a car to get around and hit the high spots?

Posted by
893 posts

There's a pretty extensive, albeit slow moving, public transportation system on the island that will get you to the high spots. I've only been to Valletta/Mdina, so I don't know how well-connected Maielleha is going to be to the transportation network.

Posted by
15768 posts

I was in Malta for with a group. Traffic can be very slow and parking is pretty hard to find in the towns. I met a few tourists, all were managing quite well, so they said, with public transportation. There are also a lot of guided day tours, the prices looked pretty reasonable. Have you tried to ask your hotel about transportation to the main cities - Valetta, Mdina, Rabat . . .

Posted by
175 posts

I spent five nights on Malta last Jan. Stayed at the Phoenicia near the bus depot so didn't need to rent an auto. The buses took us everywhere. Inexpensive, I mean really inexpensive but the Italians have taken over the system with new buses and tripled the fare price. Still reasonable. Since you are staying in far away Mellieha I would suggest that you rent. Perhaps you should contact your hotel and get up to date info on the bus service that serves your area. Malta is NICE! Enjoy.