Please sign in to post.

Madrid, Barcelona and Lyon June 6-22 2015

I will be traveling with my husband and two teenage children. My daughter will be graduating from high school and this will be our last trip together before she goes to college. I teach Spanish and everyone wants ample opportunity to practice while we are in Spain. We fly in and out of Madrid. That works well because we have friends to visit and hopefully stay with there. We also have friends to stay with in Lyon, France. We want to see as much as we can in between Lyon and Madrid. My husband and kids have never been to Barcelona and plan to go there before going to Lyon. I am trying to decide between renting a car and taking the train. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2768 posts

As far as renting a car, it would not be very useful in Madrid or Barcelona, and would actually be a hassle (I am not familiar with Lyon). I would consider taking the train from Madrid to Barcelona. Then pick up the car after you're done visiting Barcelona, and drive to Lyon. On that drive, you can see a good amount of the Catalan countryside, as well as the south of France. I haven't driven this route, but it looks intriguing. Then after Lyon, drive the car back to Madrid, seeing whatever you're interested in on the way back. Return to Madrid, return the car, and fly home. You do need to return the car in the same country (you can't rent it in Spain and return it in France. Well, you CAN but it's extremely expensive). Since you are flying out of Madrid, this shouldn't be a problem.

This assumes you WANT to see the countryside between the cities. If your main goal is Madrid, Barcelona, and Lyon, there isn't a need for a car at all. Train is easier, but sometimes the getting there is the point, so a car can be wonderful. Plus, with 4 people, the economics may work nearly as well.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for your response. I agree having a car in Madrid and Barcelona will be a pain. Right now we are booked to pick up the car after staying in Madrid carless for a few days. I actually was looking at a Karen Brown off the Beaten Track itinerary. She has a trip visiting various small towns between Madrid and Barcelona. I am thinking of staying in Cuenca. Have you been there?

Posted by
2261 posts

Beth, what I can tell you is that public transportation in Lyon is very good, with Metro, bus, tram and pedicab options-a car would probably be more trouble than it's worth there. You can buy the Lyon City Card which covers all but the pedicab, and includes useful museum discounts, a choice of river cruises (we chose the architecture cruise) and even a walking tour-book when you buy the pass. There is a very good TI on the main square, Place Bellecour, where you can get the Card and lots of helpful info too, in case your friends are not playing tour director. Lyon is a wonderful city.
For an excellent dinner out, try Le Petit Frere, in Villeurbanne, the 6th Arr., it was recommended to us by our B & B hostess, and was very good; very French, but a young, enthusiastic and helpful staff.
Have a great trip.

https://www.lyoncitycard.com/?lang=2&utm_source=lyon-france&utm_medium=menu&utm_campaign=generic&_ga=1.76891669.1068117813.1414428847

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187265-d1845627-Reviews-Le_Petit_Frere-Lyon_Rhone_Rhone_Alpes.html#REVIEWS

Posted by
16893 posts

Doubling back to Spain may make sense if you plan more to see along the way, as Mira suggested. You'll pay for a longer car rental, and leave the car parked for the (how many?) days that you are in Lyon, but avoid a second-country drop-off fee on the car.

Or flying into Madrid and out from Lyon could save time and backtracking. You could get rid of the car upon arrival in Lyon, but would pay a second-country drop-off fee.

To just get to Lyon quickly, try www.skyscanner.com for flight prices.

Posted by
11 posts

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. My plan right now on the way back to Madrid is to stop off in San Sebastian and maybe Bilbao. I may be over reaching.

We land in Madrid Sunday the 7th.
Plan is to visit friends and observe some classes. I teach Spanish to Preschool and K students at an independent school. I plan to write a grant proposal and hope that the school will help pay for part of the trip. One of the benefits of a rent car is that the school could pay for it and it would transport the entire family. In contrast , if we take trains only my train ticket could be reimbursed.

I would like to spend Sunday and Monday night in Madrid. Then Tuesday pick up the car at the Atocha train station and drive to Cuenca and spend the night in the Parador there.
Has anyone been to Cuenca?

Posted by
7357 posts

Haven't been to Cuenca, but visited Madrid, Bilbao, and San Sebastian last November, before heading to Barcelona and Girona. In San Sebastian, expect to get an expensive parking spot in one of the expensive parking garages, then walk around town. We used a 5 1/2 hour train to get from Madrid to Bilbao, then picked up our rental car for driving in the Basque country. We flew (Vueling Air) from Bilbao to Barcelona.

Hope you get the grant -- you can learn some Basque in addition to using Spanish over there!

Posted by
4154 posts

I think either train or car would work. There are pros and cons to both.

Check with gemut.com about driving in Europe (especially Spain and France) IDP and insurance requirements. The website has a wealth of info. Contact Andy for more. The biggest red flag I see is the size car you might have to get. Nothing is big. Do I need to mention the dreaded "pack light?"

Research train schedules for the legs of your journey. Some routes will be faster than driving, some not. Especially for trains, PL, PL, PL.

We have been every place you mentioned except Cuenca and Lyon. Bourdain did a piece on Lyon -- be sure to eat something for me there! You're probably already familiar with Spanish meal times.

Posted by
11 posts

I have reserved an Opel insignia or similar. I am going to try limit everyone in the family to one bag( or backpack )and a carry on. We are going to be staying in people's home and I don't want to show up with a ton of luggage- like we normally do. I just purchased the Best of Europe book and read that we need to get international driver's permits for Spain. So glad I saw that!

Posted by
11 posts

I have decided not to fly. I think that we would like to stop and visit places along the way. Anyone have good itinerary for a round trip road trip Madrid-Lyon France?