Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg

After an 8+ week trip we will be flying home from Luxembourg. We have never been there, so we want some time to sightsee. I'm trying to figure out how many nights we should allow there. We won't have a car. I would like to see the American Cemetery. How difficult is it to reach by public transportation? What other things are worthwhile to see? Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
10206 posts

Arnold, thank you for that information. It might be worth allotting a little more time to the country if it's free to get around. It probably comes down to how much there is to see there.

Posted by
10206 posts

I should have mentioned that we will be coming from Germany. Very likely Cologne, where my cousins live. Hannover is another possibility, as my aunt lives there. If we are coming from Hannover I might look for a place to spend one night on the way to Luxembourg to break up the trip.

Posted by
2124 posts

Luxembourg is a lovely little country, with plenty to fill a 3 or 4 night stay. I’d recommend staying in the little town of Ettelbruck, which is a transportation hub ... all the buses & trains seemed to connect there. Farmers market on Friday. Good restaurants, even good gelato.

Things to see:
1) the amazing war museum in Diekirch, full of vehicles & memorabilia from the Battle of the Bulge;
2) the Family of Man photographic exhibit in Clervaux
3) the castle in Vianden.
4) Luxembourg City

Posted by
613 posts

Years ago when we were touring EU 2-3 times a year, we mostly flew Icelandic from the East Coast to Luxembourg (super low fares). I suspect that we have been more days in Luxembourg than any other city in EU-- that includes 21 days in Paris, 16 days in London, 11 for Vienna, 8 Rome-- and after the first trip, we never spent any time sightseeing in Luxembourg. We got in and out as fast as we could because it is a third rate tourist attraction.

The cemetery is a hillside covered with orderly rows of little white crosses and stars of David. 20 minutes and the zzzz set in. Its of some historic interest because after Gen Patton died, they buried him here.

Our most memorable Luxembourg experience was dinner in Viaden-- $150 per person for fresh killed wild boar on the last day of wild boar season with a grand Grand Cru St Saint-Émilion.

On the other hand, coming from Cologne etc, you have an opportunity the see the Mosel Valley, one of top sights in Germany-- river scenery, Bernkastle, Burg Eltz,, Trier (capitol of the Roman Empire for 200 years and the oldest city in Germany). There is a fine Roman villa at on the German bank of the river where the road crosses into Luxembourg. Just upstream from here, near the village of Schengen, is the spot in the Mosel where the borders of Germany, France and Luxembourg meet. The Schengen treaty was signed on a boat at this spot.

Posted by
10206 posts

Thanks for your thoughts. It's funny how we all look at things differently, which is good of course. For example, I've seen on other posts that kb1942 hates Paris. It's my favorite city and I've spent approximately 7 weeks there over 6 trips and I look forward to returning. To each their own.

Posted by
15800 posts

kb1942 also hates Florence (which we loved) and Venice so as you say, Andrea, to each their own!
As Luxembourg is on our go-to list as well, I'll be following your thread with interest! :O)

Posted by
14945 posts

Luxembourg City itself has some interesting sights.

There is a tram, that looks like a train, that takes you down into the oldest parts of the city. It's a little hokey, as is the recorded commentary, but you get to see and hear about how the city was started and grew. It's called the Petrusse Express and you get it just outside the Casements which is also interesting to explore.