Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg City

Recommendations for Luxembourg City I haven’t seen any recent post re: a day trip to Luxembourg City. I will be in Brussels and was planning to go Sunday 6/2and wondering whether to take a train (and explore by myself) or a bus tour in own or go with a tour bus. The both take 3 hours, but the bus tour usually stops in another town on the return, whereas if I took the train I would have more time exploring Luxembourg City. Does anyone have recommendations? If the bus tour is recommended which one, there may only be one.

Posted by
7663 posts

Luxembourg City is worth a visit, but I recommend doing so in connection with visits to nearby Viaden (on the border with Germany), Trier, Germany and take in the American Cemetery where General George Patton is buried.

Posted by
32747 posts

I've done it. It is a long way by train. The train route isn't particularly scenic.

On the other hand, when I driving I make sure to stop in Luxembourg each direction. Partly for the cheap car fuel but mostly for the beautiful things there that I love - most of which are in the countryside. I love the town but I've done it a lot.

If you search restricting yourself to the Travel Forum and limiting it to 6 months you will find several recent discussions about Luxembourg. Too bad that Rick neither does a book for the country (years ago it was in the Belgium/Netherlands book, but not for a long time), nor has a Forum for the country.

In a day including 6 hours on the train you would be hard pressed to get out of Luxembourg City.

Maybe do the casemates and wander around the town. Problem is, a lot will be closed in the town on a Sunday.

Posted by
8375 posts

I found the American Cemetary quite moving. I also enjoyed walking on the Casements.
A bus will take you to within 1/4 mile of the American Cemetary and then you will need to walk a short way.