Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg

Does anyone have advice on touring Luxembourg? We are thinking about visiting the American Military Cemetery there. How easy is it to find and are there other sights nearby?

Posted by
32699 posts

will you have a car or are you going to be on bus and train?

Posted by
32699 posts

Luxembourg has a well developed and integrated bus and train system (www.cfl.lu/en) and I would expect that there is a bus stop near the cemetary, but I don't know. I've gone by car, and it is just off one of the main motorways near the airport, quite close to the road.

General Patton's grave is very easy to find once you are inside.

CFL also have a decent app, for both android and iOS. It is difficult to find by name because certain Canadian football websites get in the way but you can search under the app developer, HaCon Ingenieurges.

Good luck. Let us know how it came out, OK?

Posted by
121 posts

Luxembourg City is near the Military Cemetery. Beautiful city with canals, etc. Larochette is also not too far from there. Great old church, castle ruins, hiking trails galore.

Posted by
8 posts

We are also going to Luxembourg, and in researching found a book entitled Luxembourg, by Tim Skelton; a Bradt travel guide. It has lots of information and great pictures. We first found it in the public library, then ordered it from Amazon.

Posted by
1966 posts

If you just want to visit a few places in Luxembourg public transport will be okay. The country misses the spectacular sights that draws the crowds, but as a whole attractive enough for a car drive along some scenic routes through the countryside and lovely little places like Vianden and Esch-sur-Sûre. It has a high standard of living and the roads are excellent. Luxembourg is a good base for visiting nearby places like Bastogne, Trier, Verdun, Metz or even Nancy.