Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg

Does Rick discuss travel in Luxembourg and Luxembourg City? If so, what publication contains this information, i.e. sights, lodging, etc??

Posted by
16893 posts

No, Rick has never covered Luxembourg. A couple of my colleagues have enjoyed the city for a day but not spent more time. For military history buffs, my brother recommends mnhm.net, reached by 45-minute train to Diekirch.

Posted by
14812 posts

I would suggest you check out the country's official visitor website. It has a ridiculous amount of information.

Visit Luxembourg

I found that there was a lack of decent guidebooks and did all my planning online.

Posted by
8261 posts

Luxembourg City is an enjoyable visit for an overnight. Several nice hotels are in walking distance to the train station. We enjoyed walking around the old city and the fortifications. A highlight was a visit to the American Cemetery which can easily be reached by taking the bus and walking a short distance. General Patton is buried there, but it is the graves and memorials for all the servicemen that are quite moving.

There is a Luxembourg strand on the tripadvisor travel forum website.

Posted by
1976 posts

We spent a day in Lux City and saw a lot in a short amount of time: casemates, fortifications, Villle Basse and much of the Ville Haute, and took a bus from the city center to the modern art museum. We didn't spend time in the rest of the country so I can't advise about that.

Posted by
32523 posts

Laura from Rick Steves says:=

No, Rick has never covered Luxembourg

Not quite true, but maybe I have a longer memory than some staffers LOL

Back in pre-history when the Netherlands were in the same guidebook with Paris and I took my first trip to Haarlem, Luxembourg was in there too.

This is when Haarlem had about 6 pages, and I met a good friend.

I can't exactly remember, and I just checked my shelves and the book has long fallen apart, been replaced many times and it is gone, but I seem to remember about half a page for Luxembourg. It may have been a bit more but not much.

Posted by
26840 posts

Without checking, I think the five micro-countries were Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, and Liechtenstein.

I used to fly into Luxembourg on my way to Switzerland or Northern Italy, because Icelandair was that much cheaper. I enjoyed wandering the old streets in Luxembourg. My one attempt to visit another city in the country was aborted when I managed to get on the wrong train--one that was headed to a rail yard. That was a bit of an experience.

Posted by
2119 posts

We spent 4 nights in Luxembourg in 2013, based in Diekirch, although we discovered that Ettelbruck would have been a better base. We used the great public transportation system (4 euros per person per day for unlimited train/bus travel).

Recommended sights: the terrific WW II museum in Diekirch; the castle in Viandon; the Family of Man photo exhibit in Clervaux. We enjoyed the countryside & little towns so much that we didn't even make it into Lux City! Lovely little country.

Posted by
616 posts

If you have time visit Echternach which features a very nice feast some time in June (always a Sunday). Not very far from Echternach, there is the Luxembourg Little Switzerland where you have nice walks to do in the woods.
In the nearby Berdorf, you have these huge stones with trees growing in them. Larochette nearby is a nice little town and might be a daytrip if staying in Echternach
The Sure ( Sauer) valley nearby is really beautiful. In Wasserbillig it meets with the Moselle. There is a special way open just for bicycles, that's also very nice. On the way, there are the famous Moselle vines and you may visit cellars in Wormeldange or Remich. On the other side of the river (Germany) is Trier (Treves) very interesting city. Luxembourg City Grund is nice and has a cultural centre which is quite vivid. Place d'armes has some atmosphere.