Please sign in to post.

Luggage storage

Has anyone ever used the luggage storage/lockers at a train station? Are they safe? I want to take an overnight "two day hike" with 1 change of clothes and don't want to haul my huge backpack, but don't know what to do with it!

Posted by
9101 posts

Lockers are fairly safe, but you should confirm that you are allowed to leave items in them overnite;it can vary. For example, I know that in Stockholm you can leave items in lockers overnite, but in Switzerland the major stations will empty out all lockers at around midnight and then hold items at staffed luggage hold desk.

Posted by
389 posts

Michael's comment is true but I've used lockers many times and like the ease of them over left luggage with the people because you never have to stand in line. In Copenhagen this summer we took the last 4 lockers and everyone else had to use left luggage. When we went to get our bags out the line and people waiting was horrible and we would have missed our train if we had to wait. Also make sure you can access the place after hours if you need that. Stockholm's lockers are out in the open so no problem, but the Copenhagen one is locked at some time.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Are they safe?" I forgot to lock mine in Leuven and my luggage was still there two days later. But don't take my story as typical...

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Jason,
My wife and I have traveled many times to Europe visiting many places, but with only one or two hotel reservations. We liked the freedom of staying longer or shorter in a place if we so desired. Routinely, we would place our luggage in a train station locker [rarely made use of left luggage] while we looked for logdings. Once we had taken a room we might walk back to the station [depending on the distance] and then take a taxi with bags back to the hotel. If we were thinking of leaving our bags overnight or for more than a day, we would make local inquiry. A vacation is no place to wonder if you have done the right thing with your belongings.
Have a great trip. P.