Please sign in to post.

Luggage size

Greetings, all.

The RS rolling backpack I plan to use for a trip this spring measures, fully packed, 21X12X14 inches. I used it last year traveling to England and Scotland and had no problem carrying it on, but I just checked the Air France (which we're using to cross "the pond") website and see that their carry-on allowance is 21X9X13 inches. Should I be worried that I'll have to check it?

Posted by
5835 posts

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/preparer_bagage_cabine_airfrance.htm

To be accepted in the cabin, your hand baggage must not exceed the
following dimensions: 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 21 x 13 x 9 in (including
pockets, wheels and handles).

Air France appears to have rounded DOWN the 35 cm dimension. At 2.54 cm/in. the 35 cm coverts to 13.78 inches. The 14 inch RS bag would seem to be close enough to 35 cm that a push should get it into the sizing frame.

PS the RS Rolling Carry-on is specified as 21" x 13 ½" x 9" (including wheels), a 1/4 inch under 35 cm.

Posted by
8889 posts

Yes, but. Jan says her bag is 21 x 14 x 12 inches. Even if the 14 inches is really 13½ (=34.3 cm) and is therefore OK, the bag is still 12 inches thick (=30.5 cm) which is well over the 25cm Air France limit (55 x 35 x 25 cm).
Is it this thick because you have packed so much in? Is it possible to get it under 25 cm thick (=9.8 inches)?

Posted by
5835 posts

If Jan's "RS Rolling Backpack" is: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/rolling-backpack
the RS website specs the bag at:

Dimensions: 20" x 14" x 7" (including wheels)

The referenced RS carry-on would be within a 1/4 of the AF carry-on dimensions and would work as long as it isn't overstuffed. The RS description says that it is "not expandable".

Does Jan have the "RS Rolling Carry-on" that is expandable by 2"? If that's the case, the solution is to not expand it and keep it at the 9 inch thickness.

Posted by
3161 posts

Most likely you've unzipped it since its expandable. Be careful because I've been questioned on Air France for size and weight of carry on. From their website:

Weight of your hand baggage and accessory must not exceed 12 kg / 26 lb or 18 kg / 39 lb, depending on your travel cabin.

Posted by
5 posts

It is that thick because of what is packed. And it is the 9" thick I worry about. I tried very hard to pack light for the three week trip and this case, along with my purse are my only bags.

Sigh. If AirFrance is very picky I'll have to check the bag and that will slow me down. Thank you for your responses. If anyone has experience with AirFrance baggage enforcement, I'd appreciate insight so I know what to expect.

Posted by
7279 posts

I see that you're going to Italy and taking some trains. The extra weight is going to be a much more significant factor after your plane ride. Do yourself a huge favor and look through some of the packing light forum comments. You will be amazed how much nicer it will make your entire journey. I've packed for 3-week trips that go from mountains in Switzerland to hot weather in Rome with just a carry on. Enjoy Italy!

Posted by
19092 posts

"Air France appears to have rounded DOWN the 35 cm dimension."

They have only rounded down the dimension they show for the convenience of the metrically challenged. The actual dimensions are still in centimeters, 55 x 35 x 25. The actual dimensions converted to inches to two decimal places are 21.65 x 13.78 x 9.84.

I think your problem is what you call "fully packed", which is what a lot of us would call "over stuffed".

Posted by
5835 posts

Jan: ...along with my purse are my only bags.

Ways to flatten our carry-on: Make it a large purse or "computer bag" with your purse inside the "personal item" along with camera, your 3-1-1 bag etc to reduce the thickness of your primary carry-on. I can also fit my Rick Steves classic (small) toiletry bag in my computer bag. You can also wear your waterproof/windproof jacket and fleece (and not pack it in your carry-on).

Posted by
23267 posts

I just went through an extensive year long search for a new rolling bag. I never found a bag with a depth greater than 10/maybe 10.5 but mostly closer to 9, 9.5. Jan, if you bag is measuring 12" that means you have popped the expansion zipper. A 12" plus bag is not going to make in the overhead. That is a critical measurement. More critical that the width of the bag. And more important, you bag will look large so if any gate attendant is looking around, you bag will be obviously oversized. You need to close that zipper. You can do it.

Posted by
12172 posts

So, now the issue is packing. Here's some techniques that will help:

If you've packed any items as unique outfit(s) - take them out and put them away. Every item needs to mix and match multiple ways to be worth packing. My mom is a heavy packer and starts by her mapping out her itinerary and deciding what outfits she'll need, at least two outfits per day.

Pick items that give you lots of flexibility to dress nicer, dress more casually, layer if needed or worn as the only layer.

Don't buy all new, or specialty, clothes. Bring clothes you know fit well, are comfortable and ones you'd like to be wearing when getting your picture taken. The clothes you wear most often are usually the best. One lady I used to work with always packed the contents of her laundry basket, then did her laundry right when she arrived. She figured those were the clothes she wore regularly.

(This is RS advice) Any item packed because you "might" need it needs to be taken out and put away. Only bring it if it will be used regularly enough to justify lugging it around.

Four bottoms and five tops that all mix and match make 20 outfits. On a 21 day trip you rarely have to wear the same thing twice. When you get back, you can hide the clothes you packed for a few months - you'll be sick of them.

Lay everything out and keep asking yourself what you can do without. If you end up really missing something, you can buy it there.

Posted by
6113 posts

Why on earth would anyone come to Europe for three weeks with such a small piece of luggage in order to save 10 minutes at the airport? I wouldn't dream of going anywhere abroad for more than a week with such a small bag, as I don't want to spend half my holiday washing clothes!

European airlines unfortunately have several different permitted luggage sizes and therefore, just because it was ok last year with one carrier doesn't mean that it will be ok with a different carrier. Bags in the UK are sold with labels stating which airline requirements they comply with. It's very irritating!

If you are travelling at busy times ie summer or weekends, there is a high probability that your bag will be placed into one of the metal frames to ensure that it complies. Paying to check in at the airport is usually significantly more expensive than doing it online.

Posted by
14507 posts

"Why on earth would anyone come to Europe for three weeks with such a small piece of luggage in order to save 1o minutes at the airport?" Bravo! Exactly. That presupposes one wants to save ten minutes at the airport, for me, not interested, only if I need to change planes which have avoided minus one time in Europe. Whether it's three weeks or close to three months, I pack at least 26 lbs, max 30, in my 4 wheel Samsonite spinner. I do wash laundry in the hotel sink, now and then, but also know of places to have it done in coin operated places in Vienna, Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Paris. To not run out of supplies ( socks, underclothes, even shirts), I do all three: : pack enough, time the trip as to where the laundry sites are and washing in the sink.