Please sign in to post.

luggage

recommendations on best carry on luggage to buy?

Posted by
1840 posts

You will probably get lots of help regarding your question. If this is your first carry-on you might seriously consider the Classic Back Door bag that Steves has on sale now. Also consider doing Google searches for "carry-on bags" or "light weight travel bags". There are several other blogs that deal with this subject more precisely but if you spend a few minutes on the computer you will give yourself some help.

Posted by
12172 posts

Do you want one with wheels or without? My wife prefers wheels, so I purchased one from Hays USA. This was the lightest I could find. Decent price, nice looking and well made. This link says a 5 lbs. +, my wife's came in at four and a half. Caveats: Be sure to get the two wheel version, the four wheel version adds at least two pounds. This should only be used for carry-on, it scratches easily when checked and loses it's sleek look (ours is silver). http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Heys-XCase-20-inch-Carry-on-Luggage/3378644/product.html?rcmndsrc=6 I prefer a convertible carryon. This one comes in under 2 lbs. and costs about a third of Rick Steves' convertible. If you put the two side by side, they are almost perfect substitutes - so I go with the lighter and cheaper version. http://www.campmor.com/essential-carry.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=60795

Posted by
1265 posts

Marie - I have the Campmoor Essential Carryon(weighs 1 3/4 lbs) and I love it. I just recently purchased the Osprey Porter 46(weighs 3 1/4lbs) and have used it on a few domestic trips and it worked out quite well. Also check out ebags.com for other travel needs.

Posted by
19099 posts

Before you invest in a Hayes, expecting to carry it on, note, their size is 20"x 14" x 10". They say their carry-on is "maximum allowable carry-on size for most airlines," but most US airlines specify a maximum depth of 9", and I know it would never fit into Lufthansa's sizing box (less than 8" depth). With hard sides, you might have trouble fitting it in the overhead rack. A soft sided convertible fits almost anywhere.

Posted by
32825 posts

marie this question has been asked and answered many many times here, including within the last week. Can I suggest having a browse around the recent topics, maybe go back a page, and have a look at previous discussions? I don't do the luggage questions, others do. Perhaps until they weigh in, doing that digging will prove fruitful for you.

Posted by
32215 posts

marie, As Nigel mentioned, this topic has been well covered in other Threads, even recently. The "Search" function has apparently been tuned-up, so you should be able to find the information easily. However, it would help to have some idea of the type of luggage you're looking for? Do you prefer wheeled luggage, Backpack, or other type? You might get some good ideas by having a look at the Magellan's Website. Cheers!