Please sign in to post.

luggage

My friend and I (both age 70) travel a lot in SE Asia and usually use backpacks instead of suitcases (because of bad sidewalks and lack of elevators). We plan to spend a month traveling around Turkey by bus and then a week in Istanbul. Do you recommend suitcases or backpacks?

Posted by
16053 posts

If you're happy with what you currently do, then keep doing it. I don't see any advantage to switching at this point.

Posted by
3428 posts

Darl- backpacks should be fine anywhere. Most people on this board like to pack light. That varies a bit from person to person. My hubby and I use Rick's bag (we got them more than 20 years ago). They are a bit of a cross between backpacks and soft-sided suitcases. We've taken them into 4 and 5 star hotels in Europe and haven't gotten a second look. You see a bit of everything "over there" from huge, overstuffed luggage to small school book-bag types all the way to true, hiking/camping type backpacks. If you are comfortable carrying your backpacks, do so. There are more disagreements here about wheels/no wheels than almost anything else (I'm with the no-wheels crowd- lol).

Posted by
4412 posts

Oh, Darl, hang onto your seat!!! The show's about to start ;-)...I'll begin - I'm in the camp of ALWAYS using a backpack if at all possible, and I probably don't need to extol the virtues if that's your preferred luggage, too. Bad sidewalks, lack of elevators, in and out of trains, having your hands free, easier to get through crowds, etc. You know all the reasons...Do you have any particular concerns about using a backpack in Europe? It's definitely not frowned-upon or considered in bad taste to use a backpack in Europe (incl. Turkey). You will have ALOT of company! Because you already use (and apparently like using) backpacks, I doubt anyone will try to change your mind, but there's definitely a suitcase crowd here, too. Vive la différence!

Posted by
32324 posts

Darl, I also use a Backpack for travels in Europe, as I find it's the most convenient and practical method (partially because of the reasons you mentioned). I'm close to the same age-range, and don't find it to be a problem. My Backpack is properly fitted for my torso range, so it's not hard on my back at all. If you have something that you're comfortable with, why would you change for your trip to Turkey? Stick with the Backpack!

Posted by
1170 posts

I prefer wheeled luggage because of a bad back and the ease of piling other things on top to use it as a luggage cart. But, if a backpack works for you...