Please sign in to post.

luggage

3 week trip to england/ireland. is it better to purchase a rick steves backpack type suitcase or buy a wheeled carry-on and a small tote bag? what experiences have others have?

Posted by
1116 posts

Marie, you will get responses from both sides of the camp- my question to you is will you be comfortable carrying a 20 to 30 lb or so backpack long distances? If the answer is yes, then go with the backpack because it'll free up both your hands and make you more mobile. If the answer is no, then use a wheeled carry on. For me it was an easy decision because I knew my back wouldn't be able to take carrying that weight for long periods of time. Now, if you decide on the wheeled carry on, you might wonder, should I get a spinner or 2 wheels? The answer I got when I posted this question myself was that spinner wheels are smaller and tend to get caught on cobblestones, etc. I ended up using a 2 wheeled carry on and I was quite happy with it.

Posted by
358 posts

When I travel to europe I take a RS 21" carry-on along with a small flight bag. Once a week i plan on doing laundry somewhere in europe.

Posted by
987 posts

Like the previous poster said, it is really what is most comfortable for you. I used to use a wheeled bag, and did not have the problems some people report with them, such as the wheels falling apart. Since I switched to the back pack, I love it. I love having my hands free. I use a regular backpack, not a suitcase with backpack straps. This is important because the regular backpack fits me well. If a backpack doesn't fit you well, it is not always comfortable to carry it for long distances.

Posted by
19100 posts

A lot of European airlines limit carryons to 8 kg (17.6 ). Since most wheeled bags weigh around 7#, you're only getting to take 11# of "stuff" in your bag. That won't be a problem to carry with a convertible bag. If you really have 20-30 #, you should plan on checking it. I've made eight trips to Europe with a convertible bag in the last 10 years. At first I was near the 17.6# Lufthansa limit. As I've eliminated stuff I don't need and learned to wash as I go, I've gotten that down to about 11#.

Posted by
23297 posts

Our preference is wheeled in the US because the streets, sidewalks are smooth and we usually rent a car. We are still using backpack style of carryon in Europe for many of the above reasons - keeps hands free, sidewalks are often crowded in Europe which makes dragging something behind more complicated, and this is a tendency to put more in wheeled luggage that backpack carryon bags. You need to keep the weight down. Anything over 25 lb can get heavy over time. Marcia is about 18 and I am about 22 lb in our bags. With 70 around the corner, we have have to change our approach.

Posted by
441 posts

I travel like Frank but my convertible never weighs more than #20. More than that isn't fun anymore.

Posted by
2788 posts

I have been using a 21" RS wheeled carry-on bag for the last 10 summers all over Europe with NO problems. I have a back problem that restricts me from using back packs.

Posted by
99 posts

"is it better to purchase a rick steves backpack type suitcase or buy a wheeled carry-on and a small tote bag? what experiences have others have?" As others have said, it depends on your own preferences I have a bad back. A backpack will not work for me. I have a 12 year old Samsonite wheeled bag. Although it's legally a carryon, I prefer to check it in. The other thing I carry is a camera bag that does not appear to be one. It's big enough for my camera, sunglasses and other small items I need on a daily bases. I have a carbiner attached so it can carry a bottle of water. My husband has a convertible and loves it. He also carries a camera bag that appears to be a daybag. The one other thing I pack is a tote that folds up into it's own pocket and can be worn as a hip bag or backpack or carried as a tote. I mostly use it for long flights when I like to carry along some small comforts. The last time we returned to the states, we packed all our dirty clothing in it and used our bags to pack souveniers. I've learned to take fewer clothes and more money!

Posted by
10241 posts

Has anyone had any problems carrying the RS 21" roller bag on Air Canada? They have a stricter carryon policy than the US airlines. Marie, sorry to highjack your thread. :-)

Posted by
3428 posts

Have used a Rick Steves' bag for more than 20 years. We love them! Sturdy, classy, and holds more than enough. I haven't found them difficult to deal with at all. I also usually take some kind of day bag (I've used different kinds over the years from "true" school backpacks, to messenger bags and others). I like being able to switch from "backpack" mode to sholder strap to hand carry. For me, wheels are just extra weight and take up too much space.

Posted by
1976 posts

I travel with a wheeled carry-on (not a spinner) and a regular school-type backpack. I can't carry anything heavy on my back for too long and am most comfortable with the suitcase. Cobblestones and steps in train stations are a pain only if I'm in a hurry. Whichever luggage you go with, remember to pack light!

Posted by
141 posts

It's really your preference. Every time I go to Europe I go through my "do I do a carry on and a tote vs. wheeled check in and tote?" debate. If the "carry on" side the of the debate wins, then I go through the "convertable vs wheeled?" debate. The older I get, the more the "wheeled" wins - it is tough schlepping a convertable bag into a restroom with strange fluids on the floor with no hook or an insufficient hook - (what is that mystery liquid I'm setting my bag in?). For me, the bag gets heavier and heavier the longer I schlep it. I've brought them all - but I also packed diasterously heavy my first trip back to Europe ten years ago - did I learn my lesson! The older I get and the more comforts I want to bring with me, the more likely I'm going to check a wheeled bag. I still try to pack light but I don't want to go to food heaven without my gourmet leatherman, good corkscrew, thin plastic cutting board and acrylic wineglass. The terrain I'm covering also plays a role - this year there is time in Paris but also a hike on Mont Blanc. My shoes are different for both activities. Bottom line, clothes are not packed for a three week trip unless it is worn at least three times - for me 4 pairs of pants, 5 to 7 shirts/blouses/tees, a sweater or fleece and my raincoat. Plan on doing time in the laundromat. I love the characters I meet in the laundromat - we can share stories while drinking wine I've been able to open with my corkscrew.:-)

Posted by
132 posts

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. They were very helpful. I would love to get the backpack but since I'm not supposed to carry too much weight on my right arm, I believe I'll go with the rolled luggage.
But do most of you use the packing cubes?

Posted by
441 posts

Marie,
I don't use packing cubes. I have sacks from Eagle Creek for toiletries, wash kit and clock,headlamp. I've got a big Eagle Creek sack for socks and underwear. I bundle pack my clothes. (see onebag.com) Have a great trip!

Posted by
307 posts

Marie, I use Rick's carry on, and his packing cubes. I have to say that packing cubes are awesome, especially Rick's since they're so lightweight, well made, and functional( and are designed to fit in his bags). They are great for helping to provide some "structure" to my bag when packed, so that my stuff is flopping around while I'm on the move. I roll or neatly fold my clothes, pack them in the cubes, and they stay securely rolled/folded. I never leave home without them now...

Posted by
82 posts

This is a question of preference but you might want to consider how important it is to you to be able to carry on versus checking your bag. I've used the RS convertible for years and have been happy. I recently returned and noticed a problem for those with wheeled bags that I hadn't seen before. We flew US Air and the attendants were holding those whith wheeled bags at the gate to see it there was enough room in the overhead bins. We were allowed to board with our convertible bags but a number of people with wheeled bags had to check there bags. The convertible bags, because they are flexible, can be stowed more easily on a full plane. The wheeled bags could only be stowed the long way --if you put them straight in the bin with the handle facing out, the door of the bin can't be closed. I saw this happen going and coming, so with a wheeled bag, you may be asked to check your bag unexpectedly. I suspect with baggage fees, people are carrying more onto the plane than ever before and airlines will become pickier about what they let on. On passenger protested about why I was getting to take my bag on but he couldn't get his wheeled bag on. The attendant said that they could fit mine in. Something to consider.

Posted by
2091 posts

Hi Marie, Is there a store in Boise that carries Rick's bags? I would highly recommend if at all possible, that you try filling one of Rick's rolling bags with weights equal to what you think you'll be taking (20 lbs?) then try lifting it, not rolling it. I suggest this because there will be times when you will need to lift it up stairs or up on trains or up hills or...? And then the same with the convertible backpack with the weight on your hips, not on your back or shoulders. Rick's bags are extremely light empty but I found that the weight of the packed rolling bag was extremely hard on my shoulders and I switched arms frequently. I just want you to be aware of the potential challenges!
Also...we really like Rick's packing cubes....and so does the TSA because they make searching so much easier for them. They also make finding things so much easier!

Posted by
10241 posts

Wheels vs. Backpack style is a personal preference. Some people feel the need to put down others because of their choice, but not everyone is physically able to carry a bag. Also, ignore any man who thinks a woman can pack as lightly as he does. I pack light, but i do take more than one change of clothes. Men don't need the toiletries that we do. I know you can buy them there, but unless you are not changing location you will still need to carry them! But packing cubes, ah yes...I love my packing cubes. Since the first time I tried them about 6 years ago I have not taken a trip without them. I have some of Rick's and some Eagle Creeks. I prefer Rick's.

Posted by
2091 posts

Andrea, Please don't consider me "one of those" who puts others down because of the rolling vs backpack bags! I definitely feel it's a "to each his/her own" situation and that we each need to take what is the most comfortable and manageable. I suggested that Marie try both especially since she needs to be extra careful with her arm/shoulder. For example, my sweet Aunt Marcia could NEVER have managed a backpack because she was SO short! Because of its weight--& she definitely packed lightly--I needed to help with the lifting,while I was wearing my backpack and my daypack. Okay...are you picturing me as a mule yet? yep! that was me, the mule!

Posted by
10241 posts

@Darcy, I was not referring to you at all!! :-)

Posted by
19100 posts

"I pack light, but i do take more than one change of clothes." So do I. I take "about 2". Actually two sets of underwear beside what I wear on the plane, two extra pair of slacks, three shirts, maybe. OK, I have to rinse a few things every night, but as long as I keep up on it, it doesn't take long. I'd much rather wash every night and have a bag that only weighs about 11#, which isn't hard on my back.

Posted by
19100 posts

As for packing cubes, I ditched my RS backpack a few years ago because I no longer needed the space, and his packing cubes wouldn't fit in my smaller Essential Carryon bag. Anyway, I don't have enough stuff to need them. My slacks fold nicely in half on the "floor" of the bag. On top of that are my shirts, neatly folded in a mesh, Tide washing bag. My two sets of underwear fit in an RS mesh bag. I have my tooth brush, tooth paste, whatever in a soft, vinyl school pencil box I found at Walmart. Any electrical stuff - chargers, adapter, spare battery - go in a stuff bag. Other than a medium weight sweater that goes on top unless I'm wearing it, that's about it. Oh, I also carry a small ziploc® bag with a couple of drip dry clothes pins, an inflatable hanger, and a twisted, suction cup clothesline, for drying the clothes I wash every night. Hmm. Now that I think about it, I could probably put everything into one packing cube and forget the bag.

Posted by
653 posts

I used to carry a backpack, but I'm not the girl I used to be. RS Travelstore sells a "backpack on wheels", which I bought for a 3-month trip to Italy this past summer, and I never used it as a backpack - even on cobblestone streets. It's a very good bag, and Ialso took a daypack. Laundry once a week.

Posted by
129 posts

...each trip i take less...i am at the point where i think i have it about set...i used to use rick's classic bag and it was great but i always had spare room...i now just use rick's appenzell bag as my main carry-on and i use a small swiss gear vertical travel in-flight bag i found at target for 20 bucks for my personal item...