Please sign in to post.

Luggage

I need some advice (or pros and cons) on what type of luggage to purchase for a months stay in Italy (Sept/Oct, 2008). There will be 3 adults on a two week tour then renting a car for additional travel on our own. It has been suggested I look at a wheeled duffle bag since it will be easier to position in the small car. Has anyhone had any experience with a wheeled duffle bag?

Posted by
61 posts

Are you on a Rick Steves tour? If so, remember the size restrictions regardless of what bag you choose, and that you can carry it by yourself.

Posted by
23235 posts

Personally --- I think any wheel bag is a pain in Europe. In the US we use a standard size carryon, rolling bag but for Europe we go to the carryon size, backpack style of bag whether it is one week or six. I don't see how a wheeled duffle bag would provide an advantage over a standard rolling bag. However, it is personal preference. There is no correct answer.

Posted by
14932 posts

If you're looking for carry-on size then a wheeled duffel will not work. I bought one that was supposed to be carry-on size but after you include the wheels and handle--it was too long.

I have two of them...a 22 inch and a 25 inch. Both are the same bag just different sizes. I use the larger one when traveling domestically by car or if I'm going to one place only and don't care about checking a bag.

Mine are Ebags own brand of rolling duffel. Excellent quallity for the price. Even if you don't buy their bags, check them out to see what things you might want on a bag and what you don't.

If you're not taking a RS tour, then more than likely your luggage will be brought to you in your room and picked up and taken to the bus.

What size bag where you thinking of getting?

Posted by
12172 posts

We went for a month with five, my wife and I, 16 and 12 year old sons and an 8 yr old daughter. We leased a seven passenger car and each took one carry on. I took a convertible carry-on from E-bags. My wife and sons all took roll-ons. My daughter carried only a largish day pack. We all survived and were happy with our choices.

The cars are small. If you stick to one carry on each (either kind) you should be okay.

Posted by
934 posts

A packpack type like Steves is best and I carry one.However my wife cant carry it so she has a Steves wheeled bag.On most flights they can be carried on.Only on intereurope flights will they be a problem as they dont fit in the overheads and may have to be checked.

Posted by
2030 posts

I always take a wheeled carry-on to Europe, and it has always worked out really well for me.

Posted by
1449 posts

Sue, by a wheeled duffle bag I'm thinking of ones that are larger than carry-on size. IF you are going to get one, make sure it has an extending handle and not just a handhold at the end; I've used the latter kind and its hard to pull along any distance since you're supporting much of the weight with your shoulder.

However I've since reformed. A carry on is what you want, whether you're going somewhere for 6 days or 6 weeks. You don't need that many changes of clothes or that many accessories. With a carry-on your bag is right above you on your flight, so it goes to the same European destination you do. And you should understand that a small car in Europe is small. I don't think you can fit that much luggage into it, certainly not 3 larger bags. Rick's books and this website have lots of info on traveling light.

Posted by
1806 posts

Wheeled bags, duffle or not, are completely useless on cobblestoned streets (which Europe has lots of).

Wheeled bags, duffle or not, are also completely useless when you have to climb up or down a very steep, narrow staircase to get to your hotel room that's on the 3rd or 4th floor (which is actually considered the 4th or 5th floor by U.S. standards) because lots of hotels in Europe don't have elevators - or if they do, they are extremely small and slow.

If you don't have back problems, I'd recommend a convertible pack. Eagle Creek has several packs that feature stow-away shoulder straps and waist belt - when zipped up, it's like you are carrying a duffel bag. Because they are soft-sided, you can also squish them into a trunk.

Posted by
64 posts

I took a wheeled-convertible bag with me for my month-long trip to Europe. It was made by Eagle Creek, was slightly larger than the carry-on size (though I had no problem taking it on the planes with me) and had a zip-off daypack. I found that it's rolling ability (great for the end of the trip when my bag is full of take home gifts and the train station, but not for actually getting on a train ), it's backpack straps that could be taken out at any time (for strapping on my bag for stairs, metro stations, etc) and the zip-off daypack gave me enough versatility for my trip. I think it was the "Eagle Creek Switchback Max ES" or something similar. Very sturdy. Expensive though - about $200 or so on sale at REI. It's worth it to me though, since I know I'll be taking it out again.

Posted by
28 posts

Four of us all had a Swiss Army 22" wheeled carry on with day pak. They were pricey ($300 each) but worth every penny. All of our travel was on the train and we did 5 countries. Our suitcases went over cobblestown streets, curbs, dirt paths, etc. We used Rick Steves packing cubes and were able to pack a large variety of clothing. The suitcases are lightweight, have terrific handles that swivel, and conveniently placed handles to help in lifting on and off trains and storage bins. We all agreed our Swiss Army carry on's were our best investment and we will use them again and again.

Posted by
1158 posts

I had a bad experience with a duffle bag and I will never use one again. It was about 28-30 in long with 2 big pockets on one side. I put stuff in these pockets and I was pulling it from the subway station to my hotel, it was falling on the side with pockets. It was so hard to keep it straight. My mistake I put so much stuff on the side.
However in my opinion a regula luggage will be more stable than a duffle bag because is wier and less tall.
I like wheeled luggage even if they are heavier. If you are going just to walk from your car to your hotel, I think the best choice is a wheeled bag. If you are going to do longer walks or even hiking you will need a comfortable backpack.
As others mentioned, European cars are small and since will be 3 of you , the backseat won't have much room left for your luggage. We can rent a larger car, but it will cost you more money, and I don't belive it's worth it just to have extra room for luggage.