Please sign in to post.

luggage

Has anyone tried either the Osprey Ozone 22" or the Lipault 22"? The Osprey weighs 4.8 lbs. and the Lipault weighs 5.8 lbs. The weights are excellent, but I'm wondering if there are drawbacks to either or both. Thanks. I should add that these are wheeled carry-ons. That is the reason the weight of thse bags is very good.

Posted by
19092 posts

The weights are excellent Makes me wonder what wouldn't be excellent? Cast iron? My convertible backpack weighs only 1.8 lb.

Posted by
1840 posts

If you are aiming for a convertible carry-on both these are too heavy. You should try to find something under three pounds.

Posted by
19092 posts

This is the bag I've used for 3 or 4 trips now, and I find it to be excellent, but it does require some discipline to keep the weight down. With every thing I need for two weeks, it weighs less than 12# packed. That's little more than 1½ gallon of milk. Who needs wheels for that?

Posted by
10221 posts

Lee, you are a man. And most men don't pack like you do. I assume Ashley is a woman, and as such would have different packing needs. Maybe someone who is familiar with the bags she is asking about will have an opinion.

Posted by
375 posts

I agree that for a wheeled bag these are very good weights. Ashley said nothing about looking for a convertible bag; she is looking at wheeled bags. Many people on the Helpline like to pack extremely light and/or carry convertible backpack type luggage, and that is fine. But not everyone wants to travel that way. Live and let live. Ashley, although I didn't buy it, I did look at the Osprey Ozone 22" once when I was in the market for a new bag. I decided against it for a couple of reasons: it is 22", which is a bit larger than I wanted. I often fly smaller discount airlines within Europe and it would be too big for that. I also didn't care for the type of handle it has (the "T" configuration), but that is just personal preference.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ashley, I personally cannot carry a bag on my back, so always use rolling bags, and have never had an issue with them, yes, I have to pick them up for stairs, whoopee te do.. lol I would buy the cheaper bag, if you are able to carry it on plane then does it really matter if its built like fort knox, I mean the worst treatment bags get is when they are checked, so any sturdy bag with good wheels should be fine. I spent like 90 bucks on a bag I have used for last 7 years or so, I made sure wheels were good , but other then that I did not over stress or over think it.. a good thick zipper that doesn't look like it will split easy is good too. My bag is about 6 pounds and its fine.

Posted by
108 posts

My husband and I have the RS 22" rolling bags and have used them for years. We have no complaints about the bags. But, the older I get, the heavier everything seems, and I would like to replace my bag with a lighter 22" rolling bag. That is why I'm curious about the two brands, Lipault and the Osprey Ozone, which are lighter than my current bag.

Posted by
2527 posts

As we await direct responses to the question, let's relax and enjoy the unrelated comments.

Posted by
28 posts

I just ordered a Jeep wheeled carry-on 20' from ebags.com for my upcoming trip. It weighs 3 lbs. With the airlines now weighing carry-ons, I started looking for the lightest wheeled one I could find and this was it. I can't carry much on my back so this was the best solution for me. Hope this helps.

Posted by
12172 posts

I bought a maybe HeysUSA 20" roll-on for my wife - two wheels, semi-hard sided. It was the lightest I could find and seems well-made. I like that the handle is a T so only one piece of metal taking up room in the main space. Most roll-ons, because of the fixed wheels and handle, measure longer than they advertise, so a 20" is the safer option to always fit (if measured at the gate). Hers weighs in at 4.1 lbs. - I'm not sure why this says 5? http://www.luggagepros.com/heys-usa-xcase-exotic-zebra-20-carry-on.shtml?utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=HeysUSA&utm_campaign=PID6825 I bought a metalic silver, but it comes in lots of options (like zebra and crocodile).

Posted by
8141 posts

Ashley:
I've found TJ Maxx to be one of the best places to buy first class luggage. Luggage is kind of generic, and going for a state of the art bag can cost you much more $ than it's worth. Burlington Coat Warehouse is another place with great luggage. Rick Steves' luggage is a very good value, and it was on sale last week. My hat's off to you for sticking with a rolling carry on bag. We have not checked a piece of luggage in years, and nobody's going to misplace my bags any longer.