Please sign in to post.

luggage

I'm planning a three-week trip to Italy in September, and have read with interest the postings about the types and sizes of bags available. I've also looked at the websites for brands like Red Oxx, MEI, Tom Bihn, Patagonia, eBags, L L Bean, etc. I had originally thought I'd take Rick Steves' new convertible bag, but it's size and some postings on this site have led me to reconsider. I thought I would prefer a backpack, but again, am open to suggestions. I would like to take a bag a little smaller than the maximum carry-on size. As you can see, I am very confused and undecided. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated...Jim

Posted by
32212 posts

Lori, you might check out the Eagle Creek line of Backpacks. They have both "conventional" Backpacks as well as rolling models, and a great line of accessories such as Packing Cubes, Folders, Money Belts, etc.

If you decide to go with a Backpack, be sure that you're properly measured for torso length so that you get the most appropriate model.

Cheers!

Posted by
4132 posts

One generally unsung advantage of traveling really light, with a smaller bag, is that the bag doesn't have to be all that good. A big bag needs good straps and padding and maybe an internal frame, but a smaller bag can be just a rucksack. As a bonus, they weigh next to nothing.

On my first trip to Europe I used a bag like that, basically a rectangular cordura bag with hideaway shoulder straps.

That may be the extreme case, but choosing a smaller lighter bag (say, Rick's "classic" bag or smaller) has many benefits.

Posted by
1455 posts

Lori, I am a petite woman and so I prefer a 20" bag with wheels and carry a small backpack in case the airline makes me check in the suitcase. Some of the bargain airlines will make you check in the suitcase, even though its small.

When looking for a bag, take into account the weight when empty. Figure when you add your own clothes it will add to the weight, which you get to haul around Italy.

eBags is a good site to get items. Their delivery time is fast, and their return policy is excellent.
Use the search box above to see prior posts on luggage.

Posted by
1449 posts

Lori, take a look at the site http://www.onebag.com/ that has tons of info, as well as some recommended bags. I ended up going with a bag they suggest on their site (which I first saw on a RS tour last year when a fellow tour member had it and raved about it) the MEI bag. It's got an internal frame so it carries a load like a regular backpack, but looks just like any other carry-on. The padding on the shoulders and waist is great! The only caveat is the guy that makes them isn't that quick, but since your trip isn't until Sept. you'll have time to get the bag if you decide to get it.

BTW before I bought the MEI bag I had the RS bag (older version, though) and it was a fine bag; it just turned out after seeing it that the MEI bag was better. I don't know about the "new" RS bag that people have been discussing, but the older one was ok.

Posted by
441 posts

Lori, if you do decide to get a regular backpack, please get what's called a "travelpack". The straps can be hidden by a panel and don't hang up on the airport's conveyor system. I'd take one of the rucksacks instead of a pack because some places "look down" on backpackers and a rucksack looks more like a suitcase. Whichever you decide upon, check the weight very closely since some European airlines allow only very light carry-ons.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've been happy with my ebags convertible carry-on.

I like the fact that it includes a sternum strap, waist strap and compression straps that help you keep the load compact and against your body. I also like the organizing pocket on the front.

When I pack, it's not full but your load invariably expands when you travel so I like to leave room for that.

As others have said, pay attention to the empty weight of the bag. The lightest bag isn't necessarily the best (onebag.com gives a good description of materials to look for) but it's good to know what you are getting for the weight. I would personally never get a roll-on because it weighs more and packs less. Others think the wheels are worth the extra weight so choose a roll-on over a convertible carry on.

Being able to tuck away the backpack straps is a good feature. Even if you think you will always carry on your bag, it always pays to be flexible. If you get a backpack, get a bag to pack it in if you ever need to check it.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks to all of you who responded. Two of my major concerns are 1) if a maximum legal carryon size bag will actually be larger than what I really need, and 2) if that size bag might be pushing the limits by the time I fly. I would love a bag sized in the midrange--not quite MLC, but not too small either. I've looked at the Tom Bihn Western Flyer, for example, but fear that would be too small.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm probably overthinking the problem.

Posted by
82 posts

I don't know that you're overthinking, just being thoughtful. There's a difference. ;)

One thing you might definitely look for are bags with external compression straps. These allow you to "pull down" or "shrink" the bag when your load is less then the entire volume of the bag. There are short compression straps in the 4 corners of the bag (like the RS bag) which can reduce the depth/thickness of the bag, or longer compression straps that go more around the bag's exterior (like the MEI bags), these effect the thickness and even the width slightly.