Please sign in to post.

Looking for Iceland suggestions for our trip in March 2018

I'm not seeing a forum for Iceland, so hoping this forum can provide some suggestions.

My husband and I and our two kids (age 21 and 16) will be vacationing in Iceland in March 2018 during their spring break vacation. As expected, we are hoping to see the Northern Lights - but also want to enjoy the beauty of the country. Perhaps some ice caves and whale watching. Rick's first Iceland book won't be out in time for our trip - so hoping to get some great ideas from this group!

Please let me know your recommendations on where to stay and what to see and do. I'm also hoping to find some tours that we can use for transportation, as we are not keen on trying to drive there since it will still be winter there.

I am looking for flights now using my Delta miles, so expecting to fly into Reykjavik.

Thank you.
Suzette
Atlanta, GA

Posted by
2549 posts

Check to see if there aren't extremely cheap flights to Reykjavik and save your miles for a better value.

We did the Golden Circle tour. There are plenty of organized tours, but if you will rent a car the 4 of you will save money.

Posted by
3551 posts

Having just visited Iceland , i would like to recommend taking a tour or rent a car and follow the general touring suggestions. The real iceland is away from Reykavik. Definately see, glaciers , waterfalls and hopefully One island and the Icelandic horses, for sure. They are a small stocky breed and beautiful.
Whether u ride or not it is not imp. Just see and photo them.
It is a rugged, natural area and that is the draw for Iceland. It can be pricey for a tou4ist so be aware espec when e@ting out.

Posted by
61 posts

Echoing the others to say that renting a car is the way to go in Iceland! Reykjavik is a cool city, but the beauty of Iceland is really the natural wonders outside of it. The Golden Circle is a bit crowded but worth seeing. My favorite sights were Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon and the Snaefellsnes Peninsula (Vid Hafid Guesthouse was a clean, quiet hostel on the peninsula, near the national park, that I'd recommend if you wanted to stay a few nights in that area).