Please sign in to post.

Long Term Car Rental?

My wife and I are planning to visit Europe for 6-9 months and want to have our own car. Any suggestions on a best way to approach this? Do we buy on and sell it when we leave? Do we lease one for 6 months? Do any rental companies structure reasonable cost options for that length of time? If so, which ones? Is there a way to connect peer-to-peer to rent one from somebody? Lot's of questions and I'm probably missing a few options. Thanks very much if you can offer any suggestions. Travel well.

Rhett

Posted by
6532 posts

Are you aware of the 90/180 day rule? Are you sure it is a good idea to have a car for the entire period?

I don't think it is easy to buy a car if you're not a resident.

Posted by
7566 posts

Another issue, but related to operating a car, is insurance. Rental companies are happy to sell you CDW coverage, for a sizeable additional fee. Then again, our VISA card provides us coverage, as long as we use it to pay for the rental, but for a maximum of only a month.

I’m not certain what a lease would require/involve, and could you find an automotive insurer that could provide adequate coverage for the timeframe you’re considering, and for where?

Then again, manufacturers like BMW have a European Delivery program, where you buy a new car, set to specifications for your home country, go to the factory for an introduction to your new ride and receipt of your keys, then tour around Europe in it until it’s time to go home, and your vehicle is shipped home, too. I think SAAB did that at one time, but that’s no longer an option. Maybe Volvo has something similar? Perhaps some Italian brands? British? I believe you’d start at a dealer near your home, but it would require some more investigation.

Posted by
1602 posts

Autoeurope has Citroen leases. I use the Canadian site: https://www.autoeurope.ca/citroen-europe-lease/

Leasing covers all auto inusrance, breakdowns etc. Best place to pick up (in terms of price) is one of the airports in France. You will pay more in other countries, and a substantial fee if dropped off in a different country. You may be out of luck for this summer, if that is in your plans.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks very much for everyone sharing their thoughts, very helpful. I'm working on an itinerary that works with the 90/180 and it appears like 'leasing a car is the way to go' but there may be a peer-to-peer option as well. Nothing new to you experienced European wanderers. All the best. Rhett