Please sign in to post.

London Theatre tickets?

I think this has been asked before, but i can't find it..If i finally manage to go to London for a weekend do i have to book in advance to get a good price, last minute seat...I especially want to see LES MISERABLES again...and has anyone see MAMA MIA, the play?

Posted by
9363 posts

Mamma Mia! has actually been on stage in London since 1999. Still, its popularity has kept the theatre full and kept tickets from being discounted. I would love to see it again, though, even at full price.

Posted by
32253 posts

regina, you might try the half-price ticket TKTS booth in Leicester Square, as they often have discounted tickets available on the day of the show for various productions. I doubt that booking in advance would have a better price?

YES, I have seen Mamma Mia (the Musical) at the Prince of Wales Theatre in London and it was wonderful!!! Tickets for Mamma Mia weren't offered at the TKTS Booth on the day I was there, so I just went to the Theatre and bought them. As I recall, the Prince of Wales Theatre had an awesome bar at intermission!

If you're a fan of ABBA music, note that Mamma Mia, the movie open on July 18th (starring Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep, executive producers Bjorn, Benny, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson).

Cheers!

Posted by
448 posts

thanks...the film hasn't opened yet in France..but it's a must-see for me. I was raised on musicals..still iron the shirts while watching South Pacific..But don't think i'll go see the new "High School"(???).play. If anyone has London favorites i'd love reading your reviews.

Posted by
264 posts

TKTS is very well reputable and known. However there are a lot of other agents also in Leicester Square. I think there is a general accrediation that they post however Caveat Emptor. Normally though someone has some tickets you can get.

lastminute.co.uk does theatre breaks.

Posted by
9363 posts

I've seen Mamma Mia, and if you're an ABBA fan, it's nonstop fun from beginning to end. I can't wait for the movie, either, but the musical is just wonderful. Lots of people must agree because it was sold out for years. See it!

Posted by
8700 posts

If you go to the Official London Theatre site and click on the "tkts" tab at the top of the page on the right side, you will find a list of all shows currently playing and which ones offer discount tickets through the tkts booth at Leicester Square. "Les Miserables" is on the list, but "Mama Mia" is not.

I suggest you call the theatre box office where "Mama Mia" is playing in the morning of the day you wish to go and ask about "concessions" like returned tickets which you could buy at a reduced price.

Posted by
69 posts

You shouldn't have trouble getting into Les Miserables. But I would go to the theatre itself earlier in the day. Last year we tried the Leister Square 1/2 price booth for The Lion King and they wanted an outrageous amount of money. So we tried the theatre box office and got same day tickets for alot less. Probably not as close but good seats anyway. Mama Mia is amazing!! It was one of my favorites. I want to see it again. I reserved my tickets way in advance for that but only because I was on a tight schedule and wanted to make sure I got in.

Posted by
1294 posts

I agree with Stella- go to the theater and ask for their best deal on tickets. For Les Miserable you shouldn't have any problems, since it has been around a long time. In 2002, we showed up 2 hours before the performance and bought tickets (obstructed view) on a low balcony for 11 pounds. The obstructed view was just the lower right corner of the stage where not much took place (which matched what the kind lady in ticket booth told us) The lady sitting next to me paid a lot more for her ticket!! Our seats were so much better than the ones I paid $60 for to see the same musical here in the states. I would be a little more concerned about Mama Mia since it hasn't been around as long.

Posted by
632 posts

We saw Mama Mia at the Prince of Wales 2 years ago and it was incredible (Abba is one of my guilty pleasures)...we bought our tickets at noon on the day of the play at the theater. The theater is very centrally located just a couple of blocks from Piccadilly Circus. I don't think there are any deals on Mama Mia....

Posted by
3428 posts

Mama Mia is a great show. Get your tickets at the theatre as recommended. Also- check out We Will Rock You. If you love Queen, or that era, you will LOVE the show. We have seen Mama Mia about 6 times and We Will Rock You 10 times. Both are wonderful.