Please sign in to post.

London

Does anyone have any suggestions on what hotel to stay at in London?

Posted by
172 posts

We have stayed several times in the Premier Travel Inn chain, about 99pounds per night altho I see the rates have gone up a bit. Southwark and County Inn are okay, but the one near Earl's Court wasn't quite as clean, just remember they are an inexpensive hotel chain. I liked the London City Centre Hostel (HI Hostels) just as well and much cheaper! Whatever hotel you do chose, remember to check it out on Tripadvisor.com or another such sight.

Posted by
10344 posts

Tracy: Please give us an idea of your price range (not to exceed per night), so that our replies will be more useful to you.

Posted by
180 posts

If you have never been before I would recommend the Paddington area. We stayed at the Shaftsbury as recommended in Rick's guidebook and were very happy. Only a few minute walk from the Paddington Station, yet it's a quiet area of town. Nice location for a stroll over to Hyde Park as well.

Pete

Posted by
780 posts

If all you need is a bed and bathroom, then the Easyhotel may work. I used it last time (Earls ct and Paddington locations) and am staying at Earls Ct again in April. Rooms are very tiny, just the size of the double bed and a bit more. Has a toilet, sink and shower inside the room. All newer. I paid 24 Pounds a night including VAT.

Its great if you just need somewhere to store luggage, sleep and shower.

Posted by
110 posts

I'm a big fan of the Alhambra on Argyle Road--right near Kings Cross/St Pancras. Excellent value for the dollar, huge English breakfasts. I was back there over the holidays

Posted by
277 posts

I have stayed at the tourist hotel: Bayswater Inn. Two blocks from the Bayswater Metro. Specifics see their web site.

Posted by
32216 posts

Tracy,

You might have a look at Cartref House, however as others mentioned it would help to have some idea of the price range you're considering. Cartref is located in the Victoria Station area, which is very convenient not only for the Gatwick Express but also the Tube and the London Victoria Coach station. It's a quiet neighborhood and there are some good restaurants nearby.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Jumping in late on this ...

We went to London last May and had a variety of hotels, with an overnight in Cambridge in the middle of the trip. Our first 6 nights and our last 2 in London were obtained through Priceline - The first at the Holiday Inn in Camden, the last at the Novotel Kings Cross. Cambridge was at the Travelodge, as was the following night in London. Our Priceline rooms were less than $100 a night, great rates especially for the Novotel.

Posted by
881 posts

I stayed at the Days Inn Westminster over Christsmas in 2006, and even with the 2 to 1 exchange rate on the pound, and the holiday, I got a great $140.00 per night deal from Expedia. The hotel is nice, rooms are well appointed, and it's got a great location. The bathrooms required you to be a gymnast to shower or do your business, but we well appointed. Enjoyed my stay, would highly recommend! :)

Posted by
44 posts

I stayed at the Bayswater Inn on my first trip to London. I was assigned a room in the basement that smelled of smoke and had small brown bugs in the bathroom. On a tour I met some fellow American ladies who were staying at the Thistle Lancaster Gate-they said it was very nice.