Please sign in to post.

Location in France or Netherlands to Spend the Month of June 2020

Hi everyone! My wife and I are hoping to take a month-long holiday somewhere in either France or the Netherlands this June. (We'd rather do it another time of year but with work and other responsibilities this is the time it'll have to be.) We're not wanting to do lots of travelling around; we want a place where we can settle down and relax. (We'll rent an Airbnb apartment, and I can do some work over that time remotely.)

Last Aug we spent a week in Leiden on our honeymoon and loved the charm of that town. For this trip, we'd like something with lots of charm and "quaintness," perhaps a small town. It'd also be nice if there'd be good bicycling opportunities, scenery, etc. nearby. Ideally, it'd be a place where we won't have to rent a vehicle.

I've considered a few towns in Normandy, or in Alsace. There's also some great places in the Netherlands ranging from larger towns to smaller villages. We are trying to find the cheapest way to make this happen too...

I'd be happy to hear your advice!
Paul L

Posted by
16028 posts

Alsace would be centrally located for visits to nearby areas, and should be nice for cycling. Colmar and Strasbourg have train service.

I saw a nice studio apartment in Colmar on Airbnb for $712 for the month of June. But do be aware of the cancellation policy applicable to 30-day rentals on Airbnb. Basically, if you cancel after the first 48 hours within booking, you lose your entire payment.

Posted by
6431 posts

You're looking for a "small town" where you "don't have to rent a vehicle." Also bicycling opportunities. To me, that all points back to the Netherlands, where so many towns have train service and the terrain is flat. I don't have enough experience there to recommend a specific place, but there should be many choices and some of our Dutch posters would have good advice.

In France, based on where I've been (not including Alsace), you'd have trouble combining the small town and the public transportation. Not that no such place exists, just that it might be harder to find.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks, Lola! That's a good suggestion. How do you think that'd compare to, say, Rouen or Rennes?

I'd be interested in specific Dutch town ideas too.

Posted by
26840 posts

I suspect the much higher population density of the Netherlands versus France also makes it more likely that from any given small town there will be quite a lot of others within a day's cycling distance.

Posted by
6113 posts

France in June (not peak season) will be much better value than the Netherlands.

The island of Oleron is ideal for cycling around on dedicated cycle paths and exploring local markets and pretty villages. I have always taken our car there plus bikes. You can take the ferry there from La Rochelle, which is the closest airport.

Posted by
17 posts

Hi, I spent five days in Lichtenvoode in eastern Netherlands last October, and I thought it totally charming, neat and tidy, very clean very friendly. I stayed at the ‘t Zwaantje restaurant hotel, but you may be able to find apartments near there. There was a bicycle shop around the corner. I went there for a battle reenactment that is held in Groenlo every other year. My (English) 9th great-grandfather was killed in the battle there in 1627, so it was of interest to me. (See Slag om Grolle on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtHQGvzYnfo) There is an apartment spa hotel in Groenlo called the Havezate Marveld. I would have liked to have stayed there but over my budget, but a few days there for a dip in the pool would be nice. This area is near to the German border. From the Amsterdam Centraal Station, I took two trains to get to Doetinchem, and from Doetinchem the number 72 bus to Lichenvoorde, get off at the Twentyroute stop. It was a place I'd like to move to.

Posted by
7595 posts

We love Normandy. Bayeux is a great small city and must see the Bayeux Tapestry. Also, you can take the train or bike.

Posted by
7130 posts

I saw a lot of bicycles in the Loire Valley when I was in France last year. If you’re interested in a lovely area of chateaus, medieval centers, wine, etc. this would be a great destination. Also, you could easily take the train for some days in Paris, too.

Posted by
12172 posts

I was really happy with the Languedoc region in June. It reminded me of Burgundy (farms, forests and medieval towns) but with fewer towns and more forest between the towns. I'd be happy with Alsace or Burgundy too, but I think the cost - especially in a small town - would be a bargain in Languedoc compared to the more visited areas.

Posted by
374 posts

A few years back I stayed in a small village in the Languedoc and cycled every day for a week along the Canal du Midi. The B&B owner drove the 10 miles to Narbonne to pick me up at train station. It was a fabulous trip. I rented a very nice bike for the week for about $90.
You could find a place like that or look into Narbonne (a big town/small city).

Posted by
839 posts

Luxembourg City is in the absolute middle of your areas of interest. Big enough, small enough, near enough to lots of day trips.