Please sign in to post.

Lightweight Luggage??

We recently saw luggage of the brand "IT Lightweight Luggage" which had a weight on the 24" rolling suitcase of 4# 4 oz. It is, of course, much lighter than anything else that we have of that size. The luggage is supposedly made of "strong density fiberglass", but it looks thin. I can't find any ratings from anyone who has actually USED it that speak to how it holds up through airline use. Has anyone used this luggage and if so, did it withstand the airline's handling? I would definitely like to try the suitcase...the less weight of the case, the more I can pack, of course. But I would hate to have it fall apart on the way!!! Any comments appreciated!!

Posted by
23548 posts

The objective is to pack less, not more. A 24" is a large suitcase and most likely not a carryon size. May guess it also has the four spinner wheels.

Posted by
10515 posts

It does have the 4 spinners. I saw it at TJMaxx. Someone on Flyertalk mentioned it. Go to the productions forum and look for lightweight luggage.

Posted by
976 posts

I hope you get an answer. I saw it there, also- cannot imagine that the handle would last for many trips strictly due to baggaage handlers. I've had a nice carryon piece of Tumi for years- the one time I was tired and checked it,the airline scuffed it up badly.

Posted by
195 posts

Thank you for your replies. Yes, Bets, I will go on the Flyertalk forum...hadn't heard of that site. And, yes, I know that the object is to pack less, not more, Frank!! My husband and I will be traveling in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Czech Republic for 6 weeks next spring, and our goal is to pack 1 carryon and 1 24" piece, which will be checked. Generally we do only carryon, but this requires a bit more due to the weather. I am a light packer and understand what you are saying...the 24" is for both of us, and the carryon is also for both of us...total..2 pieces of luggage. We are traveling with another couple, and also know that the luggage has to fit in the car!! I don't really think a 24" is "huge" after what I've seen at the luggage carousels!!!!

Posted by
3580 posts

I would go with two 22" carry-on size bags. You can wear your coats and cold weather gear onto the plane. It is possible to travel for months with one 22" bag. Do laundry when you can and regular hand laundry in your room.

Posted by
195 posts

Yes, Swan....it is possible to travel for months with just carryon...we do it that way most of the time, and yes, I do laundry, both hand and laundermat, when necessary, and yes, we were planning on wearing coats on plane. My question was about the IT bag's durability, and if anyone had had experience with it. This trip is a different sort of trip than the ones we usually take, and will require a bit more choices, which is why we are thinking we will need to check 1 bag. But what I was asking was about the bag, not the packing!!

Posted by
922 posts

You might consider having a look at the Osprey line of luggage. They give a lifetime warranty to repair any bag of theirs that gets damaged.

Posted by
3838 posts

Hi Donna, I bought the IT Lightweight 24" rolling suitcase at TJMax to use for a car trip and vacation here in the USA. I was NOT pleased. The side of the bag caved in because my husband packed some stuff ontop of it in the trunk. Two of the wheels came off and could not be put back on without super glue. I returned it to the store for a full refund and then bought a rolling American Tourister bag of the same size that I was very pleased with. I think this bag will not withstand the travel you are asking it to do; just my opinion. I think the bag may have a punctured side eventually with all the handling at the airports. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by
195 posts

THANK YOU, Rebecca!!! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for...firsthand from someone who had used it!! Actually I would have liked it better if you had said it was extremely durable and you loved it, but oh, well!! If it won't last through a car trip, I'm taking no chances on it lasting during our Europe trip....lots of airplane and train travel. I'm returning it to TJMAXX tomorrow!!! And I will look for another brand that is reputed to be more durable....maybe American Tourister?

Posted by
195 posts

Sorry to hear that, Becky.....not a good recommendation. Yes, we are going to Europe again, and I am trying to find a very light, yet durable bag (24"..to be checked) that will have the wheels AND the zipper intact when we return. Seems to be a bit difficult. Did find a couple that might work...High Sierra at 7.1 pounds and one other that I forget the name of that is under 8 pounds. It doesn't matter quite as much how much the carryon bag weighs...we are traveling on international carriers. Will keep checking and researching...but there doesn't seem to be ONE perfect bag out there!!!

Posted by
360 posts

If you're going to Europe or any other country that has cobblestones, my best advice is to look for something with strong wheels as they will be the first to go. I would suggest the Rick Steves bag because the new carry on is really light, but I literally just used mine for the first time and the zippers broke completely off (my bag arrived in the carousel completely open).

Posted by
2788 posts

I am about to go to Europe for the 11th consecutive summer and have always use a RS 21" roller bag or its predecessor, also from RS. I check it in when flying both ways so it gets a workout from the "you know who's" behind the counter. The only problem I have ever had with that suitcase was once when the handle refuse to lock shut. I took it to the RS headquarters in Edmonds, WA, a 20 minute drive, and they replaced it on the spot. They told me to be sure to keep the receipt since other stores are now selling RS products and his headquarters does not do warrantee work on items purchased elsewhere. RS claims to live just fine out of his 21" for the three months he is in Europe every year. We could also do that. I have pulled that suitcase all over Europe and over all kinds of cobblestone streets and the wheels are still intact.

Posted by
5790 posts

Donna, I've been happy with my Travelpro maxlite rollaboard bag. The 22" bag that I have is expandable and I use it expanded when I need to carry more; maybe that size could even work for you if you used it expanded. I've had it for several years and have used it regularly for business travel, as well as for my personal travel. The wheels and zippers have all held up well. It has been checked many times and the exterior still looks good. I got mine from Amazon at a very good price, but eBags also often has good prices. I'm sure they have a larger version.

Posted by
195 posts

Thank you, Laura, for that info. The TravelPro does come in a 24", but only in black, and we prefer colored luggage(for locating on the baggage carousel!) But the TravelPro was my 2nd choice and I liked the looks of it. I did just order the High Sierra Elevate 24" on Amazon...it's on sale for $88 and has very good reviews. It's also a bit over a pound lighter than the TravelPro. In these days of travel, every pound counts!!! We have 2 High Sierra 21" that have lasted very well through many trips, both carried on and checked, so we, too, are quite happy with that brand (and the great price on Amazon!!).

Posted by
16038 posts

Check out the Osprey Ozone series of luggage. About the same weight as the IT stuff but much better made and more durable. (Plus lifetime warranty.) I don't travel with wheels anymore, but if I did, I'd buy the above mentioned ones. They don't come in a 24", just 18, 22 and 28. REI carries the bags.Your local Reno store has the 22" in stock--according to their website.

Posted by
195 posts

Thank you, Frank II, for the info. It does look like a very nice, lightweight bag and far more durable than the IT one. However I have just ordered the High Sierra 24", which costs far less ($88) on sale through Amazon, and has very good reviews. I have difficulty justifying $229 for a piece of luggage when the less expensive ones serve the purpose just as well. My friend spent $430 on a piece of luggage and the airlines trashed it in one trip (can't remember the brand). We don't spend a lot on luggage, but it does seem to last a long time if we do the research before purchasing and go with the input of other travelers. Which is why I posted the question on here. If I was going to spend $200+ on a suitcase, I would definitely look into the Osprey Ozone further. I would rather put the difference of $141 toward the trip!!!! And our previous High Sierra luggage has lasted well through 3 trips to Europe and a month each of planes, trains, and automobiles....for this trip, we wanted a slightly larger bag and it will be checked.

Posted by
348 posts

Rimowa luggage (Germany) is astonishingly light. It is quite pricey. Perhaps there is another polycarbonate brand you can get at a better price.