Please sign in to post.

LAYOVERS

We are planning a trip and a particular flight is attractive to me for our trip to France and Spain. PHX to LHR LRS, leaving 2 weeks later from MAD to ATL to PHX. PHX to LHR to TLS...with only a 1.35 hr layover in LHR. I've been to London, been through LHR 15 times, and I frankly can't remember how long it takes to get through. I know we have to grab our luggage and take a tram to another gate, then go through security again, but I don't know if I can make it. the next flight on the day we want to go is a 6 hour layover...not my idea of a fun time. Should I chance the 1.35 hr layover? We are stowing bags with 2 older kids and 1 younger one.

Posted by
998 posts

I personally would not risk it. You shouldn't have to get your checked luggage if you purchase the whole trip through one airline, but you will have to go through passport control. That can take enough time, and if you have to change terminals and go through security, it can take even longer. If your first flight is delayed for any reason, you are cutting it really close. I always give myself a minimum of 2 hours between flights, so I would just deal with the 6 hour layover rather than dealing with the stress of 1:35 layover.

Posted by
90 posts

yes thats what Im wrestling with....the shorter layover flight puts my in TLS at 1835, and the other flight puts me in at almost 2300 I have such a horrible time with jet lag and time changes. It usually takes me a week to get used to time changes..... and its rare for me to see a flight so late, which would let me sleep some.

Posted by
5790 posts

Mark, You will NOT have to go through passport control at LHR. The UK is not party to the Schengen Agreement, and thus you will stay in the transit area. You will go through a security check. What airline? For PHX - LHR - TLS, is it on BA? Assuming that you are on one ticket on BA, both flights use Terminal 5 so there is no transfer to a different terminal. The minimum connection time for a T5 international flight is 60 minutes. Here is the info for a T5 to T5 connection from the Heathrow website: T5 to T5 connection. If your flight arrives on time, then 1:35 would be sufficient to transfer. Assuming that you are on one ticket, your airline is obligated to get you to your final destination. I've missed connections twice at LHR when my inbound flight as arrived late. In both cases, I was put on the next flight to my final destination.

Posted by
90 posts

yes, its all british airlines.....the next flight is what Im worried about... its another 4 hours away, which puts us in very very late...I doubt we would even be able to check into our house near carcassonne.... I like the idea of that quick layover, it would be great!

Posted by
1072 posts

My personal risk tolerance says to try it, but have a plan in your back pocket, such as an airport hotel in Toulouse, if things go sideways. But...I looked up the on-time performance of your PHX-LHR flight and it's abysmal. A 'very poor' on-time rating and a 53% on-time history over the last sixty days. See here: http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByRoute.do Could you fly a day earlier, book a Toulouse hotel/hostel for the first night, and arrive fresh in Carcasonne the next day right at check-in time? Might be a lot more fun/less stress, and safer driving too!

Posted by
15768 posts

It doesn't sound like a good plan to try to get to the house the same day. It seems like there's a real possibility that you'll end up on the later flight even if you book the earlier one. Who knows, maybe BA will hold up your connecting flight for you - some airlines do that, but with another flight later in the day, it's not as likely. And the chances of your luggage getting on the early flight are not so good. Will there be someone at the house the next day to receive the luggage delivery?