Please sign in to post.

Jeans in Europe

I'm 68, been on two of Rick's tours in the past. I've always worn slacks and Rockports, ie. "sensible clothes for old guys". Now I find I really like wearing Levis 505 jeans around town here at home. Much more comfortable than slacks. How do the Steves' community feel about it? I was told by a tour guide in the past that she doesn't like to see tourist s wearing white socks with dark shoes. O.K., I can live with that. I am asking the more "mature" travelers how they feel about this. Thanks, Mike

Posted by
1178 posts

68 here,...go to Spain and Wales as well, two times per year for several years. Wear whatever feels good...jeans, kakai, dress....and no problem with any one at any place....

Posted by
23268 posts

Jean are very prevalent in Europe - all sizes, shapes, some full of holes - but almost always on younger bodies. Cannot say I have many retired local or tourists in jeans. I would not wear them mainly because jeans are so much harder to care for and I don't find more comfortable than a nice blended slacks that looks a little dressier. But that is me. I also preferred to look a little better than some of my peers. So if you comfortable with jeans do it. No one is going to say anything.

Posted by
78 posts

You are a 68 year old man. Do you really want fashion advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet? Wear what you want and do not worry about it. Of course common sense applies. I wouldn't wear shorts and sandals to dinner at an expensive restaurant, etc.

Posted by
989 posts

Wear what ever you want that makes you feel comfortable. You will not be out of place in Europe in Levis 505 jeans. I hope that tour guide was only expressing an opinion and not trying to set down a rule that you had to follow. If she was....what gall!!! BTW...68 does not make you an "old guy" 68 is middle aged. Old is 90ish.

Posted by
1525 posts

68 is in the middle of 136... ...just sayin'...

Posted by
813 posts

I live in Europe and people of ALL ages wear jeans. It's the white sneakers and baseball cap that yell 'American.' With dark shoes and dark coat you'll blend right in. The other point I've found is-- the younger the guy the tighter the jeans.

Posted by
629 posts

I wear my jeans on the plane and pack one pair each of slacks and shorts for 2 weeks or 2 months travel. I don't wash my jeans daily at home so I don't worry about the slow drying factor and wash them every week or so. I'm 56 and feel comfortable in jeans and that's what counts most to me. My friend's father is 82 and wears jeans or shorts all over Britain & Europe. We are tourists and cannot hide the fact! By the way, I saw a few photos of Rick Steves in jeans from his latest trips!

Posted by
2876 posts

Best travel jeans I've found are Tilley's "True Blues." They pack flat, taking up much less suitcase space than Levi-type jeans. You can wash them in a sink and they dry overnight. And they're extremely comfortable & look really good. Not cheap, but IMO well worth the price. www.tilley.com

Posted by
1068 posts

Yes - I think we can all (mostly) agree that the age of "Europeans are more formal with their attire, so no jeans please" rule is WAAAY out-dated. What screams "Clueless American Wanker!" is the fat white running shoes/jeans/basebll cap combo. What also screams "American" is anything that's sloppy, garish with logos, and the like. But again, it's a fine line. For a guy of 68, I would say jeans are just fine. In fact, I have ogled many a nice, slightly older, European man in a pair of well-fitting Levis with a nice shirt and classic sweater or jacket. Yummy! So this RickSteves website community member okays your denims, but says please, avoid those GHASTLY fat white American sneakers at all costs!!!!! :o)

Posted by
989 posts

"68 is in the middle of 136... ...just sayin'..." Be NICE, Randy - Your day is coming ( and faster than you expect) ....you'll be 68 someday and you won't feel like an "old" person. My mantra is:
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Posted by
8943 posts

Everybody wears jeans, it is more the cut of them that is different. To be honest, just wear what you are comfortable in, and that includes white shoes. I know I have posted this dozens of times on here, but white shoes do NOT give you away as a tourist. The shoe stores here are filled with white shoes, Puma, Adidas, Nike, all are popular. If your jeans are long enough, how would anyone see what color of socks you had on anyway? Your tour guide was rude, and it sounds like more of her personal opinion about fashion than anything else.

Posted by
44 posts

You're 68, wear whatever you feel like! From my observations you will not be out of place in europe wearing jeans. Just watch out for the baseball caps and t-shirts/sweatshirts all covered in logos or smart-ass verbiage.

Posted by
870 posts

I agree with others that wearing jeans is perfectly acceptable and fashionable. With regards to the white socks phenomenon, I personally believe that it is a fashion faux pas regardless of whether you are traveling in Europe or going to the grocery store in your hometown. I am not a big fan and only wear white socks if it does not go beyond my ankles. But then again, that is my personal preference and if you enjoy and are comfortable in white socks and dark shoes, then I think you should continue wearing them. I think the operative word is "personally", whatever you find personally comfortable and reasonable. David Letterman wears white socks all the time with his suits and dress shoes, much to my chagrin. Also, I realize that one will look like they are from somewhere else regardless of dress, but does how you dress make you a traveler or a tourist? I rather be thought of as a traveler in their land rather than a tourist.
Just realized I don't fit your request for opinions from "mature" travelers. I thought I was approaching middle age, but by Elaine's math, I am now much too young for that. Hoorah for new math.

Posted by
1357 posts

I wear jeans all the time at home, but the only caveat about taking them traveling is if you're going to wash them. I wash my clothes in the sink most days when I'm traveling, and it takes a good 2 days for jeans to dry. Even if I'm staying put for a couple of days, it just makes me feel like a gypsy having stuff hanging in the bathroom for that long. But sometimes the weather calls for jeans, so do it. I'm just chiming in, I do have to make the distinction that I'm no where near "mature" yet. Sorry, guys.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think jeans are fine to wear in most cases. My problem is they aren't good travel clothes (heavy, bulky, hard to wash/dry, don't dry quickly if you get caught in the rain). They also tend to stretch out of shape (especially around the waist, butt and knees )and don't recover their shape without an American style wash and over-dry - which is expensive and time consuming on the road. They might also be too warm if you travel in summer. I have some pretty nice khaki type pants that are non-cotton that work well for me. Wear them if you want, you will probably look more like a non-tourist than those of us wearing "travel" clothes.

Posted by
10225 posts

Wear your jeans if that is what makes you comfortable. I usually wear a pair on the plane, and take one more pair with me. They would not be easy to wash in the sink, but if you will have access to a washer they usually don't take more than an overnight to dry if you have to hang them. Of course that depends on what time of year you are traveling and how warm/cold it is. I see people wearing jeans in all shades of blue. And I agree, they will make you look less like a tourist than "travel" pants!

Posted by
2026 posts

From a couple of also-matures...We live in jeans. Fretted, sweated and angsted about wearing jeans in Europe. Will now take nothing else. And I have worn dark Crocs with white socks too, so there! And we have had the time of our lives and have been treated like kings.

Posted by
2023 posts

Ralph Lauren himself is always seen in jeans(typical for him is a dark blazer, jeans,white turtleneck, &loafers wo socks-very sharp looking!)-I think he is over 70. I never travel to Europe wo jeans as they are so versatile and can be dressed up or down. They need to fit properly, of course, and IMO be a darker indigo shade of blue. There are lots of lighter weight jeans to choose from and these are not a laundry problem. White socks with dark shoes is a bad look. JMO.

Posted by
934 posts

In the winter I wear jeans almost everyday but in the summer they are too warm so I wear something lighter.I do nothing different in Europe.

Posted by
365 posts

My jeans, white socks and athletic shoes are set off nicely by my "I (heart) Wales" baseball cap.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks to all of you who responded to my sartorial query. I think the responses were a slice of the wide variety of Rick's clients. As a result of your advice, I've just ordered a pair of Tilley jeans. I'll wear them with pride and confidence, knowing that my fellow travelers would approve. Most of all, I appreciate your sense of humor in addressing this extremely important issue. Yeah, right! Goutez, Goutez, Goutez Mike

Posted by
24 posts

I'm 59 y/o and been to Europe many times and I always wear Levis 505 with no problem. While you're wearing your jeans check out the jean displays in store windows. 505s go for about about 120 euros in Germany. You'll feel like a rich person!