Please sign in to post.

Iv fluids

So I accidentally erased the first post. Still looking for ideas. I have a chronic and terminal illness. I routinely need iv fluids through my port. While it's not every day, it is absolutely needed. 1-2 liters every 2 to 3 days. Those of you who responded I would appreciate it if you would respond again. I'm having one of those days! So I am a medical traveler with Delta and have been for years. They take excellent care of me as do their partners. I have never traveled and received this volume of fluids in the past. My physician and I are trying to figure out how to do this together. I carry a lot of documentation and medical info because I have a rare disease. I have to carry this documentation no matter where I go. Doesn't matter if it's the grocery store France! I know more about my disease than most medical professionals do as they probably got less than 2 hours instruction on in school and the odds of seeing someone like me is pretty slim. Doc is more than happy to write letters for anything. We're both excited I am going to go on this trip. There of been several times over the past year when whether or not I would see the spring of 2017 was in question. I would appreciate any suggestions on carrying 1 liter IV bags through security. Or is it better to try to check them? Has anybody gotten fluids through a hospital in Europe? If so, is there a standard protocol for that? Or purchased fluids there? I prefer to hang the fluids on my own. However three weeks of fluids in 1L bags is really heavy and a lot to carry. I will need the port needle changed as well. Guidance of any kind is greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2393 posts

Your medical fluids can be carried on and do NOT count at all towards your liquids allowance nor your carry-on baggage. The one thing you must do is pack only med supplies in the bag and it will be exempt.

I did not see your other post so I do not know where you will be traveling.

I would search for clinics/pharmacies near where you are staying and arrange for services/supplies there through your Dr's office.

Where will you be? Perhaps there is someone on these boards who can help you find the services you need.

And - so glad you are able to work out travel with your condition. My husband has several issues himself that we have to consider when traveling so I do understand.

Posted by
296 posts

I too did not see this previously. Perhaps you should post this on the individual country or countries you are traveling to and perhaps more people will see it. I almost always only read the travel forums' countries, not General Europe nor Tips & Trips reports. Good luck to you!

Posted by
1844 posts

I think your original post indicated a 3 week trip. At the usage rate you've listed that works out to between 7 liters at the low end and maybe 20 liters at the high end. Water weighs 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) per liter. I wouldn't think you would want to carry that around Europe. I think sourcing a supply or supplies while in Europe may be your best option. This may involve going to a physician there so that you can get a prescription (?).

Have a great trip!

Posted by
80 posts

The TSA talks about carrying medications (fluids) on its website under "Disabilities and Medical Conditions." If you go on their website there is information about a blue card that you can get called a "TSA Notification Card" that will probably help expedite you through security. Also sounds like having TSA Precheck is a good idea.

I don't know how many IV bags you are bringing, but I would not check them in my suitcase. As much of a pain as it is, I would pack them in a separate bag to carry on. Why not consider getting a "lift" through the airport via cart or wheelchair. Probably cart would work better. Your airline should have info about this, and I am sure an airline rep at the airport can help you.

Sounds like the TSA tries to be really helpful in this regard, so check out their website. Have your doctor write what your illness is, what you are carrying and why (including any tubing, needle set-ups, etc.) Have your doc write an order for what kind of fluids you need, how often and the volume, in case something happens to the IV bags. Of course you know to carry a list of your meds and any documents that state what you would want done in an emergency. Carry your insurance cards and doctor contacts in the USA.

If you can change the port needle, I don't see why you'd take precious time from your vacation to go thru what will probably be a real hassle in a foreign hospital. Are you traveling with a partner who can, or is willing to be trained? Many European hotels have a list of doctors that will make a "house call" if you need it.

Sorry if some of my "advice" is obvious. Really want you to have a great adventure with no hassles. I hope this vacation fulfills your travel dreams and more!