Please sign in to post.

Itinerary suggestions September 2022

I'm looking for some ideas for an itinerary for end of September. A work opportunity will take me to Venice and my partner will be joining me after commitments finish 24 September. He has not been to Europe before and I have had the good fortune to have had many trips, including several to Italy. I have a few thoughts but am looking for some other ideas. We will have 10 days, at this point we do not have our return tickets so open jaw is an option. We are interested in great scenery & food, outdoor activities/hiking and architecture. Not looking to spend alot of time indoors/museums etc on this trip. Thoughts have included the Dolomites, heading to Portofino or Cinque Terre via Emilia-Romagna, Slovenia, Verona & area and then to Munich for the end of Oktoberfest, Puglia. Not really interested in Rome/Florence this trip. Train or car rental. We are adventurous, like to be active and eager to finally travel after staying close to home the past 2 years. We dont want a rushed trip either, we know there will be other trips. TIA

Posted by
8141 posts

"Thoughts have included the Dolomites, heading to Portofino or Cinque Terre via Emilia-Romagna, Slovenia, Verona & area and then to Munich for the end of Oktoberfest, Puglia. "

I think you've already answered your own question. Take your pick. No losers here. And the rental car is the best way to see some of the most beautiful countryside you'll ever see. We love to go north out of Venice past Udine and crossing into Austria @ Lientz to the the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway.

Posted by
2311 posts

Score I even got to your ideas, I thought Slovenia. Ljubljana & Lake Bled in the fall will be gorgeous.

Then on to Salzburg, then fly out of Munich. Or stay in Austria and fly out of Salzburg. The drive from Ljubljana to Salzburg is easy (and stunning) if you rent a car. So much to see in both Slovenia and Austria.

Posted by
4372 posts

Have you decided how much time you would like to spend in Venice? (not counting the time you will be there prior)
Agree you have good ideas already and just need to pare down, but I'll throw another idea in there anyway--take a ferry across to Croatia and drive around Istria or explore the Kvarner islands. Flight home would be more tricky, but options include Pula, Rijeka, and Zagreb.
Dolomiti would be my choice, easy peasy!

Posted by
457 posts

Wow, don't know where to begin with places to go there are so many options ... I do like the trip ending at Oktoberfest (I've been twice, last time was in '91 so I am way overdue for a third trip) ... but if you are considering this, finding a place to stay in town will be expensive so look for a place outside town where you can catch a train ... don't even think about driving, especially if you plan to partake in trying the different beers, they go down so easy and then bam, you're in no condition to drive.

Posted by
92 posts

Thanks for all the great suggestions/feedback. I am going to work on putting together an itinerary for Slovenia, with a rental car pick up in either Venice or Ljubljana. I would love to find a way to include the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway (thanks for the suggestion, it would be something my partner would love) and have used points to book a hotel in Munich for the last weekend of Oktoberfest. Hopefully I can figure out a way to make it work - train to Munich from either Venice or Ljubljana and home from Munich. Our ten days can be extended, I just want a trip that makes sense. Thanks again!!

Posted by
92 posts

Just an update. We are not able to stay as long as we had planned, so we changed the where. Wedecided to go to Oktoberfest for 3 nights (thank you Marriott pts) and then to Austria for 8 nights, including the Grossglockner High Alpine Road, thank you for the suggestion. I didn't think we had enough time for Slovenia so it will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestions!