Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Suggestions?

Hey all,

Travelling to Europe April-July. If you could take a peek at my itinerary and give suggestions on order of countries and flow of trip that would be great. Maybe taking in to account cost of flights/trains from country to country, ease of travel, etc.

I have it set up this way for a couple of reasons. Flying home from Iceland seems to be one of the cheaper options. From what I saw the parts where I fly within Europe seems the better option than taking a train. My only must is that I be in Paris June 10th for the start of the Euro tournament. Thanks all!

Fly April 25th from Vancouver to London
England 7 days (London - Bath - Liverpool)
Fly to Ireland 3 days (Dublin)
Fly to Spain 4 days (Barcelona)
Fly to South France 5 days (Nice)
Train to Italy 18 days (Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Sorrento, Naples, Rome)
Fly to Greece 7 days (Athens, Naxos)
Fly to France 6 days (Paris, Normandy)
Train to Netherlands 3 days (Amsterdam)
Train to Germany 4 days (Berlin)
Train to Czech Republic 4 days (Prague)
Train to Poland 3 days (Krakow)
Train to Austria 3 days (Vienna)
Train to Hungary 3 days (Hungary)
Fly to Iceland 3 days (Reykjavik)
Fly home July 7

Posted by
7175 posts

Wow !! What a comprehensive and ambitious trip.
For what you propose I don't think it can be ordered any better.
Are you planning night trains Prague >> Krakow >> Vienna ?

With 6 internal European flights planned, my only suggestion would be to reduce that to 4 by dropping your 3 nights in Dublin, rescheduling them as a stopover in Provence (Avignon) while travelling Barcelona to Nice by train.

Fly to Spain 4 days (Barcelona)
Train to Provence 3 days (Avignon)
Train to South of France 5 days (Nice)

Posted by
23 posts

The proposition of dropping Dublin is intriguing.. it would save us a lot of time and money. One can get caught up in all the Guinness it has to offer :) Looks like I will have to do some research on Avignon!

Posted by
606 posts

I agree - consider cutting out Dublin and use that time for non-Paris France or non-Barcelona Spain. Dublin is nice, but you've got so many other cities on your itinerary that it likely won't be worth the hassle of the flights for such a short visit.

I always advocate for less pavement if possible. Naples-Rome-Athens will be an intense stretch of impervious surfaces. I would consider dropping Greece altogether and using those 7+3 (dublin) days to hit rural villages and/or the Alps in-between some of the bigger cities on your trip.

Posted by
7175 posts

easy jet flies directly from Liverpool to Barcelona.

For your 18 days (nights?) in Italy, perhaps along this line ...
From Nice via Genova to Cinque Terre (3 nights)
Venice (3 nights)
Florence (4 nights)
Via Naples to Sorrento (4 nights)
Rome (4 nights)

Posted by
7175 posts

There is also an option to take a direct early morning train from CT to Milan (arrives 9:55am). Check your luggage at Centrale and spend 5-6 hours exploring Milan, before heading on to Venice (2hr 35min by train).
I say this because most journeys from CT to Venice will route you via Florence.

Posted by
23 posts

@djp_syd When would you make a pit stop to see the leaning tower of Pisa in your proposed Italy itinerary?

Posted by
8154 posts

Your itinerary is what I'd call overly ambitious. While you're going for a long time, 13 completely different locations will take 2 weeks out of your trip--just riding trains and planes. I'd hate for your trip to be a blur. My suggested fast moving but smoother itinerary would be:
Fly April 25th from Vancouver to London
Take Eurostar to Paris 6 days
Take fast train (6 1/2 hrs.) Paris-Barcelona 4 days
Fly to South France 5 days (Nice) on EasyJet or Vueling Airlines
Train to Italy 18 days (Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, Rome, Naples, Sorrento) Fly to Greece from Naples on EasyJet.com
Greece 7 days (Athens, Naxos)
Fly from Athens to Budapest (3 days) on Ryanair
Train to Vienna (4 days)
Train to Salzburg (2 days)
Train to Munich (4 days)
Bus to Prague (3 days)
Train to Dresden (2 days)
Train to Berlin (4 days)
Train to Netherlands 3 days (Amsterdam)
Fly to Iceland 3 days (Reykjavik)
I'd tell you to skip Ireland and Poland. Also, 5 days in Nice may be a little much. You just cannot go everywhere on one trip.

Posted by
7175 posts

When would you make a pit stop to see the leaning tower of Pisa in your proposed Italy itinerary?

Best then to forget the Milan idea, and travel ...
Cinque Terre >> (change at) La Spezia >> Pisa (store luggage & see the tower) >> (change at) Florence >> Venice

Or you could do a morning excursion to Pisa (54mins by train) whilst you are in Florence.

Posted by
606 posts

Just out of curiosity, what goes on in Naxos? I've never heard of it. I assume you would take a boat direct from Athens?

Posted by
17953 posts

You are a missing the "places in between".

Picking up your trip in Prague I would do

Arrive Prague
In Prague
In Prague
Morning Shuttle Prague to Cesky Krumlov
Afternoon Shuttle Cesky Krumlov to Vienna
Vienna
Vienna - Melk - Vienna
Vienna
Vienna to Gyor and the Abbey at Pannonhalma by morning train
Gyor to Budapest by afternoon train
Budapest
Budapest
Train Budapest to Eger
Train Edger to Budapest
Budapest
Budapest
Fly to Iceland

Posted by
23 posts

@Matt I've heard that Naxos is an easy ferry ride from Athens, and it is a bit less 'touristy' then the more well known islands, but offers great beaches and scenery.

Posted by
23 posts

@ James E. In your suggestion for the Prague on-wards part of the trip, how/where would you fit Krakow in. This is an important visit on the trip for me.

Posted by
17953 posts

TravelingCanadian,

Your train from Prague to Krakow will take a minimum of 6 hours as will the train from Krakow to Vienna. I don't do 6 hours on a train and I don't do night trains. Just me. The route I gave you as far as Budapest is pretty efficient. I would do Krakow at the beginning of your trip or the end of your trip so that you either fly into Krakow or out of Krakow and you don't have to deal with transportation to and from Krakow in the middle of the trip.

There are a couple of options depending on budget. Are you a Hostel traveler or a Kempinski traveler? Personally, I would arrange for private transportation from Budapest to the High Tatras in Slovakia (I can recommend someone), spend a day or two seeing the mountains, villages, castles, etc (one of my favorite places), then I would either train or private transfer to Krakow. From Krakow I would make the flight to Iceland. This way you don't loose a lot of time getting to and then from the hard to reach Krakow. Transportation cost for two to three people a total of $600 I think.

Or there a morning flight out of Budapest with a change in Berlin that will get you into Krakow before noon for about $200 a ticket

Posted by
32212 posts

Matt E.,

Naxos is a wonderful and scenic island and well worth a visit. It's one of the largest of the Greek Islands and as I recall mostly self sufficient in terms of agriculture. An interesting Liqueur call Kitron is produced there. It is indeed an easy Ferry ride from Athens. Have a look at THIS description of the island for more information.

Travelling Canadian,

If I'm reading correctly, your trip appears to be about 70 days? I'll try to offer a few comments tomorrow as it's late and I'm not focusing too well at the moment. For cheap flights, one other option you could look at is WestJet, as they will be starting inaugural flights into London / LGW sometime next spring, using their new fleet of 767-300ER aircraft. As this is a new venture for them, I'm sure there will be some good introductory prices.

For your visit to the Cinque Terre, have you decided which of the five towns you plan to stay in? I'd suggest getting lodgings booked as soon as possible as they book up quickly.

If this is your first trip to Europe, I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip. Use the RS country and city specific guidebooks to plan lodgings, transportation and sightseeing.

More to follow.....

Posted by
606 posts

Thanks for the info on Naxos. Seems like a nice place to visit.

Posted by
23 posts

@Ken thanks! Would love to see what you have to suggest. Also I was thinking of staying at Riomaggiore. However any tips on what village to stay in would be awesome too!

Posted by
17953 posts

There is another way to Krakow from Budapest.

Call the Atlantic Hotel at Népszínház u. 55 exactly 8 days prior to the date you wish to go to Krakow. Tell the reservation clerk that you want the “traveler’s room” for one night, on the date you want to travel to Krakow. She will respond, "Thank you Laszlo" if she says anything else at all, trip is off. Sorry, cant help you.

Otherwise, Take the number 28 tram to the hotel. Be careful you do not get on the 37A tram. It goes in the same direction but you are not permitted to use it.

Check in at the hotel at precisely 2:07. Do not state your name just that you are a “traveler”, you must pay cash (200 euro) and you will be given a key to your room. Go to your room, leave your luggage and make sure the mirror in the bathroom is clean. If there is anything written on the mirror, leave the hotel immediately. Sorry. The trip has been canceled. Please leave quickly and do not get on a tram. Use the sidewalks and move as quickly away as possible. QUICKLY!

Assuming the mirror was clean, now find your way to the Antik-Bazár in District VII at Klauzál u. 1. Walk. Do not take the tram. Understand you are being watched and you must do this correctly or there will be no traveling for you.

Inside the Antik Bazar on the second floor you will find some old MALEV Airline luggage. Find the smallest of the bags and purchase it. The clerk will tell you it is not for sale, but tell him that you are a “traveler” and that you need it for your travel. He will understand and tell you the cost is 6,000 Forints. Hand him instead 250 euro, accept no change and return quickly to your hotel. Again, you must use the 28 Tram line.

Back in your room open the luggage and remove the false bottom. There you will find a piece of paper with four digits on it and a tube of lipstick. Now go to the bathroom and look on the mirror. With luck there will be three digits written on the mirror in the same distinctive lipstick that was in the luggage. If it doesn’t match then leave the hotel immediately. Sorry. The trip has been canceled. Please leave quickly and do not get on a tram. Use the sidewalks and move as quickly away as possible. QUICKLY!

Otherwise, Using the room phone dial the 3 digits followed by the 4 digits. A woman with a heavy Russian accent will answer. Tell her your destination. Nothing else, just your destination “Krakow”. She will respond with a number between 1 and 24. Once you have that number hang up. If there is any other conversation, leave the hotel immediately. Sorry. The trip has been canceled. Please leave quickly and do not get on a tram. Use the sidewalks and move as quickly away as possible. QUICKLY!

The number is the time. 45 minutes prior to the time, leave your room with your luggage (including your new Malev Airline luggage) and walk down Népszínház towards the center of town.

Look on both sides of the street until you spot a black 1976 GAZ M 23 sedan. The car will be parked in front of a coffee shop, restaurant or a bar. Enter at exactly the appointed time.

Look for a beautiful woman wearing lipstick that matches that which you saw on the mirror. If you don’t see her leave immediately. Sorry. The trip has been canceled. Please leave quickly and do not get on a tram. Use the sidewalks and move as quickly away as possible. QUICKLY!

If she is there, approach her, say only “I am the traveler” then kiss her passionately. She will take you across the Czechoslovakian frontier and into Poland; or at least that’s how it worked in 1979 when I did it.

Posted by
32212 posts

Travelling,

If you haven't booked flights yet, I'd suggest a slight change in the order of cities for a more efficient route. That should minimize both transportation time and cost. If I were planning a similar trip, I'd probably arrange it something like this.....

• Apr. 25 - D1 - Flight to Dublin
  • Apr. 26 - D2/N1 - Arrive Dublin, light touring and jet lag recovery
  • Apr. 27 - D3/N2 - Dublin
  • Apr. 28 - D4/N3 - Dublin
  • Apr. 29 - D5/N1 - Flight to London (your flight choices will likely be RyanAir or Aer Lingus - which one to choose may depend on which London airport you want to arrive at - if you choose RyanAir, be very careful with luggage weights and read the Terms & Conditiions)
  • Apr. 30 - D6/N2 - London
  • May 1 - D7/N3 - London
  • May 2 - D8/N4 - London
  • May 4 - D9/N5 - London
  • May 5 - D10/N1 - EuroStar to Paris
  • May 6 - D11/N2 - Paris / Normandy (you didn't say how many days you want to spend in Normandy)
  • May 7 - D12/N3 - Paris / Normandy
  • May 8 - D13/N4 - Paris / Normandy
  • May 9 - D14/N5 - Paris / Normandy
  • May 10 - D15/N6 - Paris / Normandy
  • May 11 - D16/N1 - Train to Barcelona (time 6H:27M direct - I doubt that a flight will be much/any faster)
  • May 12 - D17/N2 - Barcelona
  • May 13 - D18/N3 - Barcelona
  • May 14 - D19/N4 - Barcelona
  • May 15 - D20/N1 - Flight to Nice (easyJet or Vueling)
  • May 16 - D21/N2 - Nice
  • May 17 - D22/N3 - Nice
  • May 18 - D23/N4 - Nice
  • May 19 - D24/N5 - Nice
  • May 20 - D25/N1 - Train to Cinque Terre (using Monterosso as the destination, time will be about 6 hours with at least 2 changes)
  • May 21 - D26/N2 - C.T.
  • May 23 - D27/N3 - C.T.
  • May 24 - D28/N1 - Train to Venice (about 5.5 hours via Florence)
  • May 25 - D29/N2 - Venice
  • May 26 - D30/N3 - Venice
  • May 27 - D31/N1 - Train to Florence
  • May 28 - D32/N2 - Florence
  • May 29 - D33/N3 - Florence (day trips to Siena, Lucca, Pisa or elsewhere)
  • May 30 - D34/N4 - Florence
  • May 31 - D35/N1 - Train to Naples / Sorrento
  • Jun. 1 - D36/N2 - N / S
  • Jun. 2 - D37/N3 - N / S
  • Jun. 3 - D38/N4 - N / S
  • Jun. 4 - D39/N5 - N / S
  • Jun. 5 - D40/N6 - N / S
  • Jun. 6 - D41/N1 - Flight to Athens (easyJet or Alitalia possible but I'd have to check further)
  • Jun. 7 - D42/N2 - Athens / Naxos
  • Jun. 8 - D43/N3 - A / N
  • Jun. 9 - D44/N4 - A / N
  • Jun. 10 - D45/N5 - A / N
  • Jun. 11 - D46/N6 - A / N
  • Jun. 12 - D47/N7 - A / N
  • Jun. 13 - D48/N1 - Flight to Amsterdam (haven't checked the options but probably few direct flights and more with a short layover)
  • Jun. 14 - D49/N2 - Amsterdam
  • Jun. 15 - D50/N3 - Amsterdam
  • Jun. 16 - D51/N1 - Train to Berlin (about 5.5H, very easy trip)
  • Jun. 17 - D52/N2 - Berlin
  • Jun. 18 - D53/N3 - Berlin
  • Jun. 19 - D54/N4 - Berlin
  • Jun. 20 -D55/N1 - Train to Prague (~4.5H, very pleasant trip)
  • Jun. 21 - D56/N2 - Prague
  • Jun. 22 - D57/N3 - Prague
  • Jun. 23 - D58/N4 - Prague
  • Jun 24 - D59/N1 - Train to Krakow (shortest trip is about 5H:49M with 1 change)
  • Jun. 25 - D60/N2 - Krakow
  • Jun. 26 - D61/N3 - Krakow
  • Jun. 27 - D62/N1 - Train to Budapest (direct night train, but ~7H Bus trip would be the cheapest)
  • Jun. 28 - D63/N2 - Budapest
  • Jun. 29 - D64/N3 - Budapest
  • Jun. 30 - D65/N1 - Train to Vienna (2-3 hours direct)
  • Jul. 1 - D66/N2 - Vienna
  • Jul. 2 - D67/N3 - Vienna
  • Jul. 3 - D68/N4 - Vienna
  • Jul. 4 - Flight home

There are 3 days not allocated so you can expand your time in any of the places. There are many ways to arrange your Itinerary, and this is only one suggestion. Hopefully I didn't make any glaring mistakes. The transportation links still need fine tuning. Be sure you're aware of which stations you're using in each city, as most cities have multiple rail stations.

For your stay in the C.T., I'd suggest Monterosso as it's the largest town and has the best choice of lodgings and the best beaches.

Good luck with your planning.

Posted by
32212 posts

One final comment....

You can use the extra 3 days in Reykjavik or spend more time in Europe and fly home from Europe. Which airline are you planning to use from Vancovuer TO Europe? You could consider Air Canada as they have good flight connections from Vienna to Vancouver - Austrian Air to LHR and then a direct flight from there to Vancouver. I travelled that route in September and it's very easy.

Posted by
17953 posts

Ken, excellent plan. Ryan air had direct flights from Budapest to Krakow a few years back. Wish they would do it again. The nearly 12 hours getting to Krakow and back is frustrating.

Posted by
23 posts

Wow @Ken thanks so much for the detailed and thoughtful reply. I need to be in Paris for June 10 for the football game, however I am going to use a lot of your plan to help shape my travels. I am very grateful!!!! Thank you

@James E. At any point am I able to have a martini, shaken not stirred?

Posted by
32212 posts

One further thought.....

On my last trip to the islands, I used one of the Greek travel agencies recommended on Matt Barrett's excellent Greece Travel website and they did a superb job of booking hotels, transfers, ferries, etc. (however I booked flights on my own). Their representative met me in person at about 07:00 on a Sunday morning at the Piraeus docks to give me all the documentation. I thought their service was exceptional.

Posted by
17953 posts