Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Suggestions

I am planning a trip to Europe in mid/late March of this year with a friend. We are both 22 years old and some things that interest us are doing active/adventurous things, visitng breweries, cultural experiences. I would like some recommendations of where to go/what to do. So far, I plan on going to London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Prague, and Munich in 2 and 1/2 weeks. I know many of you may think this is not enough time; if you feel this way please let me know why. Otherwise, any suggestions of cities, routes, activities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Posted by
1568 posts

Sounds fine............except I would leave London for another trip. Dress warm and take umbrella and rain gear.

Posted by
787 posts

If you're interested in doing active and adventurous things, then you should look beyond and outside the cities you named. It's difficult to be active or adventurous in a city, unless by "active" you mean you're ok with lots of walking and by "adventurous" you mean experiencing new cultures generally. In March, you could go skiing in France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovakia, Slovenia and so on. At that time of year, probably other active or adventurous things are more difficult (biking, hiking, sky-diving, trekking, canoeing, kayaking, caving, etc.). If you actually want to visit those specific cities, then decide whether an average of 3 1/2 days in each of those cities is enough time in those cities, based on what you want to do in each location. It wouldn't necessarily be for me, but I love history and all kind of museums, in addition to lots of wandering around and people-watching. And why Brussels; it doesn't have quite the cache of the other cities you mentioned. As a rule of thumb, assume that every time you change locations, you use up 1/2 day doing so. Packing your gear, getting to the train station (airport in the case of London), waiting for the train, taking the train, getting to your lodging at the other end, checking in. Use a railway website to get a general feel for the travel times between the cities. We're going to Amsterdam and Brussels next month, so I can tell you that the train between those cities takes 2:49 hours (that's just the travel time).

Posted by
263 posts

Go to Brugge instead of Brussels - take a 4 hour bike tour (PinkBear is great) and then tour the De Halve Maan (the half moon) brewery and enjoy some Belgian fries with mayonnaise. You might be able to do these sorts of things in Brussels too, but I can vouch for Brugge. You can ride bikes in Amsterdam for sure. There's also the Heineken experience there. Go to the Swiss Alps and hike. Go to the Cinque Terra and hike. Munich (Munchen) should offer plenty of beer halls and there are great outdoor activities within easy strking distance.

Posted by
1986 posts

For the ultimate gotcha, you can go surfing in the English Garden in Munich

Posted by
32212 posts

Camden, to begin with, it would help to know whether you've been to Europe before? If not, I'd highly recommend pre-reading the Guidebook "Europe Through The Back Door" before you get too far in your planning. After that use the country-specific Guidebooks to plan sights to see in each city. ¶ IMHO, it would be possible to visit the places you listed in a time frame of about 17-days. Keep in mind that you'll lose the first day in flight times and time zone changes (you'll arrive the day AFTER you departed the US) and the last day will be spent on the flight home. I'd suggest using open-jaw flights for best efficiency (inbound London, outbound Munich). ¶ I agree with the previous suggestion to substitute Bruges for Brussels. You'll probably have to transit through Brussels. ¶ As far as "routes", the one you listed would probably work well, however the trip from Amsterdam to Prague is going to be LONG via rail so you might consider using a budget airline. EasyJet has AMS/PRG flights, and using a 1.5H flight is much preferred to a 10H:24M (minimum) train ride IMHO! However, as with all the Euro airlines, be sure to PACK LIGHT! ¶ With such a short time frame, you won't have time for a lot of "active/adventurous things, visitng breweries, cultural experiences", but the trip will be a good introduction to Europe and a good basis on which to plan future trips. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
1976 posts

What's your itinerary? Five cities in 2.5 weeks leaves you only 2 or 3 days in each city (and country). I might save Prague and Munich for a future trip, so that you can really maximize your time in a smaller area.