Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help please,

I am planning a trip for 14 -15 days in May. There will be 2 couples. Our thought is to fly into Zurhich spend a day there ( from things I've read I don't thing I want to spend much time there). From there we want to go to the apps specifically gimmelwald from 3 days, followed by the French Rivera ( the thought is staying a nice and taking day trips from there to cassis etc. also considering birdhouse country and will end up and fly out of Barcelona.

We like off the beaten path things, not afraid of some hiking and love local culture and would like to stay at some bed and breakfast.

I would love any guidance, recommendations on accomadtions, transportation, places to eat ect

Posted by
19 posts

Lol. You are probably right! But would love some suggestions. It is so helpful for me to see what others have done

Posted by
799 posts

You would be covering quite a bit of geography for 14-15 days. It sounds like you do not already have flights - is this a trip planned for 2016?

If you're planning to stay in Gimmelwald for three days, do plan to hike. Check first, however, to see how much is open in Gimmelwald at that time; they may still have plenty of snow there in May.

How are you planning to get around? Rental car, train or flying? I'm not familiar with a lot of train routes, so I don't know the easiest way to get from Zurich to Gimmelwald without a car (except you take a cablecar up to Gimmelwald itself; I think we parked our car in Murren? Or lower down?), and then from Gimmelwald to Nice. From Nice to Barcelona, flying is probably your best option; you can take the train, but it takes about 8-9 hours, per the French rail site.

Posted by
799 posts

You would be covering quite a bit of geography for 14-15 days. It sounds like you do not already have flights - is this a trip planned for 2016?

If you're planning to stay in Gimmelwald for three days, do plan to hike. Check first, however, to see how much is open in Gimmelwald at that time; they may still have plenty of snow there in May.

How are you planning to get around? Rental car, train or flying? I'm not familiar with a lot of train routes, so I don't know the easiest way to get from Zurich to Gimmelwald without a car (except you take a cablecar up to Gimmelwald itself; I think we parked our car in Murren? Or lower down?), and then from Gimmelwald to Nice. From Nice to Barcelona, flying is probably your best option; you can take the train, but it takes about 8-9 hours, per the French rail site.

Posted by
33452 posts

considering birdhouse country

What do you mean by that?

What part of May? If early, it is likely that the Berner Oberland may be less happy making than other times of the year, particularly if you want to walk or hike.

If late in May, you may run into a lot of people in the French Riviera because of the Monaco Grand Prix which turns the whole area a bit crazy.

Is this trip this year? Perhaps next year?

Posted by
25 posts

I'm planning a trip to Cassis in April 2016 and doing day trips from there. I've been looking at VRBO.com for places to stay in the area. We will have a car to day trips.

Posted by
33452 posts

Jana, are you the same person as jkrieg?