Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

We will be in Europe the last week of October and first week of November. Would like to visit 3 cities and are considering Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Prague and Zurich. We would fly into 1 city, take train to next 2 and then fly out of city 3. We like history and museums, but most of all just walking around, sitting in a cafe, and absorbing local ambiance. Understand that the weather may be a bit cool and rainy, but assume there is plenty to do regardless of weather. This will be our first visit to any of these cities so any advice on "which 3" and how much time to spend would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
7646 posts

Your posting is very general to determine exactly which cities would be best, but I would select Munich, Vienna & Prague. I would also add a couple of days in Salzburg since it's on the route and a beautiful smaller city. Stay in the old center and enjoy the ambiance, music history, and there's some nice museums - very walkable area. We returned to Salzburg last year and really loved our time there. We like to stay in the larger cities at least 3 days. If you're going to be there two weeks, you could do something similar to:

Munich - 3 days
2-hour train
Salzburg - 3 days Day trip into the Austrian Alps
2.5 hour train
Vienna - 3 days
4-hour train
Prague - 3 days

Posted by
20945 posts

I'd go with Berlin-Prague-Vienna. They are easily connected by train, and each with particular advantages. Zurich is very expensive and not too exciting. Munich gets cut because there are 3 more interesting cities in the list.

Posted by
15768 posts

Much as it pains me to say it, I'd go with Berlin-Prague-Vienna and skip Budapest, which isn't on your list but is well worth a visit. Munich didn't impress me nearly as much as the others, and since I'm told that Zurich is not a great tourist destination, I haven't been.

Since the weather isn't likely to change considerably in a two-week span, and is unpredictable anyway, I don't think that would influence where to start. Vienna feels more "laid back" than Berlin (to me), so I'd start there, with 4 nights. Many stop for a night in Český Krumlov on the way to Prague for 3-4 nights. Dresden is on the way to Berlin. If there's luggage storage at the train station (if someone can confirm that) you could spend a full day and take an evening train to Berlin, for a minimum of 5 nights.

Posted by
7175 posts

Zurich is the first contestant voted out of the house.

For me it's a toss up to choose either Berlin or Munich to go with Vienna and Prague.

However, I'd chuck in a few days for Salzburg with Munich, or Dresden with Berlin.

Posted by
868 posts

How about:

Berlin
Dresden
Prague

Berlin is a modern metropolis: young, buzzling, ever-changing, and huge. On a day trip you can see the parks and gardens of Potsdam.
Dresden offers unique museums and is a great base for day trips. Vineyards and wine villages, mountains, castles and fortresses, perfectly preserved small towns, and Germanys Christmas country (with a village with nothing but Christmas shops).
Prague is the quintessential, and probably the most beautiful Central European city.

This itinerary would offer a bit of everything at a leisurely pace. Big cities and small towns, baroque gardens and medieval castles, wine and beer, beautiful nature... you could even spend some days to hike in one of Europes best hiking regions.

Posted by
11613 posts

Berlin, Prague, Vienna, with a couple of daytrips to nearby places, depending on what you want to see.