Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Hello All. My husband is doing a European delivery for his new car at the end of August/beginning of September. I am tagging along and we will be driving through Italy on whatever itinerary I can put together. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to see, but the more research I do, the more "can't miss" towns I find! I would appreciate any input. Here is what I know: Flying into Munich and arriving Friday mid-morning to pick up car and spend Night #1. We will leave early Saturday morning and drive to Venice (about 6.5 hours), where we will spend nights #2 and #3. We will fly out of Rome to return home on Day #10. Nights #4 thru #9 are all up in the air. Other than Venice, I am more interested in the countryside than the big cities. We saw Rome, Naples, Florence and Pompeii previously while on a cruise. Thank you so much!

Posted by
1589 posts

Andrea, I meant to imply renting- doubt that they want to take the new BMW or Mercedes through these Italian roads!

Posted by
1589 posts

How much of Rome, Naples, Florence & Pompeii did you "see" while cruising? A day trip for each? If you were so inclined, days 4-9 could be spent seeing much more that Florence & Rome have to offer. If the countryside is your choice, rent a car for days 4-9 and tour around Tuscany. Have you been to Lucca, the CT region or Siena? All are well worth a visit. You should also move this post over to the Boot section. Have a great trip!

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you! Yes, I know there is much more to see in Rome and Florence, but neither of those places were the part of Italy I fell in love with and hoped to someday return :)

Posted by
10333 posts

"How much of Rome, Naples, Florence & Pompeii did you "see" while cruising? A day trip for each? If you were so inclined, days 4-9 could be spent seeing much more that Florence & Rome have to offer. If the countryside is your choice, rent a car for days 4-9 and tour around Tuscany. Have you been to Lucca, the CT region or Siena? All are well worth a visit." Since you are picking up your new vehicle in Munich, you obviously have your transportation covered. I would avoid cities since you will have a car. I would spend the free nights in Tuscany and Umbria. You could split your nights between a couple of places. Maybe spend some time in northern Tuscany, then move to southern Tuscany. You might want to spend a couple of nights in the Cinque Terre or somewhere else on the coast if you would like to experience some beach time. I can recommend a fantastic Agriturismo in Tuscany, just outside of Siena, that is a good base for day trips. Private message me if you are interested.

Posted by
360 posts

I just returned from a trip where we started in Venice and made our way down to Rome over the course of 16 days. Our favorite place was Tuscany (by far) as it's quieter and more rural (you just run into crowds in the hill towns over the weekend but nothing like Florence or Rome). We stayed at an agriturismo near Pienza, which was perfect, because it was somewhat central to driving out to other hill towns nearby. We also really enjoyed the Cinque Terre for a few days and stayed in Monterosso. Both of these locations offered much quieter alternatives to the hustle and bustle of Florence and Rome.

Posted by
77 posts

I would also include the Amalfi Coast since you have a car. My husband and I, before kids, rented a car for two weeks and traveled to the Lake Como area, the Cinque Terre (fabulous 15 years ago, not sure today after the flooding problems), Tuscany and Umbria, and Positano. We had a ball and were very relaxed with the traveling. We actually preferred much of Umbria as it was so less traveled (and therefore less crowded and cheaper!). We loved the towns Castellina in Chianti, Rodda in Chianti, Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Deruta (for ceramics), Gubbio, and Perugia (mix of Tuscany and Umbria). Just drive around and stop in the little towns---so fun and very relaxing. Have a ball!

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Ladydee. If you will have the car all of your days in Italy, I recommend : choose one place for your overnight accommodation, in Tuscany. It could be an agriturismo place. Be at that place nights # 4, 5, 6 ,7 ,8. That gives you four whole days in Tuscany. Day 9 - go to Rome, sleep at Rome - night # 9.