Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help: Venice, Como, Switzerland, Salzburg, Munich

I live in San Francisco with my husband and 2 boys (6 & 8) and we are considering flying to Venice, possibly going to Lake Como and/or Dolomites, then Switzerland (Bernice Oberland, Lucern, other places) then Salzberg, Hallstatt, Munich. We have 17 days. Can you recommend an itinerary? I am also not sure of train vs. car or a combination. Thanks!

Best,
Suzanne

Posted by
8299 posts

We've traveled that region extensively, and it's best if traveled by car. With time allotted, I would suggest you limit your trip to Austria, Bavaria and Northern Italy. KLM has a non-stop flight from San Francisco into Amsterdam. I would suggest transferring planes there for a flight into Munich.
Stay in Munich at least 4 days before picking up a rental car and driving east to Salzburg for 2 nights. Then go over to Hallstadt for a 1 night stay.
You don't say when your trip is planned, but I assume it's in Summer. I would drive south into Tirol and spend the night around Zell-am-See. Then drive over the incredibly beautiful Grossglockner High Alpine Highway--2nd highest point in Europe. Spend 1 night around Lienz, Austria before dropping south into Italy and the Dolomites. It's an easy drive into Venice from there. We usually stay 3 nights in Venice.
The drive from Venice up to Innsbruck thru the Brenner Pass is very easy, and the scenery is incredible. I would suggest spending the balance of your time around Innsbruck and Tirol until it's time for you to fly home from Munich.
Many travelers love the scenery of Swiss Alps, however I've found the Austrian Alps to be just about as beautiful and Tirol is cheaper and easier to travel through. You can also be back at the Munich Airport in about 2 hours. Have a great trip.

Posted by
7175 posts

Venice - 3 nts
Dolomites - 2 nts (perhaps the only place I would suggest a car)
Salzburg + Hallstatt - 2 nts
Munich - 3 nts
Luzern - 2 nts
Berner Oberland - 2 nts
Lake Como - 2 nts
Milan - 1 nt

Alternatively, depart from Zurich Airport after your time in Berner Oberland, re allocating the last 3 nights.

Posted by
74 posts

David,

Thanks very much. We have air miles and have flights on hold for a few days flying into Venice and out of Munich. The trip is June 3rd- June 21st. I love your suggestions but I'd love to see Lake Como and some of Switzerland too. I do realize Como is out of the way though. I've been to Innsbruck myself so I'd like to go to another spot if possible. I really appreciate all of your knowledge.

Best,
Suzanne

Posted by
32320 posts

Suzanne,

That's a bit of a challenging Itinerary, but it should be possible to fit-in most of your wish list. Perhaps something like this would work.....

• Flight inbound Venice
  • Train from Venice to Varenna (Lago di Como) - one of the shortest travel times is 4H:33M, with one change at Milano Centrale.
  • Train from Varenna to Lucerne (the best option looks to be a departure from Varenna at 08:37, arriving Milan at 09:40 - from there connect to a departure from Milan at 10:25, arriving Lucerne at 14:20, one change at Arth-Goldau).
  • Train from Lucerne to Berner Oberland (travel time will be 1H:50M to Interlaken Ost, another 20 minutes to Lauterbrunnen and after that the time will depend on which town you have chosen to stay in - Lauterbrunnen is the most central to both sides of the valley and also the transportation hub).
  • Train from Berner Oberland to Munich (this will be a longer travel day - one of the shortest trips is a departure from Interlaken Ost at 08:00, arriving Munich at 15:11, one change at Karlsruhe).
  • From Munich you can easily travel to Salzburg for a few days and make a day trip to Hallstatt or spend a night or two there.

Keep in mind rail schedules can change so this is just a guideline.

There are lots of ways this could be arranged, and this is only one suggestion. While 17 days is a good time frame, you probably won't be able to see everything on your list unless you want to spend a lot of time looking at the sights through the windows of a train. Also, with two young children I'd suggest a more relaxed Itinerary, where you can enjoy the places you've come to see.

I'd suggest using fast trains wherever possible, as that will not only be faster and more efficient, but will avoid the usual issues of I.D.P.'s, ZTL's (limited traffic areas - high fines), high fuel costs, parking, insurance, tolls, etc. No car can travel at 300 km/h, which is the speed of some of the fast trains.

Although you've been to Innsbruck, you might find it helpful to read Europe Through The Back Door prior to the trip. After that use the country or city-specific guidebooks to plan hotels, sightseeing and other details.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
74 posts

Thanks Ken! This is really helpful. Last summer was our first trip to Europe with the kids. My husband and I have traveled alone and together in Europe. Last summer we went to France and Spain and it was a more straight forward trip so this is great info. I think we will try to have a more relaxed itinerary as you suggested. Let me study this and see what I can put together. Thanks again!
Best,
Suzanne

Posted by
303 posts

For your link from the Como area into Switzerland, have you considered the Bernina Express train? We took our three boys on this amazing, Unesco Heritage ride two years ago. Super easy. We arrived from Chicago in Florence, stayed four days and trained from Florence to Varenna, (I am sure you can train from Venice to Como) and stayed in Varenna for two nights, overlooking Lake Como, then took the train from Varenna to Tirano (I think it was about 90 min but check that) and boarded the train. We do not drive in Europe, trains are so easy and in Switzerland and the Como area, you do not want to miss a minute of that view.

The Bernina Express (Google a video) winds through the Alps and there are all kinds of cool arched bridges and switchbacks. Our boys STILL talk about it. It was about a half day trip. We got off the train in Chur, outside of Zurich and walked into the old town We stayed in Chur overnight and took a cable car up up up into the Alps for a short walk (paved path, lots of folks up there). From Chur, back on the train to Zurich (freaky expensive when you are feeding three boys), so we only stayed two days then home to Chicago.

The only down side of the whole trip was the hotel in Varenna, Hotel Olivedo, run by the rudest woman - great view, awful stay.

Happy Travels!!

I have included links, below for the train and our hotel in Chur.

https://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/bernina-express

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188077-d609559-Reviews-Bernina_Express-Swiss_Alps.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188089-d324290-Reviews-Zunfthaus_zur_Rebleuten-Chur_Canton_of_Graubunden_Swiss_Alps.html