Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help!

Hi,

This is what we have planned for our honeymoon for our first time in Europe! We are both adventurous, foodies, enjoy beach life, nature, etc. We are debating leaving CT off since we be there for only two full days and taking a train from Venice to CT then leaving from there to Rome. Is this worth it?

We are open to any ideas/suggestions of new cities and any changes to our itinerary. Sardinia will be the last leg of our trip with much needed relaxation.

We can use any tips for getting to point A to point B as well or any advise that you think would be useful!

Appreciate your help!!

Here is our itinerary: (27th is a travel day)

28-Jun Land in Paris

29-Jun Paris

30-Jun Paris

1-Jul Paris

2-Jul Travel to Switzerland

3-Jul Switzerland

4-Jul Switzerland

5-Jul Switzerland

6-Jul Travel to Venice

7-Jul Venice

8-Jul Travel to Cinque Terre

9-Jul Cinque Terre

10-Jul Cinque Terre

11-Jul Travel to Rome

12-Jul Rome

13-Jul Rome

14-Jul Travel to Sardinia

15-Jul Sardinia

16-Jul Sardinia

17-Jul Sardinia

18-Jul Sardinia

19-Jul Sardinia

20-Jul Sardinia

Posted by
6113 posts

I find the whole trip to be rushed up to Sardinia, particularly as it is your honeymoon and you deserve more relaxation time!

The one place that you are really short changing is Venice and a romantic city at that! You are only getting one day there!

I would drop CT and add at least a night onto Venice and the rest onto Rome. CT will be too busy at that time of year to enjoy it.

Posted by
4825 posts

You don't say where in Switzerland you want to visit. If you let us know, we might be able to offer tips.

One day in Venice is definitely not enough. And since you'll likely get your fill of beaches, hills and walking/hiking in Sardinia, I'd scratch CT and give the extra days to Venice and Rome. If you can add more time, extra days in Paris would be good, too.

Travel from place to place is easily done by train (except Sardinia, of course). Read Ricks tips on train travel, and buy your tickets in advance for discounted prices. But read up on the restrictions that come with those discounts. Where are you flying home from?

Posted by
1321 posts

I'd also say cut CT and add those days to Paris & Rome & Venice (of those three Paris is my favorite). Get into Veneto away from Venice after a day there lots to explore in that region. Happy Honeymoon!

Posted by
4800 posts

Congratulations, may you love long and prosper. In general it seems a bit too rushed -- especially for your honeymoon. After the stress and rush, rush pace of most weddings you will probably want (and / or need) a more relaxed trip. Specifically, consider dropping the Cinque Terra and adding those days to Venice. Venice is a truly enchanting and unique city and deserves much more time than you've allotted. The problem with the number of moves you have planned is that the time lost getting from Place A to Place B is almost always greater than anticipated. It's not just the travel time . It's also the time lost packing up, checking out, getting to the train station, getting to the new hotel, checking in, unpacking, and etc. This may well be a case where less is more. You want wonderful memories of people, places, food, good wine, and such. Not just memories of train stations and taxi rides. I really don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer and rain on your parade, just offering food for thought.

Posted by
4132 posts

I think your fast-paced trip threatens to go off the rails once you hit Italy. I do not think you will have a very good time during that stretch, until you get to Sardinia.

This feels like a wish list in the early stages of planning. Good place to start. Now you need to whittle it down to the essentials.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello sierra.diller. I think your plans for being at Europe looks good. But I think riding in trains from Venice to a Cinque Terre village in Italy is not a good idea. That would be a long trip in trains. I suggest, delete the Cinque Terre from this trip. The Cinque Terre is at the Mediterranean Sea coast, but you can see the Mediterranean Sea when you will be at Sardinia. Instead of going to the Cinque Terre, I suggest being at Switzerland more days.

Posted by
11155 posts

I'd scratch CT and give the extra days to Venice and Rome.

I vote with CJean.

Posted by
3992 posts

Everything is rushed except Sardinia. You give 3 days in Paris, 2 days in Rome, 3 days in the entire country of Switzerland, and 6 days in Sardinia. What are the goals of your trip??