Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

Hi all,

Looking to get some advice on itinerary options. We have June 17- July 6th. I will warn you ahead of time that it will probably look a bit aggressive. Feel free to speak your honest truth. I backpacked through Europe 3 years ago for 26 days and we (my sister and I) did: Dublin, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Cinque Terre, Vienna, Salzburg, Interlaken and Paris. It was aggressive, but we had zero regrets.This summer I will be traveling with my married wife (celebrating our one-way anniversary on June 21st! :) ) She has yet to go to Europe, thus, the challenge is including both places that she wants to see that I already have, and new place for me. Anyways, here are a few of the options we came up with.

1)(Very aggressive) London --> Barcelona --> Rome --> Florence --> Cinque Terre --> Venice --> Salzburg (have a close friend here) --> Lauterbrunnen --> Paris

2) London --> Madrid --> San Sebastian (have a friend here) --> Barcelona --> Rome --> Salzburg --> Lauterbrunnen --> Paris

3) London --> Rome --> Florence --> Cinque Terre --> Venice --> Salzburg --> Lauterbrunnen --> Paris

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are open to anything. Thanks!

Posted by
656 posts

I would agree this is pretty aggressive. You are giving yourself approximately a day of travel, then one day in city, then a day of travel, another day seeing a city and so on. If this is your wife's first trip to Europe I would scale down to maybe 3 location tops and see them thouroghly so she can appreciate Europe the way it is meant to be. At least on your 26 day trip you had about 2 full days in a city prior to a travel day.
Just my two cents. I'm sure others will have helpful suggestions. Have a great trip no matter what you decide!

Posted by
16893 posts

I assume you have already purchased plane tickets into London and home from Paris. Of your three drafts, I prefer number 3, which has shorter travel distances and therefore doesn't require flying any leg other than London-Rome. Most of them are still full travel days, however.

Next thing I would cut would be Salzburg, eliminating one travel day and one sightseeing destination (that you have already been to). That still leaves a very fast trip, if you have 19 or 20 nights, such as

• London 3 n
  • Rome 3 n
  • Cinque Terre 2 n
  • Florence 2 n
  • Venice 3 n
  • Lauterbrunnen 2 or 3 n
  • Paris 3 or 4 n
Posted by
8141 posts

You have not said what your source of transportation will be, but I assume you'll be mixing trains and a budget air carrier within Europe. Your wife with the above itineraries will find her trip to be a big blur, and you'd have a much better trip if you traveled slower.

Remember that your first day and last day of your trip are wasted days. Every time you move, you'll also lose a day.

You might want to go on GoogleMaps or Mapquest and plot your cities from place to place. You'll find that Western Europe is larger than you realize, especially since you're wanting to visit Spain and Italy. The major cities you want to visit are all great cities--worthy of 4 nights.

I prefer to travel in straight lines--to cities that compliment each other and are easy to get between. And I often have to skip some of the smaller locations to see the major cities.

I suggest going to London (4 nights) and then taking the Eurostar fast train down to Paris (2 1/2 hrs.) for 4 nights. Then take the new fast train down to Barcelona (6 1/2 hours) for 4 nights. Forget San Sebastian as it's 350 miles away up on the north shore.

Take Vueling Airlines from Barcelona down to Rome for a 4 night stay. Catch a fast train up to Florence (3 nights) and Venice (2 nights). Then take a train over to Cinque Terre for the rest of your time. You can catch EasyJet.com in Pisa for a budget flight back to Paris and your departure.

I'm sorry that you cannot make all your planned cities, but time flies by and you want to properly see the truly great cities planned. Maybe your friends can take a budget air carrier to meet you from their cities.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Alex. I suggest : go to Four destinations. You will be over there a total of 16 whole days.