Please sign in to post.

itinerary advice

Greetings! I've made a lot of changes to my itinerary due to input from my husband, needs of our family of 6, and also from the wise advice on these travel boards. I've tried to increase stays in each place and cut down places to visit. This is what I have so far:

Rome (fly in early am) and stay 3 nights.
Florence 2-3 nights (possibly Milan 1 night)
Murren Switzlerland 2 nights
Lausanne, Switzerland (Lac Leman) 2 nights (family there)
(4 boys spend 2 nights in Paris or somewhere else prior to flying out) while daughter and I fly from Geneva to London (4 nights)

Questions I had:
1)my son really wants to see Lake Como but we're already staying on the banks of Lac Leman in Switzerland for 2 nights with family. Is Lake Como worth adding in there? Our trip is really maxed at 14 days, unfortunately.
2)We are going to Murren from Florence which makes a long trip. Would it make more sense to spend a day and night in Milan to break up that trip or stay in Florence 3 nights and have a long travel day. It's hard for me to wrap my head around carting our luggage everywhere between hotel stays.
3) If we stay 3 days/3 nights in Florence, are there any day trips recommended for the non-museum types in my family (3 teenage boys)
4) Has anyone done Canyoning in Interlaken area? thrill seeking teenagers are eager for adventure.
5) from Geneva area, my daughter and I are heading to London and husband and boys will have two more nights. Would you send them to fly out of Paris? Munich? Zurich?

Thanks for any advice!

Posted by
30 posts

This feels rushed, especially if you’re dragging along a family of six.

Any reason you’re going to Murren? If not, I’d drop it and add another day or two to Florence, maybe another day in Rome. There are also good day and half day trips from Rome (Tivoli, Ostia Antica) and Florence (Siena, Pisa), the first of each a day, the second a half day. I’m not sure you’ll have time for Milan, either — maybe save it for another time, coupled with places like Cinque Terre and the French Riviera. Two days in Paris also seems really skimpy, as there’s loads to do there.

Posted by
11359 posts

When is this trip? Time of year matters a lot. With only 2 nights in Mürren, you risk not even seeing mountains, which is why 3 or more nights is recommended at a minimum. What if the one day you have there is rainy? No canyoning, I’d guess. Plus, it is, as you have noted, a long way from Florence. I would not spend a night in Milan, though; push through and add that night to Mürren.

Como is not worth a detour. You just do not have time. Tell him “next time.”

Not sure.I understand your question 5. Your male component could fly Geneva to Paris but train is an efficient option at a little over 3 hours and no airport transfer once in Paris.

Posted by
1798 posts

strong textIf you're going to be in the Berner Oberland for a short time and want canyoning I'd stay in Grindelwald. There's a crazy canyon swing in the really beautiful narrow gorge right up behind town, and there's a great mountain coasters as well. Murren's great, but it doesn't host similar sorts of adventure activities, and it's a bit of a cul-de-sac, taking significantly longer to get back in there and then back out for a very short visit.

There's a good amount of negative banter about Grindelwald on these message boards, but it is still a gorgeous place surrounded by bulcolic traditional farming land and dramatic imposing peaks. And you can access the incredible Jungfrau Joch just as easily from Grindelwald as any of the surrounding places.

https://grindelwald.swiss/en/summer/see-and-do/activities/adventure-fun/canyon-swing/

Boardwalk runs way back through the same canyon as well.

Maybe you should cut out an extra day to spend in Switzerland, or consolidate Switzerland into just your visit to relatives. It's not really a blow through country, much better to set up camp and then get outside in the mountains.

Have a great time!

Posted by
1798 posts

Travel time Florence to the Berner Oberland isn't too bad, I'm seeing 6 hours to Grindelwald. You can tack on an extra hour to Murren, but either way you're going to be better off getting the trip out of the way in one day. Get it done and dusted instead of lingering in the transition zone.

Posted by
12172 posts

Florence has some great must-see museums. If you're concerned about non-museum types, you might want to shorten your time there. Lodging is expensive and museums, churches are pretty much the theme with a nice old center. So much of the center is filled with tourists, I found it impossible to find good food. IMO tourists zones are incompatible with decent dining. That said my kids were fine with pizza and gelato. My tween/teen boys really liked the crime and punishment museum. To me it's silly/kitschy but they enjoyed it.

The overall trip is quite rushed. Two nights or more each place helps but you're covering a lot of distance on your travel days, which makes travel stressful. I find planning more than four hours of actual travel (whether car, train or plane) on a travel day makes it tough. You still need to get meals, pack, unpack, check in/out, make connections.

When are you going? If it's summer, there might be some somerrodelbahn in the alpine areas. They're a good thrill ride option (some more than others, like ski runs).

Posted by
4469 posts

I would also nix either Murren or Florence. With travel time, it is just too much in too little time.

1) You have time for one lake, that's it.
2) Make sure everyone packs light and can manage their bags. You'll do laundry (or have it sent out) at some point, so you need to allot time for that.
3) see comment above.
4) I don't know about canyoning, but in Murren there is a via ferrata, hang-gliding, all sorts of adventure sports. If you forgo Murren, in Lausanne there is ample opportunity for mountain hikes.
5) Have they checked Geneva flights? If they are going to Paris, train to there may be better.

You've done a great job paring down, but I'm afraid one more place needs to go.