Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice

My wife and I are travelling to Europe this fall. We are flying to Brussels on Oct 11 and returning from Barcelona on December 5th. We have booked a bike/barge that will end in Amsterdam on Oct 22. After that the plan is wide open. Would like to hit major cities and any interesting side trips. Any suggestions are most welcome.
Amsterdam 4 nights
Berlin 4 nights Probably all train travel.
Prague 3/4 nights
Munich/Salzberg 5 nights The Bernina Express train seems very interesting and would like to take it and end up in the Lake como area for 4/5 nights. Train to Venice and not planning on staying in Venice, We have been there.
Venice cruise from Nov 17-24th
Fly/train to Paris for 5 nights
Train to Nice for 3/4 nights (or more nights in Paris and fly/train to Barcelona).
Train to Barcelona for balance and return home.

Thanks

Posted by
20944 posts

To do the Bernina Express from Salzburg, you will probably want to do an overnight in Chur.
Where is the 7 day cruise from Venice going to drop you?

Posted by
8 posts

The cruise starts and end in Venice. Thought this was the best way to see Athens.

Posted by
11636 posts

I like your plan. You will have some longer travel days, but on an extended trip, I think those are very relaxing and give you a chance to read, nap, chat, chill out.

Do stay in Chur the night before you take the Bernina Express. Lovely trip!

Posted by
20944 posts

Looks lovely. Do fly Venice-Paris. Easyjet has flights to Orly for 28 EUR. They also fly to CDG.

Posted by
7175 posts

Dresden, Vienna, Innsbruck are other possibilities along your route.
Vicenza in the Veneto is only 35mins from Venice by train in order to join your cruise. From here you can also visit Verona and Padova.
What a wonderful trip. Enjoy.

Posted by
8075 posts

Interesting choices. We have been to all the places you are visiting. Also, dear wife and I are avid cyclists, but hate biking in cool or cold weather. It will be chilly in the Low Countries in October, take warm clothes.

I love Berlin, but what are you doing for four days?

Also, you could probably cut a day from Prague. We did a great river cruise from Lyon to Arles and that was great. The south of France that time of the year will be cool for sure. Barcelona is good, but three days there is enough.

My general observation is that your itinerary is spread over too wide an area. I don't know where you have been in Europe, but if you minimized travel (save time) you will enjoy the trip more. You will probably be back.

Posted by
8 posts

The bike/barge trip is the last one of the year. I know it will be chilly but hopefully not too bad. The travel back to Paris seems like a lot of travel but we will fly. I have been to Paris but my wife has not. I may try to talk her into the Amalfi coast which should definitely be warmer. A nephew suggested that four nights in Berlin would be appropriate but we will see.

Thanks for the input.

Posted by
7175 posts

Oct 22 Amsterdam
Oct 26 Berlin
Oct 30 Prague
Nov 2 Salzburg
Nov 5 Munich
Nov 8 Innsbruck
Nov 10 Chur
Nov 11 Bernina Express to Lake Como
Nov 14 Veneto (Vicenza or Padova)
Nov 17 Cruise from Venice
Nov 24 Fly to Paris
Nov 29 Nice
Dec 2 Barcelona
Dec 5 Depart Barcelona

Posted by
15768 posts

I haven't been to Nice, no idea what you do there or what it's like at the end of November. If you haven't been to Barcelona, I recommend no less that 3 full days. Unless there's something special about Nice, I'd just take the TGV from Paris to Barcelona, possibly adding 1-2 nights to Paris, but 5-6 full days in Barcelona is not too many.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the help. Is it worth the effort to take the Bernina Express to Venice or would the Brenner Pass route suffice? The former would involve an overnight which is doable but would probably avoid if both routes are scenic.

Posted by
20944 posts

Are you thinking of skipping the Lake Como stop? The night trains from Munich and Salzburg don't go over the Brenner Pass anymore, but through Tarvisio and Udine.

Posted by
11636 posts

Is it worth the effort to take the Bernina Express to Venice or would the Brenner Pass route suffice?

The Bernina Express is not an efficient route to Venice. It ends at Tirano and that is a long way from Venice. You originally said you intended to go to Lago di Como, which is possible from Tirano after arriving from Chur on the Bernina Express.

Posted by
14765 posts

Hi,

The 5 nights in Paris I would do one day/side trip to Fontainebleau (take the train from Gare de Lyon) or Versailles. I prefer Fontainebleau and its Napoleon connection. Also, from Berlin do the day trip r/t to Potsdam or choose another cultural town...Weimar, Halle, Leipzig.