Please sign in to post.

Italy

Next year I plan to go to Italy for 7 days. Could you plan the ideal trip for Italy including Tuscany and B&B's to stay at in 7 days?

Posted by
1317 posts

Sure, if you buy my ticket. :-)

All kidding aside, everyone has their own version of an ideal trip to Italy or anywhere in this world. You will do much better if you plan the trip yourself, addressing YOUR interests and tastes. Start by getting a copy of Rick Steves' Italy guide (or Florence & Tuscany guide) from the library and see what appeals. It also includes recommendations for lodgings, many of which are B&Bs.

Once you have a rough idea, look at sites like Tripadvisor for hotel reviews especially, and visit the Italy section of this Helpline for other ideas. If you have a question or get confused, the Helpline posters are more than willing to try to help you out, but please remember we are all simply volunteers who love Europe and sharing our knowledge about it.

If you really don't feel comfortable or lack the time to plan your own trip, either get a travel agent to help you or consider a tour, such as the ones done by Rick Steves' company. Since you expressed an interest in Tuscany and specified 7 days, I would suggest the Florence in 7 days trip which includes a daytrip out to another town in Tuscany or, if you can extend your trip a bit, the 10 day Rome, Florence, Venice tour for the "big 3" taste of Italy. There are also other companies which specialize more in touring the various towns of the Tuscan region, if that is your main focus, but I'm not familiar with them.

Posted by
1449 posts

Linda, you seem to have followed the wrong link on this site. You have confused the discussion forum with this part of the Rick Steve's website: http://www.ricksteves.com/about/consulting.htm

$75 for the 1st half hour, $25 each additional 15 minutes. I'm sure they'll be glad to assist you.

Posted by
2193 posts

In addition to the previous recommendations, you may wish to visit your local library branch and borrow Rick’s DVDs on Italy. Another option is to purchase them from this website, www.amazon.com, or at Barnes and Noble. One covers the cities and another covers the countryside. Since you have a year to plan, you’ll have plenty of time to see the places you’re considering. Seven days isn’t a lot of time, so I like the idea of sticking with Florence and Tuscany if that’s the region you’re thinking about. Check out the guidebook that covers this area, and start planning.

The allotted length of time for visiting anyplace seems to generate much debate (even mean-spirited, angry comments for some bizarre reason) on this forum, but seven full days is plenty of time to visit Florence, and you may even be able to fit in a real quick side-trip or two. In some cases, five full days might allow you to fully experience a given city…it depends on the place. A two-week visit is ideal, but don’t be discouraged if you only have seven full days. Just focus on a smaller piece of geography, such as Florence.

AKF is spot on!

Posted by
11507 posts

Personally I would not bother to go to Italy for only 7 days ,, as you are really only getting 5 days,, (( arrival and departure days don't really count) and you are flying from west coast , which means jet lag for first two days,, and travel fatique at least on first day.. Plus you want to travel around,, not just stay put in one place??( At least consider one destination, moving around takes time and money,, buts it mostly the time you would be concerned about I guess)

I don't know what it is with some employers,, but I really think you should be allowed a minimum of 10 days for a Europeon vacation!!! Here( Canada), 2 weeks is standard vacation for first to 5th year employees,, even at McDonalds,, and many employers give more.. ( not all paid )

so, first job is make trip at least 10 days long!

Posted by
32322 posts

Linda,

I have to agree with the others. A trip to Italy for only seven days (which as Pat pointed out will only be about five days+) will not allow you to see much of Tuscany.

Especially as you're coming from the west coast, you'll lose the first day in flight times and time zone changes. Due to jet lag, you won't really be up to touring speed for a day or two after you arrive. I also travel from the west coast, so know what the day of arrival in Europe feels like! I'm in France at the moment, so went through the "jet lag experience" about 10 days ago.

I agree with the previous post that suggested the RS Venice/Florence/Rome tour would be a good option. If you could get more time, that would be an ideal solution.

If you'd rather use self guided travel, you might want to check Rick's "Italy 2009" book for information and planning tips. Also, Rick hosts Travel Festivals at least once a year (often in the spring), and if you could get up to Seattle for one of those you'd be able to get an enormous amount of information that would help you in your planning.

Above all, it would really help if you could get some more vacation time!

Cheers!

Posted by
191 posts

Hi Linda,

To disagree with others here, 5 full days in Italy is better (in my mind at least) than zero days in Italy. Just bear in mind that you shouldn't push yourself too much or you won't enjoy it and by no means will you see everything.

Absolutely, if you can make it 10+ days, it's better, but to say don't bother otherwise is, in my opinion, a little harsh.

Happy travels.

Posted by
3580 posts

If I had a week in Italy I would settle into a hotel or apartment in Florence, enjoy that city, and make day trips by bus or train to other places. Possible daytrips: Lucca, Pisa, Rome, Venice, Verona, Siena.....

Posted by
8293 posts

You plan to take the "ideal trip" to Italy NEXT YEAR ! Plenty of time to plan the trip yourself and how the heck do we know what you consider the "ideal trip" ? Sorry, but I consider this the height of intellectual laziness. Exactly what have you done other than decide that Italy is where you want to go?