Please sign in to post.

Isle of Man

I have a friend interested in traveling to the Isle of Man this summer. She is looking to depart from Dublin and possibly taking the ferry, at least one way. Any thoughts on traveling by ferry versus flying? Also, this will be her first trip across the pond and I suggested that, from my experience, trying to cram everything in because of the belief that you'll never go back, might not be the right way to look at the trip. I told her just staying in Dublin and experiencing that, and then onto Isle of Man for an extended stay, since that is where they really want to go, could be just enough. Any thoughts on that as well as tips for visiting the Isle of Man would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2501 posts

Only one ferry per week from Dublin to IOM so that may affect the decision.

Posted by
2813 posts

Could also investigate departing from Belfast.
With R/T flights (50 mins.) on Aer Lingus costing less than $150 that's probably the way to go.

Posted by
4573 posts

MMmmm. Brexit. If arriving in Dublin from US, and then having to (potentially) cross a border to Belfast, perhaps the KISS principal would work best? At least until we know how they are going to handle that border. Recent talks have them trying to maintain an easy flow between 'countries', but.....who knows?
If she is only looking at Dublin as an arrival spot, consider flying to Manchester, traveling to Liverpool gives daily and sometimes twice daily sailings to IofM. That is the route my friend on IofM uses.

Posted by
7025 posts

When I posted a similar question on here several years ago, I was advised to fly rather than ferry to the IOM because the crossing is often, as the adviser put it "a little bumpy". I am still waiting to take my trip to IOM but, when I do go, I will be using the short flight rather than the ferry.

Posted by
4037 posts

Nobody knows about Brexit, especially those involved. So there is no way to compensate for what might (might not) happen.

Posted by
64 posts

Thanks to all of you for offering suggestions as to how to get to Isle of Man. I will pass along to my friend.