Please sign in to post.

Is $1000usd enough for a 3 day in paris and 3 day in rome vacation?

Hello, I have a budget of $1000-$1500usd for food and transportation during this 6 day itinerary excluding already paid lodging. can it be done and still be able to enjoy food and places I want to go? Thank you! Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated =)

Posted by
9110 posts

It would depend on 'where you want to go' wouldn't it?

It'd be more than enough for most people.

Posted by
872 posts

As stated, it really depends on what you want to do. For me, that would be plenty with money to spare (and I went with your lower $1,000). You could have a couple of nice meals, throw in a concert, etc., and it would still work. Have you thought of what you want to do? Does it include your transport between the cities?

Posted by
2768 posts

Does this include the transportation between Paris and Rome? If so, do you have a cheap flight or train, or enough time to book one in advance to get the best rate? If you don't have transportation set up, get it as soon as possible.

This gives you 166/day. Subtract the cost for the train/flight and you're still at well over 100/day. Hotel breakfast might be included, or find a basic cafe with pastries, coffee, etc. Cheap. Have some snacks in your daypack (like granola bars) so you don't make expensive snack choices due to hunger and can instead wait to get to a cafe you will enjoy. Buy picnics at markets sometimes - saves some money and is great fun, too. If you're not going to Michelin star restaurants you should be fine with a bit of planning.

In Paris, buy the museum pass for 2 days (39 Euro, I think?) or 4 days (55?). This will cover your admission to a ton of top sights, let you skip lines some places, and save you money.

Posted by
23283 posts

From her other posts, the goddess may be consorting with a god which means the $1000 has to cover two people. That is a big change to the picture. With local transportation, admission fees, and meals, 1500 would be tight for two people unless you are really running on the budget side.

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I greatly appreciate it. =) Yes, I will be traveling with another and that budget is for the 2 of us (excluding hotel and flights because its already been paid for). I will mainly purchase a museum pass for 4 days in Paris even though Im only there for 3, buy a carnet or individual tickets and split amongst us both because we will mainly be walking to places around same proximity and arrondisements, ticket for transport to/from airport and to/from Versaille, and money for lunch and dinner. In Rome, the only places I will be visiting are Vatican City and the ruins (Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forums). So tickets for both those places, a few metro trips for 3 days plus to/from airport, and food for lunch and dinner. Should I get a Romapass?
*note: budget/quick eats are mainly my targets because we will not have budget, time, and attire for fine dining.

Btw, sorry for the 'avatar', but it has been my personal email for 20+ years and I didn't bother changing it (I just made another professional one as I've gotten older). Anyway, I have added my real name and location though, so we all can 'relate' better. =)

Posted by
2081 posts

@ Stella aka Japmoongoddess

" Should I get a Romapass? "

WHen it comes to things like passes i always crunch the numbers. If the pass includes transportation, its more of a plus (to me). But thats something you will have to decide on. Since you have a budget in mind, i would still crunch the numbers. if its worth it, is up to you at that point. Since you have a better idea on what you want to do/see, it will be easier.

happy trails.

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you Ray! Sounds like a pass is a way to go esp I don't have a lot of time during the trip to wait on the lines to buy tickets at those destinations. =T

Posted by
19099 posts

You didn't say if the transportation from Paris to Rome is included, but I would assume if you've already paid for lodging, you would already have paid for the transportation, too, and it's not included in the $1000. $1000 for 6 days, $167/day for 2 people. I just finished a 21 day trip to Germany (mostly rural) and averaged about that for 2 people including accommodations. Of course rural Germany is less expensive than Paris and Rome, but you should be able to do it, particularly if you don't splurge on food every day.

Posted by
8458 posts

Others may not agree with me, but I would turn the question about food and transportation budget around and ask you if that would be enough for six days in New York City. I think its about the same expense wise, so consider the type of food and places you would have to eat in NYC to meet that budget and you will find the local equivalent in Europe.

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you everyone for your insightful advice!!

@Mira-you nailed it for me! that's exactly what I was planning on doing. thank u for confirming it! =)

@Lee- wow, you are awesome at managing finances for spending that much for a 21 day trip!

@Stan-is it really like NYC? even though their euros worth more? wow, sounds doable to me then =)

thanks for the encouragement guys!

Posted by
8458 posts

Stella JMP

What I mean is that for people from other places in the US, NYC is an expensive city to visit as a tourist. So what would you advise someone visiting NYC? If you can buy a slice of pizza in NYC for $10, you can find one in Rome for 6 euro. Or more. Or less. The exchange rate is irrelevant. If you are expecting to have 4 course meals with wine in a cute trattoria for every meal, it will cost you about what it costs in Manhattan - not cheap. You just have to decide what you're comfortable with. There are plenty of travelers who visit Europe buying their meals in the local markets and from street food vendors, if that's their comfort zone.

Posted by
32212 posts

Stella,

I've only glanced over the other replies, so hopefully I'm not repeating information already posted.

Using the high end of US$1500 is only about €1120 or ~€186 per day for two people. That should be adequate for food, especially as many hotels provide a good breakfast with the cost of the room. However, food budget will be reduced by whatever you spend on transportation. Does the "transportation" category include only Metro and local transit, or does it also include getting from Paris to Rome?

Is your trip ONLY six days? Keep in mind that the trip from Paris to Rome will take the better part of a day (at least six hours), regardless of whether you travel by rail or via a budget flight. That will reduce your sightseeing time somewhat.

BTW, it's much nicer to have your name rather than just an Avatar.

Happy travels!

Posted by
11507 posts

I would not buy a museum pass for 4 days if only there for three.. there are free and cheap sites.. and why pay for what you do not need!! Line skipping is over rated here.. you only need that advantage at a very few places, easy enough to put those places on your two day pass( Orsay, Orangerie and perhaps St Chapelle) . You don't need it to skip long lines at Lourve.. just use alternate entrances.
I think if you sat down and roughed out an itinerary you would see what I meant.

Also,, keep in mind, most museums and some sites tend to close on a monday or tuesday.. so if you are in Paris those days be sure to check if sites you are going to that day are open. It sucks to go across town and arrive at a closed site( it happened to me once.. )

I could do it on your budget.. with a partner too.. in fact I DO it on that budget easily. We always have some cheap meals,, sandwich from a bakery or street stall crepe.. and we shop around for dinners in our price range.. they are all over the place. We don't shop for trinkets etc.. and we walk alot . Don't take hotel breakfasts they are more expensive then finding a cafe.

Posted by
11507 posts

I would not buy a museum pass for 4 days if only there for three.. there are free and cheap sites.. and why pay for what you do not need!! Line skipping is over rated here.. you only need that advantage at a very few places, easy enough to put those places on your two day pass( Orsay, Orangerie and perhaps St Chapelle) . You don't need it to skip long lines at Lourve.. just use alternate entrances.
I think if you sat down and roughed out an itinerary you would see what I meant.

Also,, keep in mind, most museums and some sites tend to close on a monday or tuesday.. so if you are in Paris those days be sure to check if sites you are going to that day are open. It sucks to go across town and arrive at a closed site( it happened to me once.. )

I could do it on your budget.. with a partner too.. in fact I DO it on that budget easily. We always have some cheap meals,, sandwich from a bakery or street stall crepe.. and we shop around for dinners in our price range.. they are all over the place. We don't shop for trinkets etc.. and we walk alot . Don't take hotel breakfasts they are more expensive then finding a cafe.

Posted by
19099 posts

Pat, you can say that again.

(Oh, I guess you did)

Posted by
60 posts

@Stan- so its more or less the same here in NYC and in Paris/Rome, depending on if i want to splurge on a meal or not, k got it! thank u!! =)

@Ken- yes transportation btwn Paris and Rome is already paid for! thank goodness =) I am flying in thurs night, arriving friday noon-monday morning flight to Rome and get there late afternoon until thursday morning =) flight and accommodations are paid for in the package from European Destinations =) now its all about food, and local transportation btwn sites and if i should purchase passes/what kind..what to do, what to do.. =T i will be ok i think, thank u!!

@pat- yes I was going to go for the 2 days pass for sat+sun, but originally i had so many places i wanted to see, so i changed my mind to get the 4 days instead (since there are no 3 days) so i could use it on the date of arrival (fri) as well. but now that everyone tells me i will probably be jetlagged, tired, and stressed on day 1 fri, i think i will stick to the 2-day and go to my top spots refreshed on sat+sun and then save the rest for next time! thanks for confirming this idea!! =) wait, i will be there on free sunday the 1st of dec, so i dont know if passes are still worth it? just to avoid definite lines though right since most ppl will probably try to go on that free sunday =T

thanks everyone again for taking time out to offer me great advice!

Posted by
60 posts

so happy that paris accepts my american credit card with magnetic stripe and my bank hsbc is everywhere! i only withdrew 300euros since day 1 and now its day 3, and i still have 200euros in cash to go to rome tomorrow hopefully they also accept my credit card at most places. thank you everyone for your advices! bonsoir!

Posted by
32212 posts

Stella,

It's good to hear that everything is going well on your trip. I suspect that's at least partially due to the research you did here on the HelpLine.

By now you should be in Rome. Enjoy the pasta and Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
60 posts

i definitely had a great time overall and much thanks to you and everyone else who had helped me on this forum =) i already posted a trip report on that section also, thanks again!! next trip I plan on going to Venice!! btw, pasta and gelato were excellent!! thank u!!

Posted by
3049 posts

It's so nice (and so rare) when someone comes back to the Helpline after a trip to let us know our advice was helpful. Thanks, Stella!

Posted by
4 posts

even this is more than enough when I was in Paris that I had the $ 1,000 one for 7 days with food and shelter razvlechenieyami. Watching what you request. Need to look for cheaper hostels. On other better not to save :)