I will be flying into Heathrow on April 9 and going to A-dam for a week w/ a friend, then back to London for 2 nights. After that my friend leaves and I have 3 months to myself. I'm wondering if it would be more economical to go to Ireland right away or save it until mid-June before I fly out of Heathrow. So, with weather and money in mind, should I go right away or wait? Thanx!
Yeah, its the weather and tourist season prices I am worried about, my entire trip is actually a total of 82 days, so I should be okay.
Here's a quote from the Irish Meteorological Service.
"April is the driest month generally but in many southern parts, June is the driest."
Go to the Giant's Causeway in April, the town of Kinsale in June.
Since I only have time to visit Ireland once on this trip, I guess I just need accept that it will rain. And since June is tourist season it sounds like my best bet may be to go right away. I have heard that Dublin is one of the more expensive cities in Europe, so I may save some $$ on a hostel in April.
Don 't wear denim!
It's so heavy and clammy in that climate.
Microfiber slacks like Ex Officio travel pants are the way to go.
I did think about wearing denim -- and I wore it -- on all three of my Ireland trips. Two were in February, and one in April. Even the April trip had at least one blustery day, and I was glad to have my jeans. For a longer trip, though, I'd definitely pack something else, too.
If a rainy spell sets in, and you have to do any kind of serious walking, like the 3 Km. we did to get into the town of Malahide because we missed the bus on a Sunday, you'll understand why Scots took a fancy to the Kilt.