Please sign in to post.

Ireland or Scotland

14 days. You have to pick one. Which one would you choose?

Posted by
1265 posts

Vick - If you are paying, I'll choose Scotland.

Posted by
1289 posts

I have been to both and would choose Ireland. 14 days is a good amount of time to make your way around Ireland . I took 16 days and also visited Northern Ireland. I spent a week in Scotland . While I had a good time, I did not find it as unique an experience as Ireland. Ireland has so much...Celtic sites, fabulous scenery, excellent music's, and friendly people. (That is not to say Scotland does not have those things too)' There is no wrong choice here but I made my decision on the feeling that I have seen Scotland and probably won't go back. I will return to Ireland for sure. There is just something about Ireland...

Posted by
347 posts

How about this.

If you had 14 days to use, (days. Not travel time) would you rather do all 14 in Ireland or 10 in Ireland and 4 days in Scotland?

Posted by
7688 posts

Difficult decision, both are full of wonderful people. I think for history, I would give the edge to Scotland. Scotland has Edinburgh, which is one of my favorite cities. Also, I love St. Andrews, the highlands and Inverness/Loch Ness.
I haven't been to the Ring of Kerry in Ireland, but understand that is special. The Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland is great. Also, loved Trinity College and the Guinness Brewery in Dublin.

Posted by
81 posts

Been to N. Ireland and Scotland. Had a great time I'd split time. Scotland is wonderful with amazing people, amazing natural beauty, and all that History. Ireland shares all that too. Go to both, the flight from Ireland to Scotland is a short hop.

Posted by
1068 posts

Can't lose with either Ireland or Scotland. Totally and I mean totally depends on you.

Posted by
110 posts

I would go with Ireland BUT it depends on what you want to do while travelling.
J

Posted by
5678 posts

I would definitely go with Scotland, but I am biased. With 14 days you can get to Orkney or the Hebrides and not be rushed. You can stop and walk in the hills. You can go for a boat ride and look for dolphins. You can explore a stone circle that is over 4,000 years old--and you can walk right up to it! Visit castles, hear fiddle music, dance at a Ceilidh. Enjoy the history--see where Prince Charlie landed, look down a sea loch and imagine the viking ships moving toward you. Having a full two weeks is a great luxury.

BTW the thought of limiting myself to 9 days per country is mind boggling to me. I started my European explorations with a semester studying in Germany and that taught me how much I enjoyed really getting to know a place.

Posted by
4536 posts

9 days: with a short trip of 2 or 2-1/2 weeks I like to open jaw the flights and split the time between two countries. With 3 weeks or a month I'd stay longer than 9 days.

Posted by
347 posts

Looks like we will be staying 10 nights in Ireland and 6 in Scotland.

Our flight comes in and out of Glasgow.

Would you recommend taking a ferry out of Belfast to Glasgow? We thought that might be interesting to experience. I haven't seen anyone talk about that here before.

Posted by
347 posts

I don't have the link right now but I found some ferry rides for $22 per person from Ireland to Scotland. It's about a 2 hour ride

They canceled the ferry from Larne to Troon and it doesnt appear that they will reopen. That would get us close to Glasgow and rental cars.

That's too bad. I feel like a ferry ride from Ireland to Scotland would be amazing.

There is still a ferry into Cairnryan . However that is considerably farther south and is about a 2 hour drive from Glasgow. The rental car appears to be quite a bit more expensive as well for returning elsewhere.

Some decisions to make at some point but we have options.

Posted by
977 posts

That is such a difficult choice - like having to say which one your kids you love best!! Both absolutely deserve 14 days of your time.They are two of my favourite destinations, with some of the most natural, spectacular, breathtaking scenery and wonderful people Choose one this time and come back and do the other. You guys are so fortunate living in the Northern Hemisphere. Just a short hop and a jump across the water! I read posts on here from people who go to the UK and/or Europe every year!!! What!!!!! (green with envy)

Posted by
681 posts

Love your choice! You won't regret spending time in both countries.

Posted by
1222 posts

I've done two 16 day trips to Scotland and there is still so much more to see. So I would say SCOTLAND!! My husband has been to both countries and said Scotland hands down.

Posted by
1097 posts

Exactly opposite the previous poster, I've spent 20 days in Ireland over two trips and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Never been to Scotland and I really do want to go there, but there is something about Ireland that just calls. We have to remind ourselves there is so much more to see of the world and we shouldn't keep going back where we have been until we've seen a bit of the rest...